VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I have a batch of hi 10 h264 files that I am converting with ripbot264 version 1.17.4.

The output to non hi10 looks great and the specs are what I need. However:

The subtitles were not passed through.

Is there an advanced menu option in the batch mode feature of ripbot to keep the subtitles as they are?

Please note I want them to be selectable not burnt in.

---------------------------------------

Also is there a batch way to extract subtitle files from the original file and remux to the newly converted file?

Or at least is there a way to batch extract subtitles and then batch mux the subtitles?

I know how to extract and then remux the subtitles but I only know how to do that one at a time. I forgot the particular tool I used but it was surely a combination of something like mp4box and/or mkvtoolnix, just can't remember right now.

So basically I want to extract subtitle files from about 24 files and then remux them into the converted 24 files. I'd rather not do it one at a time.

--------------------------------------

That's why I want to know how to tell ripbots batch mode how to keep subtitle files for future batch projects. It works great for what I'm doing except the missing subtitle file.

Thanks.

(fyi it's an .ass subtitle file according to mediainfo - and its only a single subtitle file in each video that i need to have selected).
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Ok I partly solved this. I got the batch extraction and muxing figured out.

I used mkvcleaver to batch extract the subtitles from the 25 files i have.

I then used mkvmerge to mux the subtitle files to the converted video files I want to use. I set up the job queue to do that. I initially just dragged and dropped the converted mkv files without subtitles and the subtitle files. Unfortunately they just merged everything into one giant file which isn't what I wanted. So I set up individual jobs for each converted file and the original subtitle file. That just completed and worked perfectly.

However I still don't know how to setup a subtitle passthrough in ripbots batchmode.

The reason I want batchmode is to avoid having to sit through it opening and demuxing each file and setting each file up. I just want to load the folder and use the same setting for the whole folder.

It does let you have access to the x264 commands. I scrolled through it in the text file it shows but i did not see anything about subtitle options.

In the end this post subtitle muxing process does work so I could do this if I have to.

Would handbrake be better for batch (Edit - meant batch converting the hi10 to a normal profile mode) and keeping soft subs?

I would prefer to keep using ripbot though.

Thanks.
    Last edited by yoda313; 19th Jan 2014 at 12:09.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  3. MeGUI's OneClick encoder does batch encoding and should automatically remux embedded subtitles into each output file. I say "should" as it definitely does when opening a single file, but I don't use it for batch encoding myself. I've not tried to re-encode hi10 files either, but it's an Avisynth based GUI and probably uses much the same tools behind the scenes as Ripbot.
    OneClick can do lots of stuff automatically such as resizing and cropping, or you can disable any of that and use an Avisynth script template instead etc. The whole setup can be saved as a OneClick encoder preset. The video and audio encoder configurations can be saved as their own presets and the OneClick encoder configuration lets you select which ones to use.

I'm pretty sure ffcoder can remux embedded subtitles and it can batch encode. It even has a directory watch function which automatically re-encodes files. Once again, I've never used it for batch encoding. In fact I've barely used it, but in theory....
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks hello hello. That sounds like what I want. I'll have to try them out and report back.

Sent from my Prism II using Tapatalk
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post
    MeGUI's OneClick encoder does batch encoding and should automatically remux embedded subtitles into each output file. I say "should" as it definitely does when opening a single file, but I don't use it for batch encoding myself. I've not tried to re-encode hi10 files either, but it's an Avisynth based GUI and probably uses much the same tools behind the scenes as Ripbot.
    OneClick can do lots of stuff automatically such as resizing and cropping, or you can disable any of that and use an Avisynth script template instead etc. The whole setup can be saved as a OneClick encoder preset. The video and audio encoder configurations can be saved as their own presets and the OneClick encoder configuration lets you select which ones to use.

I'm pretty sure ffcoder can remux embedded subtitles and it can batch encode. It even has a directory watch function which automatically re-encodes files. Once again, I've never used it for batch encoding. In fact I've barely used it, but in theory....

This worked great

Thank you.

I had to look around a bit to get all the equivalent ripbot settings that I'm used to. Like passthrough audio and all that. It's worded a bit different but I got what I wanted.

AND SUBTITLES TOO!

So now I have a profile setting for encoding and a batch encoding profile. Only thing is I'll have to change the output folder each time for the batch profile for a new batch.

But the nice thing is I think I have everything i need now.

Strange thing was though the first time I tried it it forced an ac3 audio reencode and it reencoded 720p to sd. I didn't realize the 720 was the first part of the resolution number not the last. I thought it was for 720p not standard def 720x480.

I used the keep input resolution and the never encode audio option tab. Now I realize that is megui's "passthrough" nomenclature.

Well I mean I am reencoding the video but I'm not changing the resolution.

So now I think I am all set and ready to roll.

Thanks again hello_hello.

Edit - only odd thing is it came out with 4 ref frames instead of the 3 I wanted. I had set it to 3 initially. However I did fool around with it a bit so I may not have made that change on the last tweak I made. I hope that doesn't make it unplayable on my tablet. Otherwise I'll have to reencode it again.
    Last edited by yoda313; 25th Jan 2014 at 20:30.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Hi Yoda,
    I just read your PM but only had a vague recollection of the thread in question. My memory is terrible, but a forum search led me here. I'm glad it works as I thought it should.

