VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    The title says it all. Is there a free program that will do this for me?

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    A BR standalone that converts Pal to NTSC,most LG models will do this. They will play the PAL disk if it's region free. If it's not region free,rip with AnydvdHD and burn it to a BD25 or BD50. Or you could convert to an MKV file after ripping it. BR players that play in file mode will play it even if it's still in PAL 25fps.
    Last edited by wulf109; 17th Jan 2014 at 17:46.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the reply.

But my problem is I want to play the concert, which is ripped to my PC, on my Oppo BDP-80 blu-ray player from a blu-ray disc. My Oppo plays the disc fine but my Toshiba HDTV can't display it because it is a NTSC HDTV. Thus my desire to convert it to NTSC from PAL, and then burn it to a blank blu-ray disc. Anyone know how to do this with a free program?

Even my Onkyo AVR rejects the video signal, saying there is a resolution error, even before it gets to the TV. Of course my PC has no problem playing the files on the HDTV, but I want to be able to get it playing on the Oppo.

This is so easy to do with DVDs. I hope it is not impossible with Blu-rays.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Sure, a simple AviSynth script can easily slow it to 23.976fps or 24fps for some encoder that encodes for Blu-Ray specs. You'll have to slow the audio (eac3to) and lose the menus as well (I think).

For example, XviD4PSP can take the script and convert it to compliant Blu-Ray and mux the audio you made previously.

Maybe someone knows of an all-in-one program to do what you want.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You could use Vidcoder to convert to MKV,set the output framerate to 23.976 to create an NTSC file. Then load the MKV file in TSmuxer and set it to output a BR directory structure. Burn the result.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I looked at the specs on your Oppo player and it appears to convert PAL to NTSC? It lists PAL frame rates as available.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Your Oppo player does convert PAL to NTSC and will output an NTSC signal that any NTSC HDTV should play. Check your players menu there may be a setting you need to change.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by wulf109 View Post
    Your Oppo player does convert PAL to NTSC and will output an NTSC signal that any NTSC HDTV should play. Check your players menu there may be a setting you need to change.
    I just looked this up in the manual and the Oppo does not convert PAL to NTSC for playback on a NTSC HDTV. It can play PAL discs but you must have a PAL HDTV for the video to be displayed. Bummer ...

I am trying Vidcoder with the file right now and will get back to you with the results. The only problem I foresee is that the conversion from 25fps to 23.97 always gives you dropped frames on playback. I wonder if setting it to 30fps instead will work out better?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    There is another approach I've used to convert PAL to NTSC. TFM Audio Tool will convert the audio from to PAL to NTSC. Then load your BR directory into TSmuxer, uncheck the audio stream. Then add the audio stream that TFM created. In TSmuxer there's an option to change video frame rate,set it to 24/1000. Then let TSmuxer create a BR directory. This way you don't need encode with Vidcoder.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Todd Sauve View Post
    I just looked this up in the manual and the Oppo does not convert PAL to NTSC for playback on a NTSC HDTV. It can play PAL discs but you must have a PAL HDTV for the video to be displayed. Bummer ...

If this is correct then what the hell has happened to Oppo? This kind of conversion can be done in far cheaper BluRay players.

It might be a good idea to just go to a place like
    http://www.220-electronics.com/
    http://www.world-import.com/
    and buy a converting BluRay player. Kind of sucks to spend a fortune on Oppo and find this out, but if you're going to deal with PALish BluRays on a regular basis, this might be your most sensible option.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Unfortunately, the vidcoder program did not produce a playable blu-ray. I burned it to a dl DVD with imgburn. My Oppo doesn't recognise it, even after changing the fps to 23.976.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'll just repeat your Oppo will convert Pal to NTSC. There's a video output selection in the menu,it has 3 options. It should be set to NTSC,don't set it to PAL or Multi. The manual states in several places that it converts PAL to NTSC. It could be a region problem but that seems unlikely since you have the files on your Hard Drive.
    Quote Quote  
  13. wulf109 is right:

Ultimate Convenience:

PAL/NTSC Conversion - The BDP-80 supports NTSC and PAL systems for both disc playback and video output. It can also convert content of one system for output in another. (Subject to DVD and BD region restrictions.)
    http://www.avsforum.com/t/1219906/official-oppo-bdp-80-owners-thread

This is the second time he's asked you to set it up for NTSC. Did you actually decrypt the disc? If so the region restriction should have been removed.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    OK, I've solved part of the problem! My Oppo was set to "Multi" in the TV output settings but it should have been set to "NTSC". That's why it played back the sound but gave no picture.

Now it can't seem to get past the "Song Selection" menu. I select a song and the track changes to the selection but I get no video or audio playback. Only the display shows the track and time but the picture and sound are not there. Hmm ...

