VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Hi All,

Can I use a 19V 4.74A power supply on a Acer 23inch LCD monitor that need 19V 2.1A input ?

Thanks in advance.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Depends whether the original and the new power supply are regulated or not and if they both are the same type output, AC or DC.

If the 2.1A unit is just a transformer (would be heavy, at that output it would weigh over a pound), then the answer is no.

If it's a switching supply (relatively light, less than 1/2 a pound), then yes. It would also say the output is regulated on the sticker.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks. The load should be light since it's a LCD monitor.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If doesn't hurt anything to use an adapter with more current capability. What current it'll draw is a function of ohm's law, ie. incidental really to the process of supplying volts. If it had half the amps that would be a problem.

What does matter, along with whether it's actually a DC supply or not as mentioned, is the polarity of the connector. Usually the outer connector is ground but sometimes it's positive, and that's not really unusual.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry. When it comes to expert, all the fine details are very important.

It's a Delta laptop power supply that takes in 110-240V AC and output 19V DC 4.74A.
    Strangely enough, the output socket fits exactly into the LCD monitor power input.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    oh use the PSU already and tell us what happened
    For the nth time, with the possible exception of certain Intel processors, I don't have/ever owned anything whose name starts with "i".
    Quote Quote  
  7. was that a siren?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by Hoser Rob View Post
    If doesn't hurt anything to use an adapter with more current capability. What current it'll draw is a function of ohm's law, ie. incidental really to the process of supplying volts. If it had half the amps that would be a problem.

What does matter, along with whether it's actually a DC supply or not as mentioned, is the polarity of the connector. Usually the outer connector is ground but sometimes it's positive, and that's not really unusual.
    Good of you to mention the plug polarity, but you're more or less correct on the supply capacity.If you're talking about a regulated power supply, yes it will always output the same voltage (within tolerance) as long as the current draw from the load is below its rating (always in Watt).

On the other hand, a simple wall wart that only uses a transformer and diodes to convert AC to DC will have a varying voltage in relation to the current being drawn and most of the time the rating is in Volt-Amp. You can easily verify this with a voltmeter; they never read the voltage on the label, it's not unusal for a 12 V brick to read 18-20 V on a meter.

A quick example, the current (I) being drawn from the power supply is that which is required by the load (R), R and I are physically set by the electronics of the device. If the device required 12 Volt and 0.5 Amp to operate with an original 7 VA supply and you swap the power supply with one that has 14 VA capacity, the device's R and I requirements have not changed, but pulling 0.5 A from that supply might present 16 V to the device (it's not a perfectly linear relation).

A higher voltage is not that much of a bad thing in itself, the problem comes from the device's power dissipation capability. Easy way to visualize this, go in your PC's BIOS, only raise the CPU voltage by 10% and watch the temperature rise.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by pchan View Post
    Sorry. When it comes to expert, all the fine details are very important.

It's a Delta laptop power supply that takes in 110-240V AC and output 19V DC 4.74A.
    Strangely enough, the output socket fits exactly into the LCD monitor power input.
    Don't you see regulated or switching on the label? I'm 95% sure the laptop supply is regulated and will work just fine, but certainty would be nice. Like Hoser Rob said, watch the plug polarity (also on the label).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by pchan View Post
    It's a typical switch-mode PSU brick. Use it FWIW.
    For the nth time, with the possible exception of certain Intel processors, I don't have/ever owned anything whose name starts with "i".
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for all the replies. It works.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by pchan View Post
    Thanks for all the replies. It works.
    Good.

Originally Posted by Constant Gardener View Post
    was that a siren?
    that was my cat
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    No siren.

Years ago, I opened up a Sony TV because one of AV connections was bad. I thought it was OK since it was unplugged. That suckers was fully charged and it gave me a jolt. From that on, I am extra careful with electrical stuffs.
    Quote Quote