VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have a video clip which I played on my zoom tablet and loved the quality of it. It's the cleanest I've seen yet on my tablet.

Using MPC-BE player.. properties... MediaInfo tab it tells me the mp4 encode sitting used.......

cabac=1
    ref=5
    deblock=1:1:1
    analyse=0x3:0x133
    me=umh
    subme=9
    psy=1
    psy_rd=1.00:0.00
    mixed_ref=1
    me_range=16
    chroma_me=1
    trellis=2
    8x8dct=1
    cqm=0
    deadzone=21,11
    fast_pskip=1
    chroma_qp_offset=-2
    threads=18
    lookahead_threads=1
    sliced_threads=0
    nr=0
    decimate=1
    interlaced=0
    bluray_compat=0
    constrained_intra=0
    bframes=3
    b_pyramid=2
    b_adapt=2
    b_bias=0
    direct=3
    weightb=1
    open_gop=0
    weightp=2
    keyint=250
    keyint_min=23
    scenecut=40
    intra_refresh=0
    rc_lookahead=60
    rc=crf
    mbtree=1
    crf=20.0
    qcomp=0.60
    qpmin=0
    qpmax=69
    qpstep=4
    ip_ratio=1.40
    aq=1:1.00

How do I go about putting these into my own profile in MeGUI? I also assume some setting might be hardware related? like the number of cpu's yes?? But ignoring thoses.... How do I put the settings that are safe to do so, into MeGUI? Is there a script or something I could use?

If anyone is willing to help....
    Quote Quote  
  2. Click on the config button next to the encoder drop down box, configure it to your liking (check show advanced settings) and add it as a new preset.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I guess the problem is I do not know enough about the setting to know what they all do. (I've never needed to before) I wish MeGUI show the command line more fully or something. I wish MeGUI would show what the setting would look like in reference to MediaInfo. Only thing i can thing to do is change a setting and encode a very small file till I get it set right. but that could take a while
    Quote Quote  
  4. Unlikely those specific settings played a big role in the final quality . It has more to do with the source quality

There are only a few things that deviate from the default "medium" preset :

--deblock 1:1
    --b-adapt 2
    --ref 5
    --subme 9
    --me umh
    --rc-lookahead 60
    --crf 20

Or you can use
    x264 --preset slower --ref 5 --crf 20 --deblock 1:1 -o output.mp4 input.avs

Those changes from the "default" settings will have only a small impact on final visual quality compared if you just used the default settings with crf 20 . (The filesize will probably be very slightly smaller , encoding time longer) . I seriously doubt you will be able to see the difference in realtime on your tablet

selur made a utility that can parse the x264 encode settings string from mediainfo and convert it to a command line mis2x264
    https://www.videohelp.com/tools/Mis2x264
    Last edited by poisondeathray; 23rd Jan 2014 at 16:23.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I was affait you were going to say that..... I used to encode for my stuff for psp but when I switch to my tablet the quity seem grainy... All my encodes are from my own DVDs. I juyst can't seem to find good setting for quality. I not fussy about file size or encode time to much, I must prefer quality.

I downloaded a few things just to see how they would play on my tablet. and the quality seems to be better than what am getting. So am trying to figure out what am doing wrong, so I get do my own encodes.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I'd say, forget what other people set for encoding. It is about:

-finding quantizer that is ok for your CRF mode (nobody knows what good means for you it changes from person to person)
    -quality of source,
    -resolution - keep resolution of source , nothing much to do about this
    -and about filtering (to improve visual quality but not by encoding)

it is not about settings, not if you use CRF

the question is not about settings for video, CRF will watch the quality - "bad settings" will give you bigger file but same quality as "good settings",it makes a little sense to look for miraculous settings, use default. Filtering does some miracles for example, it can make your file smaller using same CRF, so if you have to burn DVD or BD that would be the way, but looking for miracle setting is a waste of time ...

You perhaps change parameters of your video, that is why it goes wrong, bad resize, deinterlacing etc....
    Quote Quote