So I am going to try re-ripping just the "Main Movie" part of the Blu-ray and see if that will get rid of the "Song Selection" menu that the player just can't seem to process.

I hate these kind of problems. They waste perfectly good blank discs that are not cheap. Grr ...

Thanks guys. I'll update you once I get this sorted out.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Eureka gentlemen!

After much fiddling around with a couple of programs trying to just rip the main movie from the BD folder I finally succeeded by using BDRebuilder. And it only took about five minutes! Then I had it auto-burn the results to a BD disc using imgburn.

Now it has just the main movie on the disc, and not that screwed up "Song Selection" menu. It plays back perfectly and I am now a happy camper.

Thanks for all your help folks. If you are ever in Calgary I'll buy you a beer!
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    There is another approach I've used to convert PAL to NTSC. TFM Audio Tool will convert the audio from to PAL to NTSC. Then load your BR directory into TSmuxer, uncheck the audio stream. Then add the audio stream that TFM created. In TSmuxer there's an option to change video frame rate,set it to 24/1000. Then let TSmuxer create a BR directory. This way you don't need encode with Vidcoder.
    This is an excellent solution, fast and without degrading video quality. I have lot of PAL Blu-rays that I need to convert to NTSC Blu-rays; I have tried several convertors, unfortunately not only that these conversions last very long but I am not satisfied with the video quality that I am getting.

What bothers me is: My PAL Blu-rays are (mainly) 1080 interlaced 25 fps - if I convert frame rate to 23.976 fps the resulting HD video/Blu-ray will not be according to Blu-ray specs: at 23.976 fps 1080 video should be progressive.

Do you have experience with interlaced 23.976 fps HD videos/Blu-rays? Will they play in USA Blu-ray players?

Another option: conversion in the same way to 29.97 fps would be according to Blu-ray specs for interlaced 1080 but this speed up both video & audio for about 20% what is unacceptable.

Thank you very much in advance.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by verabgd View Post
    What bothers me is: My PAL Blu-rays are (mainly) 1080 interlaced 25 fps - if I convert frame rate to 23.976 fps the resulting HD video/Blu-ray will not be according to Blu-ray specs: at 23.976 fps 1080 video should be progressive.
    You could deinterlace the 25i to 50p and then decimate it to 25p and then convert it to 24p.

Obviously you would lose information.

Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This is an excellent solution, fast and without degrading video quality. I have lot of PAL Blu-rays that I need to convert to NTSC Blu-rays; I have tried several convertors, unfortunately not only that these conversions last very long but I am not satisfied with the video quality that I am getting.

Do you have experience with interlaced 23.976 fps HD videos/Blu-rays? Will they play in USA Blu-ray players?

Another option: conversion in the same way to 29.97 fps would be according to Blu-ray specs for interlaced 1080 but this speed up both video & audio for about 20% what is unacceptable.

Are you sure your video is truly interlaced? Because 1080p25 isn't Blu-Ray compliant, 1080p25 video may be encoded as 1080i25 to make it Blu-Ray compliant. (From what I have seen with similarly encoded DVD video, each interlaced frame will look like a progressive frame (no combing) when viewed in an editor with deinterlacing turned off.) The original source might even be 1080p24, and every 25th frame is a duplicate.

I haven't done any such conversions myself, but I suspect that deinterlacing to 50p and frame decimating would be the wrong way to go if this is indeed progressive video encoded as interlaced. I know there are others who can tell you how to properly handle the video if this situation applies. They might need a one-minute sample for testing and evaluation.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by verabgd View Post
    Unless there's interlacing visible, they aren't interlaced. They were only encoded as interlaced. There's a difference. If they are films, then the content should be progressive. Maybe one of the programs you use has the ability to set the progressive flag without reencoding. In any event, an educated guess says however you get it to 23.976fps it'll play in a Blu-Ray player. I think the main problem might be that it won't be deinterlaced since 23.976fps content is supposed to be progressive. And, of course, yours won't need deinterlacing if progressive to begin with.

Edit: usually_quiet beat me to it.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you very much for your answers.

Unfortunately these 1080i 25fps videos (these were broadcasts actually) are truly interlaced - when I turn off deinterlacing in video editor or PC player this is more than obvious. They are also mainly MPEG-2, not H264.

I authored one 1 hour long 23.976fps Blu-ray and it plays fine in my European 4 years old Sony BD-480 (this player can play both PAL & NTSC); player deinterlaces video showing info 1080/24p but this does not mean that such Blu-ray will be deinterlaced in USA player (assuming that it will play at all).

Any suggestion or comment will be welcome. I would really like to make it works - to preserve outstanding video quality of most of them.

