VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi, I have a strange problem I can't seem to solve

The first screen capture is my original movie I am trying to pull a clip off of. It is from a dvd (no dvd protection, this is a short film I was part of). I copied the vob files and changed the extension to mpg so that i could grab a clip using Adobe Creative Suite 3 (I know it's old, it is what I had that would run in Windows)

Click image for larger version

Name:	vlcsnap-2014-01-20-10h59m28s75.png
Views:	281
Size:	509.9 KB
ID:	22872

the black border on top and the bottom was part of the original movie

Now check this pic out after I tried a couple of different programs to pull off a 2 minute clip (Adobe Premiere pro CS3 & VSDC free video editor).

Click image for larger version

Name:	vlcsnap-2014-01-20-11h00m54s171.png
Views:	242
Size:	274.6 KB
ID:	22873

Now, if you notice in the upper right corner and the lower right corner, there is a gap in the black border that you seem to be able to see through. The borders on the left and right sides were added by both pieces of software.

I've previously also tried doing this in Cinlerra (linux), and I don't get this strange frame. I recently upgraded the linux distro I was using cinelerra on, and have other problems so I can't use cinlerra to pull this clip off. I've tried everything I can think of to get rid of the weird side frame from the second photo, but i am at a loss.

Has anyone ever seen this before?

FYI, the laptop is windows Vista
    Quote Quote  
  2. The sliver is there in the top right and bottom right, in both images

Do you still have the original vob ? Open it in dgindex or mpg2cut2 , what does it show ? These will show as 1:1 instead of applying AR corrections or letterbox/pillarboxing as done by a player
    Quote Quote  
  3. Multimedia storyteller bigass's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Looks to me like the original author shot the footage at 4:3 and masked it to appear like wide-screen in post-production. The mask did not extend 100% left or right, leaving us a little peek at the underlying 4:3 footage.
    Quote Quote