VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hello all,

I'm capturing old VHS tapes and, as would be expected, a lot of them are in pretty bad shape.

One tape in particular is doing that thing where the frame seems to scroll up and down rapidly (I don't know what the name for that is), and I was wondering if anyone knew of any software or plugins that might fix it. I definitely don't have the time to go through any frame-by-frame manual process.

Here's a sample of what I'm talking about

I've got the adobe CS4 suite as well as Sony Vegas Pro 12.
    Any ideas as to how I might stabilize these images? Is this a fruitless endeavor?

Thanks,Ben
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Software, definately no. Hardware, maybe

How does this tape display on a tv ?. If it shows the same issue then even hardware probably can not fix this. I guess a very, very weak transfer from your original source to VHS.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by thisguyknows View Post
    I'm capturing old VHS tapes and, as would be expected, a lot of them are in pretty bad shape.
    I'm not being an arse, I just want to point out: that's not "expected" at all. There are plenty of tapes from 2 or 3 decades ago that still play just fine.

You might be unlucky in that your tapes are wrecked for some reason, but you might have specific issues with your capture set-up which are causing these problems. Work these issues out, and you may be able to capture just fine. Don't assume that VHS should be a wobbly jumpy mess. Some blur and noise (especially on colours) is inevitable, but nothing else is.

Cheers,
    David.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by thisguyknows View Post
    No one here could advise in very much detail because you've given so little information. Captured using what capture device and software? Played on what kind of player? Captured to what format? The UTube video is thoroughly ruined but at least it seems to suggest that there was no tbc employed -- but that's not definitely conclusive because the video sample is so badly distorted.
    Last edited by sanlyn; 19th Mar 2014 at 09:34.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Also suggest you, carefully, flip the tape cover and inspect the edge of this tape.

Does the edge have 'teeth' ?
    Quote Quote