VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi,

I'm new to this forum so I hope I posted in the right place! Bascially, I'm trying to convert an MP4 movie file to DVD format so I can watch it on my DVD player, but everytime I try, my DVD player's do not read the disk. I used AVS video converter and followed a step by step guide online in order to convert the file. I converted the file to DVD PAL - standard play (As I live in the UK I was informed this is the format most DVD players here read or something).

Once that was done, I used winrar to split the file into two as it was too big to fit on one disk and I then used imgburn to burn the first folder to the disk (I also followed a step by step guide for this). After all this, the DVD still won't read and I have no idea why! I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to this sort of thing. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong? Any help would be much appreciated!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Last edited by julitomg; 16th Jan 2014 at 11:14. Reason: added link to guide
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Winrar? What did you split?

Good dvd converters should be able to fit the movie on a dvd . Like avstodvd, convertxtodvd, tmpgenc authoring works, etc.
    Quote Quote  
  4. A Member since June, 2004 Keyser's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by misshaylzy View Post
    Once that was done, I used winrar to split the file into two
    What file? Don't tell me you split an ISO and burned just part of it! You have to burn the whole thing!
    "The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by misshaylzy View Post
    Once that was done, I used winrar to split the file into two as it was too big to fit on one disk...
    And you wonder why it doesn't work? For future reference, here's the right way to split a DVD into two parts:

http://download.videohelp.com/jsoto/guides/VobBlanker/splitdvd9/index.php

But, as already mentioned, better might be to make it for the right size the first time. I second the suggestion of using AvsToDVD.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I used winrar to split the whole folder not just one file. Thanks I'll try the avs2dvd converter.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Okay so I used avs2dvd and then imgburn to burn the file and it still doesn't work. The dvd player just says no disc. Please can somebody tell me what I'm doing wrong? It's so frustrating!
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Post the log from the AVStoDVD run. It's found in the same folder as the DVD output.
    Quote Quote  
  9. A Member since June, 2004 Keyser's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Post the contents of the disc (folders and files)
    "The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by misshaylzy View Post
    Okay so I used avs2dvd and then imgburn to burn the file and it still doesn't work. The dvd player just says no disc.
    Assuming you got a real DVD out of AvsToDVD (and there are no PAL/NTSC issues), perhaps you burned a data disc rather than a DVD? In ImgBurn you go Write Files/Folders To Disc->Browse For A Folder and then choose the VIDEO_TS folder. Let ImgBurn take it from there and answer 'Yes' to any questions it might ask.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Okay so this is the log I got after converting the file and the other file is .iso which it won't let me upload to this site.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  12. Also when I converted the file with avs2dvd, I didn't get any folders as an end result. Just the log I posted above and a disc image file (.iso).
    Quote Quote  
  13. The ISO file is OK...just open Imgburn, click the WRITE IMAGE FILE TO DISC button and the rest is done for you.
    Quote Quote  
  14. I did that and it said no disc in the dvd player when I tried it later. Could there be something else I'm doing wrong? Is there a way to check the format of a dvd that DOES work on the dvd player so I can compare?
    Quote Quote  
  15. Okay so I checked another DVD that works on my player - it's a copy too but made by someone else. The files are exactly the same as om the one I burned .. It's so confusing anymore ideas?
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Does the disk you made play in the computer? What about a second DVD player to test with?
    Quote Quote  
  17. It plays on my laptop and I have an xbox too which I tried and that's just fine .. If it is a problem with the DVD player I don't understand what the problem is because it plays other copies just fine.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by misshaylzy View Post
    It plays on my laptop and I have an xbox too which I tried and that's just fine .. If it is a problem with the DVD player I don't understand what the problem is because it plays other copies just fine.
    Perhaps it doesn't like the media.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Try limiting the burn speed in imgburn. It definitely may be crap media though.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Mentally Deficient Mr.Delusional's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I suggest buying the actual dvd or bluray when it's released. https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/72386-Forum-rules-Acceptable-Use-Policy-%28AUP%29?
    Quote Quote