VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Many people seek slowmotion frame interpolation s/w. I've tried many like mvtools, MSU, MotionPerfect and Twixter. All have strengths and weaknesses. Recently I tried the free slowmo Video and it works pretty well. It's not perfect, but it does a decent job and allows for "curve" (aka speed ramps) adjustments for slomo.

Documentation is sparse, but the average video editor should figure it out easy enough. Here is an example of a constant 6x slowmo:
    Image Attached Files
    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
  2. Can you upload the source video?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Actually I feed it an Avisynth script using DirectShowSource and trim functions. Here is a cut section I believe is close enough. The cut was made using AviDemux:
    Image Attached Files
    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    i'm thinking that the software is changing the ms in the headers somehow. can you do the slowmo conversion straight to another codec, like xvid, and post that ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Just for kicks, I did a side by side "speed ramp" slowmo comparison. The window on the left is slowmo Video using curves. The window on the right is direct "speed ramps" in AviUtl. Left window is frame interpolation and right window is frame duplication.

Although the left clip is smoother, I actually prefer the right clip because it is cleaner......

* I updated the comparison video with text for reference *
    Image Attached Files
    Last edited by racer-x; 19th Jan 2014 at 08:30. Reason: better example
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    i'm thinking that the software is changing the ms in the headers somehow. can you do the slowmo conversion straight to another codec, like xvid, and post that ?
    Are you saying you can't view my mp4 clips? MPC-HC should play them without any issues....
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    no, no problem playing your clips.

your latest sample cleared up my theories. thanks. yeah, i was curious because a long time ago while investigating other frame rate manipluation ideas i stumbled upon a slowmotion techique through avisynth: selectevery and resizing or some combination thereof, i can't recall exactly. but your post reminded me of that experience. so i tried again, but the closest i could come up with is the simple assumefps(12) but which doesn't throw in blending sections of frames to create the necessary extra frames to give you the illusion of slowmotion. i know that some clips using your method will come out un-noticable while others will be obvious (your latest clip) for instance.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Actually my SlowMo Comparison video I posted would make a good reference video to show advantages and disadvantages of Frame Interpolation vs Frame Duplication as used to achieve Slow Motion........
    Quote Quote  
  9. Here's the same slowdown with mvtools in AviSynth.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah mvtools works pretty well, I've been using it for years. It's about equal (quality wise) with slowmo Video. Most people prefer a GUI vs scripts when they work with video and that's the point of this thread.

The advantage slowmo Video has over mvtools and others is that it allows curved speed adjustment to create variable speed, even bringing it to a complete stop and accelerating. For those that are "anal retentive" (and you know who you are), it also allows adjusting motion-flow in post to increase quality....

You could of course use mvtools or MSU, then use your NLE to adjust speed ramps if you wanted however.........
    Quote Quote