VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Can anyone differentiate Loudness vs. Normalization in details?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Not sure what context you're referring to loudness, it may mean the average db level of a file Vs.
    normalization which normally refers to raising the levels a uniform amount until the highest peak is at 0db.

Therefore the loudness of a file can be increased even if the peaks are already at 0db.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Yes, you need to give a context for loudness. It can mean different things.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Context referring to audio in general, with wide and broad aspects. Audio alone or audio in videos.
    Therefore the loudness of a file can be increased even if the peaks are already at 0db. normalization which normally refers to raising the levels a uniform amount until the highest peak is at 0db.
    Your response much appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by enim View Post
    Therefore the loudness of a file can be increased even if the peaks are already at 0db.
    Your response much appreciated.
    And the sound quality will be compromised because the equipment can't handle volume over 0 dB.

Also note that normalizing isn't always to 0 dB. Peaks can be normalized to any desired level. In general, you normalize multiple audio tracks so they have the same peak volume level.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Yesterday I had a tough time discussing same topic with industry pros in a meeting coz they were referring to loudness to some unit called LUFS according to EBU R 128-2011, and I was referring loudness to FU.

I could not understand reason for the birth of unit so called LUFS, they could not understand reason of FU either.
    By the way, Does any one know LUFS to dB conversion?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by enim View Post
    I could not understand reason for the birth of unit so called LUFS
    Perceived loudness isn't necessarily based on peak volume. LUFS is an attempt to regulate loudness based on human perception.
    Quote Quote  
  8. @ jagabo
    Also note that normalizing isn't always to 0 dB. Peaks can be normalized to any desired level. In general, you normalize multiple audio tracks so they have the same peak volume level.
    Yep, Peaks can be normalized to any desired level below (-) or maximum up to 0 dB.

@ El Heggunte

Thanks for the link.
    So, as of March 2011, LKFS = LUFS, and,
    1 LUFS = 1 dB => FU (New Unit, yet to be standardize.)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    During the personal introduction, when they referred themselves as industry pros, I replied I just born yesterday with my eyes and mouth wide open.
    Last edited by enim; 19th Jan 2014 at 10:37.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Overall

Peak value shows what is highest level, loudness shows power of signal - check what is difference between power and level (voltage).

Normalization in digital systems is performed to fully utilize system resolution - ie provide highest possible utilization of the quantization levels. However so called crest factor shall be always considered as most important.
    Quote Quote