VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have an AVI video that has this info:
    Codec: H264 - MPEG-4 AVC (part 10) (H264)
    Resolution 352x240
    Frame Rate: 29.970029
    Decoded Format: Plana 4:2:0 YuV

The quality isn't that good. It was from security camera footage for a burglary. I'm trying to make it clearer to see faces, and just overall better quality!

I'm very dumb when it comes to this stuff, but can anyone tell me if it is even possible to create a higher quality video from this in any way? Also, is it possible to create a much "bigger" pixel video with good quality? I'm not concerned with filesize or anything else other than better quality!

HELP!!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by derek123 View Post
    I have an AVI video that has this info:
    Codec: H264 - MPEG-4 AVC (part 10) (H264)
    Resolution 352x240
    Frame Rate: 29.970029
    Decoded Format: Plana 4:2:0 YuV

The quality isn't that good. It was from security camera footage for a burglary. I'm trying to make it clearer to see faces, and just overall better quality!

I'm very dumb when it comes to this stuff, but can anyone tell me if it is even possible to create a higher quality video from this in any way? Also, is it possible to create a much "bigger" pixel video with good quality? I'm not concerned with filesize or anything else other than better quality!

HELP!!
    you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. you can clean it up a bit with some filtering but don't expect too much.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You can't "increase" quality. As noted, filtering may clean it up a bit, but based on the source, it won't be the type of detail that you are wanting. You can't add data/information/detail that isn't in the source material.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    "security camera" sounds like an oxymoron. How often have we seen security footage that
    is so poor, it's worthless? So much for security.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    "security camera" sounds like an oxymoron. How often have we seen security footage that
    is so poor, it's worthless? So much for security.
    security cameras were never meant to be used as a stand alone device, they were meant to be actively monitored by security personal who could then respond if they saw something going down.

but on their own they're practically worthless, you're better of spending the money on some strong door and window bars and some strong locks.
    Quote Quote  
  6. thanks for the replies(I think). Can anyone help me out a little more by suggesting exactly what I can try? I've messed around with VLC player's filters but not much there. I wonder, that if the video is interlaced, would de-interlacing it with some filter help "clear" the picture?

any other suggestions are greatly appreciated. thank you!
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Can you post some of the video so we can get some better idea's ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Resolution 352x240
    I have never seen interlacing at that resolution. It is usually the result of throwing out the half the lines thus removing the interlacing.
    Quote Quote