As it seems that the safest solution is to re-encode to 29.97fps (interlaced?) 1080 NTSC (MPEG-2 or H264? - I would prefer H264, according to my experience converted H264 NTSC video is of better quality) I would appreciate some reliable encoder recommendation. I have tried "good old" Canopus Procoder (excellent results but horribly slow, about 2 days for 3 hours of 1080i video - my processor is AMD Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2GHz Black Edition), I do not like Nero, I also recently tried Adobe Encore CS6 - encoding is not slow but resulting NTSC video has strange issues with background and shiny objects. I also tried Handbrake but for unknown reason files encoded with Handbrake will not play in Blu-ray player after Blu-ray authoring.

Quote Quote  
  21. Deinterlace and then DGPulldown 25->29.97 for your MPEG2 ones?
    Last edited by videoh; 22nd May 2015 at 11:24.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by videoh View Post
    Deinterlace and then DGPulldown 25->29.97 for your MPEG2 ones?
    Thank you very much for your answer.

I am sorry for such elementary and ignorant question but what can I use to deinterlace 1080i MPEG-2 video without re-encoding?
    Quote Quote  
  23. Originally Posted by verabgd View Post
    I am sorry for such elementary and ignorant question but what can I use to deinterlace 1080i MPEG-2 video without re-encoding?
    The only way to do this is to use a deinterlacing player -- otherwise, making such a drastic change to the video requires re-encoding.
    Quote Quote  
  24. That's right, to use DGPulldown you'll have to re-encode. Sorry if I missed your asking to do things without re-encoding. It would have been possible if the source was progressive.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by videoh View Post
    Deinterlace and then DGPulldown 25->29.97 for your MPEG2 ones?
    I like very much the fact that DGPulldown does not change video length/speed (consequently these is not need to change audio length/speed) so I have tried to only deinterlace and convert my 1080 interlaced 25fps video to 1080 progressive 25fps (and then apply DGPulldown changing fps to 29.97) but than I realized than again I have the same problem: 1080p 29.97 is not Blu-Ray compliant. Any suggestion?
    Quote Quote  
  26. Originally Posted by verabgd View Post
    I like very much the fact that DGPulldown does not change video length/speed (consequently these is not need to change audio length/speed) so I have tried to only deinterlace and convert my 1080 interlaced 25fps video to 1080 progressive 25fps (and then apply DGPulldown changing fps to 29.97) but than I realized than again I have the same problem: 1080p 29.97 is not Blu-Ray compliant. Any suggestion?
    After dgpulldown your video qualifies as 1080i.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Banned
    Search PM
    I have the same problem: 1080p 29.97 is not Blu-Ray compliant. Any suggestion?
    Do you have to use blu-ray disks?

Many TVs and blu-ray players play video files from a usb drive or usb stick or can even play straight video files from a blu-ray drive.
    You may not even need to convert the framerate.

By the way HD is neither PAL nor NTSC those terms only apply to the old standard definition video format.

Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    After dgpulldown your video qualifies as 1080i.
    @verabgd Yes. Remember the discussion above regarding 1080i25 Blu-Ray movies actually being 1080p25? 1080p29.97 can also be flagged as interlaced (1080i29.97) to get around the Blu-Ray spec's limitations.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by newpball View Post
    I have the same problem: 1080p 29.97 is not Blu-Ray compliant. Any suggestion?
    Do you have to use blu-ray disks?

Many TVs and blu-ray players play video files from a usb drive or usb stick or can even play straight video files from a blu-ray drive.
    You may not even need to convert the framerate.

By the way HD is neither PAL nor NTSC those terms only apply to the old standard definition video format.

Yes, I have to use Blu-ray disks and they do not play in USA Blu-ray standalone players, except in so-called multi-region BD players, which claims to play both PAL & NTSC. I make them region-free, to avoid confusion.

I would not agree that there is no PAL & NTSC HD: PAL is 25fps or 50 fps, NTSC is 29.97fps or 59.94fps. So-called film is 24 fps or 23.976 fps; I do not have such HD videos.

From Blu-ray specs:

Frame rate:

24 / 23.976 fps (film)
    29.97 / 59.94 fps (NTSC)
    25 / 50 fps (mandatory in PAL regions only)

I am from Europe and my Blu-ray player can play everything: PAL, NTSC, file mode in various formats so I do not know what are the possibilities in USA.
    Quote Quote  
  30. Banned
    Search PM
    I would not agree that there is no PAL & NTSC HD: PAL is 25fps or 50 fps, NTSC is 29.97fps or 59.94fps. So-called film is 24 fps or 23.976 fps; I do not have such HD videos.
    Agree or not you are mistaken.

You are mixing up framerates with video systems.

High definition is neither PAL not NTSC.

Quote Quote