VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi all,

I'm a student (and noob at video conversion) and our class has pre-recorded lectures for this semester. The lectures come in a .swf format and are played as a slideshow+audio. I can interact with the flash file to go to the next slide or just let it autoplay to completion.

Is there a way to convert the .swf file to a video file without setting up a direct screen capture of it all?

Thanks very much!
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Nope. You must do a screen capture.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Does it really support an interactive swf with image and still pictures? I guess it uses ffmpeg or mencoder?

And please be careful recommending your software in too many threads....I don't like spamming.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I have not tried this myself but seems to do what you want, at least you don't need to setup screen capture manually:
    Swivel(freeware)
    http://www.newgrounds.com/wiki/creator-resources/flash-resources/swivel

but note:
    Swivel will probably not work well with the following features:
    - getTimer, setTimeout, and Timers
    - Sound complete events
    - Loading assets external, such as XML or Sounds
    - Dynamically loaded SWFs (including those embedded using the Embed metadata)
    - TLF Text Fields with Linkage set to Preloader SWF
    - Stage3D
    Quote Quote  
  5. http://www.softpedia.com/progViewOpinions/iWisoft-Flash-SWF-Downloader-121515,.html

I have used this one in the past. Not sure it's still viable as it is no longer updated.
    Am not sure it's the type of converter you are after. If you can get to the Flash
    resource folder you may be able to convert directly with Video to Video Converter

Quote Quote  
  6. @Baldrick: you're right, I know that FFmpeg reads SWF but I missed the interactive stuff... Sorry
    Quote Quote  
  7. Thanks for the input.

Swivel does the same thing as most other converters: it stops after the first 30 frames (about a second into the lecture) and there is no audio recording either. I tried to manually set the capture time to end at several thousand frames to see if it'll just keep recording but no such luck.

DVDx doesn't load the .swf file at all and errors out.

IWiSoft doesn't work because it first has to play out the entire shockwave lecture which defeats the purpose since I may as well just screen capture it

I'll gladly take other ideas, if they exist.
    Quote Quote  
  8. http://mdlab.jp/app/sac/index.html
    Claims to convert swf to a series of still images... if you do not mind taking an extra step assembling the images back to video.

I think it may be faster to have the problem solved if you can upload a sample swf, so that readers can test if the apps work before recommending it to you.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    can you post a small swf file here ? i have a small app i wrote some time ago to step bw/fw/play of such a file and i'd liked to see if it can at least open it. thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Yea, I can do that: http://l.bitcasa.com/eVzm4yOz

Thanks again everyone
    Quote Quote  
  11. The file plays fine in MPC-BE ...including jump controls. Why do you need to convert it to another format?
    Quote Quote  
  12. I want to make it easy for classmates to listen to it at faster speeds.
    Quote Quote  
  13. I think you are out of luck. Unless someone here knows better

On the fly converters are thin on the ground. Some FFmpeg builds are reported to be able, but I haven't tried with SWF.

The Iwisoft software works because compressed flash files are notoriously difficult to convert.
    It basically does a frame grab of every page and adds the sound back in later.
    In that sense you are correct (Baldrick too); screen capture is just as good.

Maybe there's a player with a speed control, but none spring to mind unfortunately.
    Quote Quote  
  14. A program manage to extract all the images and sound from the swf/flv:
    HugFlash
    http://www.forest.impress.co.jp/library/software/hugflash/

it is fine if you just want to make a printed lecture note+ separated narration, but if you want a mp4 video, you have to reconstruct the whole thing in a NLE. In this case, screen capture is probably faster...
    Quote Quote  
  15. Alright, thanks guys. I'll give your recommendation a shot Maverick, thanks!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    what you want is an actual swf player because what i am seeing is just as beneficial to the viewer since they can navigate to any part of the lecture(s) with ease.

i didn't know they could do that with swf. i wonder what software they use for that.

Quote Quote