VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,Sorry if this is posted on the wrong place.
    I am planning on purchasing a sound bar. My budget is from 100 to 150 bucks. So far I am liking this one:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CFEV1LQ/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

The only issue I have with it is that it does not have an HDMI plug, only RCAs and Optical Audio. I can live without the HDMI. The RCAs and the optical are essential to me. However, I was wondering if someone out there is familiar with a sound bar of similar characteristics that does have a HDMI plug on top of the RCAs and the optical.

Thanks a lot!
    Quote Quote  
  2. If you plan on using optical out (or analog stereo) from TV, then HDMI will be superfluous anyway. I don't see the lack of HDMI on a $100 soundbar as a minus.

You could have a look at the AVS soundbar subforum:

http://www.avsforum.com/f/195/soundbars

I'm afraid though that you may end up with information overload.

Personally, I think you're round about the right price point. When you get up near $200, you'd be better off spending a little more and getting an entry level receiver and lower-tier speakers.

I got a Vizo refurb soundbar for $50 last year for the 65" LG in our living room. Using the 3.5 mm headphone output to a splitter, then to RCA jacks on the soundbar. It's quite a bit better than the tinny inbuilt speakers, but not anywhere near the sound quality of the 5.1 setup in my home theater.

Since I'm going to replace my HT system, though, that will go to the living room. I feel the Vizio soundbar was okay for the money, and I'm glad I didn't spring for a $200 plus soundbar. Some of those sound surprisingly good, but again, a real surround system, even if very modest, is gonna be a lot better.

Good luck.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks so much for your help and the quick reply!
    Quote Quote