VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    so i found some old VHS tapes of some concerts i taped back in 1980's using an old school shoulder strap recorder .
    .. I took those tapes and burnt to DVD using the Magnovox ZV427MG9 DVD recorder & VCR

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=784038&Q=&is=REG&A=details

then I took the DVD and put in my computer and then used a software called "1Step DVD Copy" to convert to a file.
    ... **(The software lets you convert to .AVI or MP4 files)

Then I take those converted files and transferred to Windows Movie Maker so i can add captions, titles, fades, swipes etc...

NOTE: so far the lengths of the tapes has not been longer than 40 minutes of footage

but i recently did one that was (ONE hour and a HALF long)
    and after watching back in WMV i notice it poor quality (bad pixels) here and there etc...
    so i dont know of the length of the transfer can mess with the quality?
    I went back and watch the DVD and compared the quality and the DVD is so much better

I also noticed on another one that sometimes the audio/video is not really synced up ... its just a bit off

... SO I GUESS MY QUESTION ARE:

1. am i losing quality of the DVD by transferring to AVI then to WMV etc.. ???????????

2. Whats the best to use to for finish version? .AVI .WMV .MOV (and why)

3. what causes the audio/video to get slightly off sync ?

4. can the length of the DVD to be converted contribute to the final version being bad quality?

5. how can i get a final version to be as good, as close, to the DVD ?

... THANKS AND AGAIN so sorry for the naive question but i appreciate any help, any thoughts
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by jcorral2 View Post
    1. am i losing quality of the DVD by transferring to AVI then to WMV etc.. ???????????
    Of course you are. A lot. I'm assuming that by 'AVI' you mean XviD or DivX AVI. And then to WMV? And then to DVD?
    2. Whats the best to use to for finish version? .AVI .WMV .MOV (and why)
    None. They're all lossy (and sometimes very lossy). For an intermediate file you should create a lossless AVI, (UT Video Codec, Lagarith, etc.) Of course, Windows Movie Maker may not accept a lossless AVI as input (don't know, as I would never use it) but surely you can find something - anything - better than WMM.
    3. what causes the audio/video to get slightly off sync ?
    Assuming you're not also reencoding the audio (?), then you've changed the video length somewhere along the line. Or is it only off by the same amount all the way through, in which case you need only find and fix the delay?
    4. can the length of the DVD to be converted contribute to the final version being bad quality?
    Length, no (or only slightly). Bitrate, yes. And again, you're reencoding twice (three times?) so there will be major quality degradation, even if you knew what you were doing.
    5. how can i get a final version to be as good, as close, to the DVD ?
    Use a lossless intermediate file, or do all those edits while reencoding. As far as that goes, DVDSlideshowGUI might be a better program to use. It can do the things you described and it accepts lossless AVI video as input (I think). There will be only a single reencode.

There's a big thread on it here:

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/188464-DVD-slideshow-GUI-development-thread
    Last edited by manono; 21st Jan 2014 at 02:21.
    Quote Quote