VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. OK I get dizzy with all guides, so I hope to get quick dirty answer here.

I want to rip commercial bluray to uncompress format on my c drive. what is best format to rip to? H264?

What is best program to beat copy protection? I know there are anydvd but it is $$$, no? Is there free one who is good?

Thank!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    Blu-ray video can have any one of three different video codecs (H264, Mpeg2 or VC-1). So if you are going to rip (transfer) the data from a commercially made blu-ray disc to your hard drive, it will remain in the original video format.

The best decrypter is AnyDVD HD.

If you want a free one, look at MakeMKV. It can rip the main movie only as an mkv file, without compression or conversion. Or you can use its Backup function and rip the entire disc to the hard drive in file format. MakeMKV is free to use while in beta status, and has been in beta for years now. You will have to get a new beta key each month from the MakeMKV forum. http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1053

If you are ripping very new releases, you might run into some that MakeMKV won't handle yet. That is the downside to using a free decrypter...you will have to wait for it to be updated now and again.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You can try dvdfab decrypter(might not support all latest bluray, only rpping is free) or makemkv(free in beta mode).

Both are jut ripping and not reconverting the video or audio.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Thank you much guys. May be it help to says I want to edit the blueray file. It is transformers movies, 1, 2, and 3. I want to edit bad scenes out of them, so as my 10 years old daugter can watches them. so I rip it to c drive, edit them, then save to blueray filetype again.

i has Corel Video Studio Pro X4, it does not have .MKV format supports. so i am not lucky in there. Now what?

AnyDVD and then I rips to another uncompress format for edit but which?
    Last edited by Ken B.; 16th Jan 2014 at 03:05.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Editing a Blu-ray file is fairly complex. H264, Mpeg2 or VC-1 video were never made to edit. You will normally lose all the menus. But you could rip the main movie to a single very large file and try something like TsMuerR GUI to roughly edit it. But the cuts will not be very accurate. Generally for frame accurate editing you would need a much less compressed format.

The main movie on a BD video is usually 20 - 30GB. Less compressed would be much larger. Uncompressed would be huge, several times that size.

If you really want to edit those videos, you might want to use a DVD version. It would be much simpler.
    Quote Quote  
  6. If you're re-encoding, rather than just editing, you can do it with MeGUI. It creates an Avisynth script to use for encoding. The script can be opened with MeGUI's AVS Cutter where you can use a preview to specify "cuts". Once they're added to the script, just the parts you specify will be included in the encoded version. The audio can be cut or re-encoded to match.

Does your player support MKV or MP4? If so, and you're happy to re-encode (which would probably reduce the file size considerably) MKV or MP4 might be the easiest way to do it. You could probably resize to 720p without losing any noticable detail which would also reduce the file size for a given quality.

I use AnyDVD for the decrypting, MeGUI's HD Streams Extractor for the ripping, and from there MeGUI can re-encode/edit the ripped video as described above.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    The Transformer movies are made with H264. You might be able to edit sections out with TMPGenc Smart Renderer 4 or VideoReDo TV Suite H264. There is a fully functional trial for VideoRedo, don't know about the TMPGenc program, but from the description, the trial puts a watermark on areas that are re-encoded around the cuts.

You will lose menus and extras.

Use the Backup function in MakeMKV to get the entire movie to the hard drive, though either of these programs should be able to import the main movie mkv.
    Quote Quote  
  8. What you guys think? I make H264 bluray into 720 umcompress? approx how big a file? and what format as uncompres, still h264 or someting else?
    Quote Quote