VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. could someone explain why some times when watching ota hd on my pc the video is choppy almost in slow motion?
    Quote Quote  
  2. CPU not strong enough. GPU not strong enough. Graphics driver problem. Media player misconfigured. DirectShow misconfigured. Incompatible file reader/splittter and codecs.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    How old is your computer? Do you have a decent video card that can do graphics on its own?

Is it interference?

For ota if you don't have a strong signal it will break up on you. It's not like old analog where it will be fuzzy and snowy.

Digital ota breaks up and looses integrity to the point of total signal loss.

Do you have lots of stuff running while you are watching? If you don't have a lot of ram on your system and you have a lot of programs running you will have slow downs - especially if you don't have a decent video card and are using your cpu for the most of the workload.

Have you made any recent changes to your system that might be a culplrit?

Has it ever worked smoothly?

Have you reinstalled your drivers for the hardware device you are using to watch ota?

Does your computer meet the devices minimum system requirements?

As you can see there are lots of possibilities for poor performance. We need more information.

Also are you using an unpowered antenna to watch ota? It should be a powered antenna to grab as much as signal as possible. If you have trouble viewing ota on other tvs then you should expect to have the same problem on a computer.

More information is needed to try to sort out your issues.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Oh great carnac!!!

I bet he could tell you!!!

LOL!!
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by yoda313 View Post
    How old is your computer? Do you have a decent video card that can do graphics on its own?

Is it interference?

For ota if you don't have a strong signal it will break up on you. It's not like old analog where it will be fuzzy and snowy.

Digital ota breaks up and looses integrity to the point of total signal loss.

Do you have lots of stuff running while you are watching? If you don't have a lot of ram on your system and you have a lot of programs running you will have slow downs - especially if you don't have a decent video card and are using your cpu for the most of the workload.

Have you made any recent changes to your system that might be a culplrit?

Has it ever worked smoothly?

Have you reinstalled your drivers for the hardware device you are using to watch ota?

Does your computer meet the devices minimum system requirements?

As you can see there are lots of possibilities for poor performance. We need more information.

Also are you using an unpowered antenna to watch ota? It should be a powered antenna to grab as much as signal as possible. If you have trouble viewing ota on other tvs then you should expect to have the same problem on a computer.

More information is needed to try to sort out your issues.
    I will try to answer as many of these as I can

I have no problem watching this same ota signal in the rest of the house - good signal
    the computer is probably 7 years old....it has 1.8 gig Intel cpu & NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT video card
    the tuner card is an ATI all in wonder
    there have been no changes or additions to the system

keep in mind please, that the problem isn't with "live" viewing........it is with watching a recorded show from the hard drive using media center which was used to record the program
    Quote Quote  
  6. download Fraps and check the framerate if it's below 30fps then your cpu or gpu is not strong enough.
    Me for example i have a cheap nvidia gt220 it's not strong enough to have a smooth playback (well i use to monitors) so i decode the hd videos with LAV Video codec, it uses my cpu (4 cores) which is much better
    *** DIGITIZING VHS / ANALOG VIDEOS SINCE 2001**** GEAR: JVC HR-S7700MS, TOSHIBA V733EF AND MORE
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by bnewt View Post
    the problem isn't with "live" viewing........it is with watching a recorded show from the hard drive using media center which was used to record the program
    So you have no problem with live viewing? Only when watching recorded shows? Is the recorded file corrupt or only the playback on this computer?
    Quote Quote