VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi!
    I´m new here and don´t really know axactly which section my problem should land in.
    The thing is:
    I have burned many disks on DVD recorder with family films.They are in TS and VOB formats.But those films are a bit messy and long,so I´m trying to make order with them-to cut them in shorter pieces according dates/events.To do so I´ve tried 2 ways:
    DVD ripper and Sony Vegas.
    In both cases I get VOB files which ones to work with,like ex.VTS_01_1.VOB,VTS_01_2.VOB,VTS_01_3.VOB.
    Now the problem is that:
    -DVD ripper can´t load the first file-it says it´s invalid not guilty file,it load next 2 files and convert them,but it´s lots of material what´s missing from first file.
    -Sony Vegas-load all those files but on first file is green screen with sound,and the same as DVD ripper-it´s missing lots of material.
    Now the main question:
    Why is it happening like this,what I didn´t do or do wrong?
    How to solve this problem to be able to correct,cut,split and make some reauthoring???
    Any help deeply appreciated!
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Stop trying to work with VOB files. They are designed to exist within the DVD environment only.
    Since these are home-made discs, use VOB2MPEG to revert them back to normal MPEG2 as one, giant lump
    of video.....edit....re-author to a new DVD(VIDEO_TS folder woth VOB files etc etc) and burn a new disc(with ImgBurn).

You also need to make sure your editing software edits losslessly - not sure if Sony does that easily. There are plenty of FREE,
    easy-to-use softwares that edit MPEG2 losslessly.....AviDemux being my personal favorite.

You cannot edit a VOB file from the set, then stick it back in there and expect it to work....it does not work that way.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Oki,thanks for quick reply.
    The main thing is I´m not trying to re-do them as a VOB files and burn them-Í want to rid off of all my disks and make only AVI files to store them on HD as a backup,to be able to move/have them if needed,instead of lots of disks.
    I´ll be fighting with this today according your tips.
    As I wrote aboce about storage my films-anything else I should be aware of?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you want to convert them into one file per DVD, have a look at MakeMKV. Its 100% free (but you do need to update it when a new version comes out) that will convert your DVD to an MKV file with ANY re-encoding as its simply converts all the VOB files to one MKV, per title

Then, you can try having a look at AVIDemux for 100% free editing that also supports pretty much any video format, including VOB and MKV. If you click on a DVD title it automatically works it out that its a split title (VOB's) and works on them fine. I know, I've just tried it 5 minutes ago on a DVD rip

In fact, after playing about with AVIDemux for less than 5 minutes, it loaded my DVDRip perfectly, let me edit frame by frame or scene by scsne, I selected a tiny section to test and it saved just that section. You can also cut that section, on a frame if required, and let me save it as an MKV which then played perfectly. So, AVIDemux might do everything you are looking for

Its a bit slow in loading the initial files, but after that editing is very easy. If you want to save it as an AVI file instead on an MKV, simply select that in the 'poutput format' and your pretty much ready to run

Also, it supports AVSProxy, so its even possible to send the result to AVISynth for running through video filters to clean up the output if its very poor quality home recording or just need cleaning up anyway. But AVISynth is another subject all on its own !!

http://avidemux.sourceforge.net/

http://www.avidemux.org/admWiki/doku.php?id=general:input_formats
    http://www.avidemux.org/admWiki/doku.php?id=tutorial:dvd_to_avi
    http://www.avidemux.org/admWiki/doku.php?id=using:video_filters
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Miramar239 View Post
    Oki,thanks for quick reply.
    The main thing is I´m not trying to re-do them as a VOB files and burn them-Í want to rid off of all my disks and make only AVI files to store them on HD as a backup,to be able to move/have them if needed,instead of lots of disks.
    I´ll be fighting with this today according your tips.
    As I wrote aboce about storage my films-anything else I should be aware of?
    "AVI" as backup is normally a very BAD idea. "AVI" in layman's terms translates into tremendous quality loss compared to the original. AVI is only a container that can contain a wide variety of video and audio codecs. Smaller size almost ALWAYS means it takes a quality hit.
    Buy a bigger hard drive if you want to "store" your home-made DVDs. Put your DVDs in paper sleeves if you want to save physical storage space. "AVI" is NOT the answer to preserving your precious family videos.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If its to preserve quality, then as above suggested for storage/backup

Paper sleeves are not much for packs of 50 and will save a huge amount of space even when compared to 'thin' DVD cases and also using MakeMKV to convert your DVD's to a single MKV file. Again, there is ZERO quality loss as it converts thyem to the MKV format with NO encoding

Even if each DVD has been created with each film as a new title, MakeMKV will recognise this from the DVD structure and save them as either single titles or one large title. Your choice

These can be edited in AVIDemux very easily and quicker loading than waiting for AVIDemux to join DVD VOBs together before editing. I've just tried it, literally 2 minutes ago

Also, in MKV mode you can scan for a black screen. This doesn't work when editing a VOB directly (I tried that as well). So you could use this to scan for the start of additional films that were merged into a single DVD instead of trying to find the start of the next film by hand

