VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. hi,

i paid for and downloaded a perfectly good 1080p music video with karaoke words and dual audio. one track with the singing and one track with just the music. the problem is that my karaoke machine wont play 1080p. so all i want to do is down size this to 720x480. sounds like the simplest thing to do but i spent about 4 hours now trying and no go. it needs to be in mpg format. when i use sony vegas pro, after i render and output it, there is only 1 audio track. how do i keep both audio track and just lower the resolution? i tried virtual dub, tmpgenc, handbrake, super. but nothing works. i did some googling and found some articles about dual audio as in left audio and right audio. this is not the case. if you go on VLC, and goto audio tracks, there is cleary a track 1 and a track 2. after i try to down size it using sony vegas, there is only 1 track to select.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Extract/convert the audio from your original video with for example Pazera Free Audio Extractor. Convert to mpa(mpeg1 layer2) or ac3 audio and it should work best in a mpg file.

In tmpgenc(file->video tools->multiplexing) or ImagoMPEG-Muxer can you then try add a secondary audio track to your current mpg file.
    Quote Quote  
  3. that worked perfectly!! thank you. it was quick and easy to follow.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Great!

And it worked in the karaoke machine?
    Quote Quote  
  5. yep. worked perfectly. thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I'm trying to rip my karaoke DVD's (with multi-plex audio) to my HDD and play on CompuHost program. I want to keep the multi-plex audio option (with and without vocals). I used Smart Ripper to separate into FOB files and Converter Factory to change FOB files to Avi. but I always loose the multi-plex audio. Is there a special setting on Smart Ripper? or is there a better way to do this? I am not the most computer savy guy so keep that in mind if you have instructions for me. I don't mind buying software if it will do what I'm looking for.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    @karaokedude, you really should have started your own post!

I hate to say this, but I wouldn't use either SmartRipper nor "Converter Factory" for this. Of course, this all depends on where you are getting your files from in the first place.

But let's say that you are getting them from CDGs, Karaoke VCDs and Karaoke DVDs (which are the main avenues of Commercial distribution of karaoke material).

1. CDGs: Just use the CDG ripper+converter function built into CompuHost. You now have your CD+G file on your HDD. Done!

2. Karaoke VCD's: Please completely ignore the ripping/copying portion suggested in CompuHost's online help. They don't really or completely know what they are talking about WRT VCDs. To correctly rip ANY VCD material, one should use VCDGear, VCDEasy, or ISOBuster and when extracting the *.DAT files, the application will do the renaming to *.MPG - WHILE IT IS FIXING THE DATA! This is important because there is a bunch of extra buffer/garbage bytes mixed into every sector of a VCD's MPEG because of VCD's error correction scheme. You need to remove those during extraction when the app can tell which bytes are true data payload and which are buffer/garbage/EC parity, not after. If left in, they can contribute to hangs, skipping, etc during playback.
    Once you have extracted and de-"sectorized" the *.DAT files into clean *.MPG files, you can continue with the usual method of renaming according to the accepted naming scheme. At that point, you don't need to do anything else, because CompuHost natively fully accepts Karaoke VCD *.MPG files, as-is.

3. Karaoke DVDs: Rip your DVDs using a more recent DVD ripper app (DVDFab, AnyDVD, even DVD Decrypter). Outputted files should be *.MPG files consisting of MPEG1 or MPEG2 video and LPCM (like WAV) or AC3 or DTS or MP2 (Mpeg1,layer2) audio. What you do now is very dependent upon how your computer is set up.
    CompuHost works with any videofile that is seen by DirectShow, so you have a number of ways to go. Since default installs of Windows all have MPEG1 video and audio and LPCM audio support, you could just get DirectShow source filters for MPEG2 video, AC3 audio and DTS audio, and you could natively read the original ripped *.MPG file directly in CompuHost.
    If that isn't an easy possibility for you, then I would suggest using a VOB/MPG-to-AVI converter app to convert to an AVI that uses a standard, high-quality codec (one that can also be accepted by CompuHost, whether by default or by addition of their source filters). You probably want to use the most efficient codec commonly available (AVC/h.264) or its older and slightly less efficient sibling (Divx/Xvid/MPG4-ASP), which should give you a file that is both still high-quality and also small size. Encoder/converters that I would recommend that work for these types would be MeGUI, Handbrake or Hybrid. (BTW, these are almost always GUIs to CLI backend encoders like ffmpeg)
    Since you don't actualy describe what kind of stream/track structure is occuring in the "multiplexed" audios, for the next part YMMV. Assuming they are multiple tracks/channels (L vs. R) in a single stream, it should work fine as is. If they are multiple streams, you can demux & extract your audio from your video using ImagoMPEG-Muxer, then use Audacity to load each separate stream into L & R channels of a new track. Then export to standard 2-channel WAV (or similar file, since it should easily be compatible). Then re-multiplex them with the resultant AVI video, using something like AVIMux-GUI (all the while removing the AVIs originally converted audio). Your new AVI should work exactly as you need in CompuHost.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  8. Sorry I didn't start a new post, this is my first time on the site and I wasn't sure how everything worked. Your reply was very thorough, but I have a few more questions:
    When ripping DVD's, you said my next step is very dependent on how my computer is set up. I'm not sure what you are referring to. How should it be set up? You also said I should get 'DirectShow' source filters. This is where is get lost! I don't know anything about filters. Is this a program I download? Maybe this is beyond my abilities as I'm not a programer. I ordered a new laptop yesterday, should I have asked for something specific to assist in this process? I'm sure it's not too late to change my order.
    Last edited by karaokedude; 12th Mar 2014 at 18:01.
    Quote Quote