The number of reference frames thing.... I've never quite worked that out, or I've forgotten if I did, or I discovered it was nothing to worry about, but if it's the way MediaInfo reports the number of reference frames it's probably nothing to worry about.

This isn't an encode I ran using MeGUI. I was messing around with Handbrake, but the result in respect to reference frames is the same regardless of which GUI is used:

Video
    ID : 1
    Format : AVC
    Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
    Format profile : High@L4.1
    Format settings, CABAC : Yes
    Format settings, ReFrames : 4 frames
    Codec ID : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
    Width : 720 pixels
    Height : 576 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 16:9
    Frame rate mode : Variable
    Standard : PAL
    Color space : YUV
    Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
    Bit depth : 8 bits
    Scan type : Progressive
    Writing library : x264 core 130 r2273 b3065e6
    Encoding settings : cabac=1 / ref=3 / deblock=1:0:0 / analyse=0x3:0x113 / me=hex / subme=7 / psy=1 / psy_rd=1.00:0.00 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=1 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=1 / chroma_qp_offset=-2 / threads=3 / lookahead_threads=1 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / interlaced=0 / bluray_compat=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=3 / b_pyramid=2 / b_adapt=1 / b_bias=0 / direct=1 / weightb=1 / open_gop=0 / weightp=2 / keyint=250 / keyint_min=25 / scenecut=40 / intra_refresh=0 / rc_lookahead=40 / rc=crf / mbtree=1 / crf=20.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=0 / qpmax=69 / qpstep=4 / vbv_maxrate=62500 / vbv_bufsize=78125 / crf_max=0.0 / nal_hrd=none / ip_ratio=1.40 / aq=1:1.00
    Language : English
    Default : Yes
    Forced : No
    Color primaries : BT.601 PAL
    Transfer characteristics : BT.709
    Matrix coefficients : BT.601

It's like x264 and MediaInfo don't always agree on how to calculate the number of reference frames. The above encode used the default x264 settings (medium speed preset), so 3 reference frames as shown in the encoder settings should be correct. Someone else might know why MediaInfo and x264 don't always seem to agree. When encoding using the slow x264 speed preset, MediaInfo reports "ReFrames : 5 frames" and shows "ref=5" for the encoder settings. I've rarely changed the number of reference frames manually myself, so I don't know how it'd effect what MediaInfo reports.

On the subject of "someone else may know why".... the above encode was an encode of a PAL DVD. Handbrake sets the colorimetry automatically. Anyone know why it always uses BT.709 for the transfer characteristics? I don't understand.....
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hello hello
    The number of reference frames thing.... I've never quite worked that out, or I've forgotten if I did, or I discovered it was nothing to worry about, but if it's the way MediaInfo reports the number of reference frames it's probably nothing to worry about.
    The encode finished but I haven't tested it on my tablet yet. I don't think it should be that big of a factor. I just wanted 3 as the setting I was looking at in megui said 3 was the default even though 5 was preselected. Don't know why.

It is possible it might be misreading it in mediainfo. I have read in other threads that it isn't the most accurate codec identifier.

Is there another one? I don't think gspot has been updated in ages. Could be wrong though. There was also one that started with avi but forgot that one.

Anyhow can't answer the question you posted at the end of your post.

But I am glad I've got a workable solution now to save steps on my journey here.

Until I get a tablet that can play hi 10 natively that is. Not sure when that will be. I read they do exist - at least for 720p hi 10 material which is what I have.
    Quote Quote  
  8. I knew I'd asked about the reference frame thing at some stage.... at least when it comes to the way their usage is displayed in the log file (MeGUI's log file) but looking back I think the problem was, I didn't really understand the answer. Maybe you might do better...
    http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=1609489#post1609489

A quick encode using x264's default settings resulted in another log file very similar to the second one in the post I linked to. I still don't really understand it, but once again MediaInfo displays "ReFrames : 4 frames" while the encoder settings shows "ref=3".
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by yoda313 View Post
    I just wanted 3 as the setting I was looking at in megui said 3 was the default even though 5 was preselected. Don't know why.
    It may be due to you having selected a different x264 speed preset. MeGUI behaves itself and tells you what it's doing. For example if the medium x264 speed preset is selected, it'll show 3 reference frames in advanced settings. If you change the speed preset to slow, the reference frame setting will change to 5, because that's the new default. If you use the "load defaults" button, it'll change back to 3 because the default x264 speed preset is medium.

The main thing to watch out for, is I'm pretty sure changing an x264 speed preset will reset all the appropriate x264 advanced settings back to their default values.... whatever the appropriate default value is for the selected preset..... so if you want to change an advanced setting manually you might need to select the desired speed preset first, then change individual x264 setting changes second.

The same applies to selecting an x264 tuning. Doing so also resets some of x264's advanced settings according to the chosen tuning. Mainly deblocking and Psy settings, although I'm pretty sure the animation tuning also changes the number of B and ref frames.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    you having selected a different x264 speed preset.
    Yep I selected the very fast preset for that batch job.

so if you want to change an advanced setting manually you might need to select the desired speed preset first, then change individual x264 setting changes second.
    I'll be sure to be more thorough next time to make sure everything is the way I want it.

Good news though. My batch encode works just fine on my tablet

The subtitles work ok and there isn't any hiccups or stuttering that I could tell in my brief test. I just played the file and skipped through the video in various places and let it run for a few seconds. Seems just fine.

So I think I'll be happy with this approach for hi10.

Thanks again.
    Quote Quote