I personally use MKV to convert a DVD/blu-ray rip of a film/series to a single file format that I can then transfer to the mediaplayer box to keep/watch. Saves messing about with discs and you know you won't get any loss of quality. Plus its about as fast as it can be

If the DVD is also not quite DVD spec, MakeMKV will try to scan the disc fixing it where possible. Very useful piece of FREE software
    Last edited by steptoe; 11th Jan 2014 at 07:56.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you don't want to lose any quality, I'd say leave them as DVD compliant mpeg2. Any further compression is only going to reduce the quality, you can't make a file smaller without throwing something away.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Miramar239, I must repeat what Richard_G and others have advised. You are inflicting permanent damage onto copies of your family DVD's by going through these "conversions". Video formats such as DVD are not "converted" -- they are re-encoded. Video re-encoding always involves data loss and quality loss -- there is no way to restore the original quality.

To "archive" something is to keep a true copy of the original, not an inferiror re-encode that looks like garbage. You can keep copies of your original DVD's by literally burning direct copies of them with your computer; you can also copy the entire disc content to a hard drive. If you are using optical discs that are not Verbatom AZO DVD-R or the newest SONY DVD-R's, you will begin to notice discd damage within a few years, if you don't already see it happening now. Generally, DVD+R and DVD-RW / +RW are poor choices for DVD archives.
    Last edited by sanlyn; 19th Mar 2014 at 09:14.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Ok! Thank you guys very much for all replies!
    I´m not really much for video knowledge but I´m villing to learn some new steps.
    All those stuffs you suggesting is quite new for me. I used to work with Sony Vegas and some small simple free converters.
    All this with file/conversion formats and damage it can cost your saved material is totally new for me.I did expect no quality lost while using such progs. Unfortunatelly you guys are right so I need to reconsider my backup plan to preserve my family DVDs...it´s a lot....I mean A LOT ! It´s pity to destroy them by non-knowledgeable actions so I will just seat and read all tips you just gave me.
    I´ll keep my DVDs as they are but mostly for comfy reasons I´d like to perform some small cosmetics on them-mostly to cut and split some larger files to be able quick and easy find them. That´s why comes my question here.
    All those programs you mension here are quite unfamiliar to me,but if they can do the required work so I´ll absolutely give it a try!
    I already tried MakeMKV it it worked excellently the way I wanted to.
    I´m very happy finding this board,excellent tips and lots of knowledge!
    Hope to come back with some more questions.
    -Another issue-some of the films are re-recorded from VHS tapes and the quality is not that very good,some have loosing/flashing colours problem.
    Is it any way possible to retrieve colours or what´s lost it´s lost?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Miramar239 View Post
    Another issue-some of the films are re-recorded from VHS tapes and the quality is not that very good,some have loosing/flashing colours problem.
    Is it any way possible to retrieve colours or what´s lost it´s lost?
    You'll find no shortage of people here that will send your brain into a tailspin talking about enhancing/restoring video with a program called AviSynth....if you are willing to lose some hair, sleep and brain cells in the process.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yep, I seconds avisynth. But, be prepared for LOTS of reading, banging your head on the table when it should work, but still that plugin/script doesn't load when I can see it should. Because your using the wrong version of avisynth or slightly different plugin version

BUT, the results really are quite amazing

If you post about 2-3 minutes of footage onto this forum, then there are some very informed users of avisynth that will work on the best they can get out of your footage and help out as much as they can. But, don't always expect answers in a few minutes. Sometimes it might to 2-3 days or longer if they are busy

http://forum.doom9.org/forumdisplay.php?f=33

This link also shows just what is possible using avisynth (which is FREE as are plugins/help), the only hardware is what is used to get the source onto the computer. In this case very old and badly aged 8mm film

I personally use avisynth+, but there is also a python version called VapourSynth which is gaining a lot of support and use. Avisynth+ is trying to be a modern almost direct replacement so 'almost' everything should work without any serious problems

http://avisynth.nl/index.php/Main_Page#Unofficial_builds
    http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=168856
    http://www.vapoursynth.com/doc/

Like I said, Avisynth is a huge subject so has its own forum with LOTS of help and advice

Also, a lot of the better scripts/plugins are incredibly sloooow. But, time doesn't matter for some people. The final quality is what counts. It really can be jaw dropping. As seen from the 8mm results and the anime filtering as the sources for these really can be terrible and very very poor rushed out DVDs with no interest in how it looks

A lot of the time though, its a fine balance between keeping some of the original quality and just removing enough noise/faults so as you don't lose the original footage and just turn it into oversmoothed and over worked mush
    Quote Quote  
  12. Thanks for your reply.
    Some reflections I already have.
    AviSynth doesn´t seem to work at all-I can´t move marker and cut unnecessary parts-doing according guide-still no luck.
    Loaded 4videosoft converter to make converting job-useless piece of software-chewing for hours.
    Did some converting with free make converter-nowdays it comes their banner in the end of video-useless,unless to use some split/cutter program to rid of this.
    Loaded VLC player to Watch film-changing size of the footage-not much use.
    Cutting and splitting in Sony Vegas,program I know it Always worked for me-no bigger issue with sharpen and colour improvments,but really time consuming!
    All above I wrote is to point only that I want quite OK copy in AVI/MP4 or whatever format for PC use.
    As you guys pointed before-I´m gonna make copy of originals discs which will be the best choice on new SONY and AZO discs.
    Trying to read a lot...I have time,no probs....but this AviSynth is really not very easy to understand for me now...as you wrote,it doesn´t seem to work at all,must be maybe wrong version,don´t know...
    Thanks for links to other boards.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    VLC is ok, plenty report is great, I've had issues with it

Have a look at MPC HomeCinema. If it looks like Windows MediaPlayer, that because it is/was many years ago. Its now free open source but has been updated to cope with a lot more. Its very good at what is has to do. Play movies, DVDs, blu-Rays and pretty much any other video/music file you want without having a huge overbloated piece of software that is more of a pain than anything else

It will happily play DVD/Blu-Ray rips/discs with full menu support. Some commercial players can't manage to achieve that without complaining and you are expected to pay for that

http://mpc-hc.org/

Yes, I use a lot of FREE software, BUT I have also paid for a few when free software just didn't quite manage what I needed. After all it is free, so is usually worked on as and when the authors have time

I was suggesting MakeMKV as a backup method for your DVDs, as its 100% lossless and does zero encoding reducing quality even more and most players support MKV now. MPC HomeCinema plays it without an issues
    Quote Quote  
  14. I used MakeMKV to create copies on PC,worked like charm...really happy about it.
    Just want to split and cut larger sections/files to be able improve their quality a bit.
    As said before AviSynth is just black magic right now but I will get into it on that Doom9 forum.
    As mentioned before I have some files where the colour is very poor-if I could manage to get it done without any bigger hassle,I´d be really glad.
    Will take a look at MPC HomeCinema,though.
    As you mention,free softwares are expected to do the job but unfortunatelly mostly they don´t.If creators could crearly say at once-I would gladly buy full version if it meets my demands.
    Will be digging more into subject...
    Thanks for reply and tips.
    Quote Quote  
  15. MakeMKV is good software, but if you want to edit your video without re-encoding, MKVMergeGUI can split and join MKVs. It can also open many other file types (vob, ts, avi, mp4 etc) and remux them as MKVs. Unfortunately MKVMergeGUI doesn't make editing easy at it's not so much designed for that.... it doesn't have any sort of video preview.... but you could try a program such a Video To Video Converter which has a couple of "editors" under the Tools menu and lets, you edit and join files without re-encoding.

You'll get just as much help with Avisynth here as you will at doom9, probably more, and VideoHelp is definitely a more pleasant place to post.
    Quote Quote  
  16. I´m really happy with all your help guys. I get so many tips and new programs but those I use work also ok for my needs. I´ve tried all those you pointed. Would like to tell only what exactly I want to achieve-I´m not professional movie producer-for my personal backup I´m trying to create AVI files from larger files/films to keep them as a backup on extern HD. As you suggested I´ll make copies from original files on better quality discs,then also eventually to create MKV files as a backup.
    So far i already know how to do so. Now the problem is with flashing/disappering colours on some films-can I get it to correct somehow without any bigger fancy stuff? Sorry guys but AviSynth which all of you recommend is totally non understandable,100000 light years,cosmic stuff for me. I´ve tried to read different guides but sorry...where and how the hell start this program? I see only scripts and plugins but where is the program???
    You all pointing it´s a very good program but can it make what I want above? Is it worth to learn if maybe what´s lost is lost and there is no program to create it back? Just wondering.
    Really appreciate if someone know the answer-I´m really keen to learn and read but I´m not professional anyway so question is rather important to me,what so special with that Avisynth?
    I´m really digging into subject with no result,so is it Worth for amatour to pull my hairs?
    Somebody suggested to put some clips on the forum...will try maybe tommorow to show what kind of colour issue I have and if this could be helped.
    Please understand-I don´t mean any harm and am really happy with any help I get here.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The most simple method, use dvdshrink 3.2 and change the settings to output the vob into 1 vob. Change the burn to disc option to hard drive. Then re author your dvd. When you get that done use editing software that will encode to avi.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Ok guys,here is a small cut:

Now I´d like you to judge if there are any chances to improve flashing/disappering colour quality/stability ???
    This is just an sample what issue I have with my family vids. It´s all about 30-40 mins clips which are extremaly important to us since it´s a baby footage of our son.
    Please look at it and say what you think and how to fix it.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Just as I thought,the problem is not fixable.
    Well thanks for all tips.anyway.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    A belated reply but I think you've answered your own question. When that footage was recorded it looks like the camcorder had been set to over expose for some reason so the background has gone white. You can't recover it because there is nothing to recover. The original shows a plain white background so a plain white background is all you are ever going to get. You could reduce the brightness but all you'll get then is a plain grey background, you'll never recover what the background actually was as it's not there any more.

This is the same as people have been telling you about re-encoding you footage to a different format. Once you've lost some of the detail, you can't get it back. You can play around and make poor quality video LOOK better, but it will never be the same as the original.
    Quote Quote