VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello guys, here's my problem.

I bought the UK (PAL) edition of House MD but only seasons 6-8 have subtitles. Since I really need subtitles to watch the show I figured I could just download SRT subtitles for the other seasons and load them with Media Player Classic while playing the DVD.

I know my DVDs play at 25fps, and of course there are no SRTs available for House @ 25fps. So I downloaded the only DVDRip subtitles I could find (FoV's) guessing they must be meant for the NTSC DVDs playing at 23.976fps.

Using Subtitle Workshop and Subtitle Edit (I tried them both) I switched the frame rate of the SRTs from 23.976 to 25 and guess what... subs are still out of sync. I tried switching different frame rates (from 23.978 to 25; from 24 to 25) to no avail. The resynced subtitles start in sync and then they slowly goes off... which means there's a frame rate issue.

Any idea about what I'm doing wrong? Thank you for your time.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi John,

It's probably not just a frame rate issue. Subtitles from the net is often based on TV-rips where commercials has been cut out, and in some cases the dvd version has extra scenes (I even remember a tv series where they replaced an actress on the dvd version).

So you can try to find a dvd subtitle rip on the net, rip the subtitles yourself, or do a manual sync (e.g. using waveform + shortcuts in SE).
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by Nikse View Post
    Hi John,

It's probably not just a frame rate issue. Subtitles from the net is often based on TV-rips where commercials has been cut out, and in some cases the dvd version has extra scenes (I even remember a tv series where they replaced an actress on the dvd version).
    Yes but I own the UK DVDs and I'm loading subtitles onto them. The video content should be identical as we're talking about SRTs for the US DVD version loaded on the UK DVD version.

Originally Posted by Nikse View Post
    So you can try to find a dvd subtitle rip on the net, rip the subtitles yourself, or do a manual sync (e.g. using waveform + shortcuts in SE).
    My DVDs have no subtitles and I can't find any bitmap rip so I guess I'll have to do a manual sync...
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hm, I cannot ready properly ;(
    OK, if the source is dvd too, then I guess the sync should be pretty easy... I would try "Sync -> Visual sync" in SE
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by John2K View Post
    Yes but I own the UK DVDs and I'm loading subtitles onto them. The video content should be identical
    There's no reason to expect that. Try aligning the first and last subtitles in Subtitle Workshop. Even that may not work if scenes are cut/inserted.
    Quote Quote  
  6. This is not a framerate issue since SRT records its timing as typical time units(hr:mms.ms), not in frame no.
    (you can confirm this by opening the srt file with a text editor)
    The content of DVD sold in other countries may be different and you cannot tell if the subtitle group is using the same DVD release as yours for the timing. (DVD/BD sometimes include previously removed scenes as a "bonus")

Try to shift the whole subtitle timeline as what jagabo have suggested.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Have a look at this site http://www.podnapisi.net/house-m-d-2004-subtitles-p1142897
    I did a search usings these parameters English subtitles DVDrip House MD 25fps
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote