VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi,
    Sorry if this is in the wrong place , didn't find anywhere better to post this.
    I was recording a movie i wanted to burn to a DVD. The movie is .mp4 , it's 6.41 GB , and my discs are DVD+RDL.
    It successfully burned to the disk , but when i put it into my DVD player , it just shows the file name and a little ''MP4'' icon. When i try to click ''PLAY'' or ''OK'' nothing happens.
    Just need some help because i never encountered this problem. My DVD player is : RCA DRC257N

Thanks ,
    Last edited by BettaFish; 10th Jan 2014 at 17:19.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    it's a dvd player. all it plays are real dvds. not just a video burned on dvd, it has to be dvd spec. no mp4, xvid, divx, avi or anything else.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. So your telling me that it's impossible to make a DVD with a movie to play on a DVD player?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Multimedia storyteller bigass's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Not quite. DVD players play DVDs. You didn't make a DVD. You made a DVD-R disc with an MP4 on it. DVDs contain a very specific set of files in a very specific format -- not an MP4 file.

Please see the column on the left hand side of the screen and read the very first thing -- "What is DVD" for an explanation.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    no. you need to create dvds. that means using something like avstodvd to encode to dvd spec and author to dvd compliant files that are then burned to dvdr.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  6. Alright , i'm using avstodvd right now , and it's only done 1mil kb , out of 7mil kb.Hope this works.
    Thanks for the help.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by BettaFish View Post
    It successfully burned to the disk , but when i put it into my DVD player , it just shows the file name and a little ''MP4'' icon. When i try to click ''PLAY'' or ''OK'' nothing happens
    The fact that it did pop up the file menu and had an "MP4" icon for the file implies that you do have a DVD player that'll play MP4s, perhaps XVid/DivX AVIs. The problem is, most DVD players I've seen that actually can play MP4s strictly want them to have XVid/DivX video streams and MP3 audio streams - basically, the type of AVI they'll play remuxed into an MP4 container.

And, yes, the video files have to be in DVD (SD) resolution or lower, or the player won't play them correctly (or will refuse to play them outright).

Of course, if you'd rather not deal with making sure all the details (encoding and otherwise) about the videos are exactly as your DVD player wants to see, it's far, far easier just to hand everything over to AVStoDVD.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Not correct thou aedipuss was informing you that your current player only supports dvd playback.

If you want additional format support consider replacing the current unit and make sure it states mpeg4 playback in manual or a sticker to identify such capabilities.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    According to the product specs I could see on the 'Net, the unit can play Divx.
    Perhaps there was something about the particular file that caused this error.

Was it actually Divx, or was it H.264/AVC ?
    Last edited by davexnet; 10th Jan 2014 at 22:15. Reason: typo
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by davexnet
    Perhaps there was something about the particular file that caused this error.
    If memory serves isn't there a file size limit on some generations of divx? Like 2gig or something? So even if the video was standard def divx with mp3 the fact that it was 6gigs might prevent it from playing.

However reencoding to a true dvd will let it play properly.

OR better yet:

Buy a settop player that will play the original file without the need to convert.

You can buy a used wdtv media player that will play just about any file type. There may still be a few videos here and there you run across that might need to be reencoded. But that will be a lot less likely with a settop media player.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Maybe I missed something but the OP never said anything about Divx, he said MP4.

Just because aedipuss mentioned it among other formats really has nothing to do with what the OP asked and assumed.
    Quote Quote  
  12. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    The mp4 has to be 720x480/576 or lower rez and be divx/xvid with no special processing like qpel etc..,if its 6GB in size then its usually out of spec such as 1280x720 for a dvd player that plays divx/xvid.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by Ai Haibara View Post
    It successfully burned to the disk , but when i put it into my DVD player , it just shows the file name and a little ''MP4'' icon. When i try to click ''PLAY'' or ''OK'' nothing happens
    The fact that it did pop up the file menu and had an "MP4" icon for the file implies that you do have a DVD player that'll play MP4s, perhaps XVid/DivX AVIs. The problem is, most DVD players I've seen that actually can play MP4s strictly want them to have XVid/DivX video streams and MP3 audio streams - basically, the type of AVI they'll play remuxed into an MP4 container.

And, yes, the video files have to be in DVD (SD) resolution or lower, or the player won't play them correctly (or will refuse to play them outright).

Of course, if you'd rather not deal with making sure all the details (encoding and otherwise) about the videos are exactly as your DVD player wants to see, it's far, far easier just to hand everything over to AVStoDVD.
    I tryed AVStoDVD , but it didn't help. All it did was make it a QuickTime file *which was not even play-able. I can't believe i'm doing JAVA , and i cant make a simple disc..
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Provide a mediainfo report of your original problematic file. Use the program to open the file, put it in text view
    and put the results here.

AVStoDVD dioesn't make quicktime anything, only mepg2/DVD
    Quote Quote  
  15. General
    Complete name : C:\Users\Alexander\Desktop\DVD_1_Desktop 09-01-2014 10-59-11 PM_1.ac3
    Format : AC-3
    Format/Info : Audio Coding 3
    File size : 108 MiB
    Duration : 1h 18mn
    Overall bit rate mode : Constant
    Overall bit rate : 192 Kbps

Audio
    Format : AC-3
    Format/Info : Audio Coding 3
    Mode extension : CM (complete main)
    Format settings, Endianness : Big
    Duration : 1h 18mn
    Bit rate mode : Constant
    Bit rate : 192 Kbps
    Channel(s) : 2 channels
    Channel positions : Front: L R
    Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
    Bit depth : 16 bits
    Compression mode : Lossy
    Stream size : 108 MiB (100%)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    That's only the audio. Ac3 is audio only.

I don't know if there are any dvd players that will play a .ac3 file as it is.

What we need is the video portion.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  17. It didn't make one. When i looked in m output folder , there wasn't one with the video.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It didn't make one. When i looked in m output folder , there wasn't one with the video.
    What we are asking for is the media info file of the original video that caused the problem (we don't need the name of the file just the stats).

We want to know if it can be played at all on your dvd player.

If you follow the guides for avstodvd you will be able to make a playable normal dvd from the original file no problem. If you go that route.

But we were wanting to know what the original video file was.

Avstodvd makes dvds - ie mpeg2 video in a video_ts folder in vob files (and the other stuff a dvd needs).
    Quote Quote