VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Windows 8 and HD-DVD playback ?

Hi All,

I have just move on to windows 8 and my 2 HD-DVD software ( PowerDVD 7.3 and Nero 8 ) don't play with it nicely. I do have Anydvd HD, but it is not helping with the problem. I have try a trial copy of Totalmedia 5.3 and it does work with window 8. The problem is I can't seem to be able to buy it? And the newer versions of Totalmedia 6, 6.5 from what I can read does not support HD-DVD playback anymore? Does anyone know what works with windows 8?

I have Blu-Ray software and stand alone Blu-Ray players. So Please I do not need/want any info on ripping or moving to Blu-Ray, thanks. I just want to know how to play my HD-DVD movies collection on my computer with window 8 as the os.
    Edit Post Reply With Quote
    Quote Quote  
  2. I abandoned HD-DVD playback some years ago as software was getting hard to find. It's a dead format.

This might be a case for a second boot drive, or an older media PC.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    I still have a few HD-DVDs I bought cheap on ebay, and several that still aren't on blu-ray.

I don't run Win8, but if you can run PotPlayer (with AnyDVD-HD) it will happily play EVO files (just no menu support). The beauty of HD-DVDs is the file naming was so standardized. The main movie is always called FEATURE and usually split into two files: FEATURE_1.EVO and FEATURE_2.EVO. You just add the two files to the Playlist and it'll flow over. Other files are also self descriptive. e.g. MAKINGOF.EVO, TRAILER.EVO, OUTTAKES.EVO, etc.

Just remember to enable hardware video support in the preferences (DXVA or equivalent) for 1080 video if your CPU is a little old in the tooth and you want to offload the work to the GPU.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Is there a 'compatablity mode' for Windows 8 ?. IIRC Power DVD 7.3 was the last version to support DVD-HD so there will be no fixes for this for more current OS's
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    A suggestion would be to use Makemkv to rip the HD DVD discs to your hard drive as MKV files then you can use just about any current media player.

A_L
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    Is there a 'compatablity mode' for Windows 8 ?. IIRC Power DVD 7.3 was the last version to support DVD-HD so there will be no fixes for this for more current OS's
    Yes Window 8 has compatibiltiy modes, but they probably didn't help. They didn't help me with PowerDVD 10. I had to upgrade to PowerDVD 12 after I installed Windows 8.

I agree that the OP should consider converting his HD-DVDs to something else in the near future, if he hasn't already done so. Between software issues and PC optical drives that read HD-DVD no longer being made, his chance to use his HD-DVDs in their original format or convert to something else is disappearing.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 11th Jan 2014 at 11:37. Reason: clarity
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    He posted the same question over at MyCE. I suggested setting up a VM, using XP or Vista in the virtual machine, and using his older players in that. He might have to run AnyDVD HD in the background though.

Anyone have experience using a media player in a VM, and playing from an optical drive?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    Another suggestion is if you have an xbox 360 (dirt cheap now) grab a 2nd hand M$oft HD-DVD USB drive. I bought one locally for NZ21 (~us17.50). You can't beat a hardware player plugged into your HDTV!

Early on, I actually went as far as converting one of my HD-DVDs to a full blown BD complete with animated menu, special features, and commentary track (all switchable by custom popup menu). It was interesting but really time consuming. Ironically the film (Sneakers) was finally released on European BD in May (still VC-1 and minus all the extras!), but at least I don't need to double dip. I've noticed Universal are really stingy when it comes to eventually releasing previously exclusive HD-DVDs onto BD, generally they're still in VC-1 and minus many (or all) extras. "Midnight Run" (also own) must be one of the last quality films they are still sitting on (7 yrs since the HD-DVD release).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Yes Window 8 has compatibiltiy modes, but they probably didn't help. They didn't help me with PowerDVD 10. I had to upgrade to PowerDVD 12 after I installed Windows 8.

Oh. Bugger. Since I will be upgrading my XP system in the near future due to 'D Day' aka April 8, that will mean even more expense.

(Wonder if PowerDVD 10 works on Win7 ?)
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Oh. Bugger. Since I will be upgrading my XP system in the near future due to 'D Day' aka April 8, that will mean even more expense.

It worked fine for me. However I don't know how long Cyberlink will continue to release updates for it so that new Blu-Ray movies will be playable without help from AnyDVD HD.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM

It works in Windows 8 too. Came pre-installed on my laptop that also has windows 8 pre-installed.

A_L
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    A_L

That will invariably be an OEM version. BUt is that for BD's as well as DVD's ?
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Arnold_Layne View Post

It works in Windows 8 too. Came pre-installed on my laptop that also has windows 8 pre-installed.

A_L
    Mine was OEM software included with my BD-RW drive, and played Blu-Ray discs. It definitely didn't work with Windows 8, and Cyberlink's website included a statement saying that they weren't going to issue any more patches for it.

Does your laptop have a BD-RW or BD ROM drive? Most laptops don't have one and include a version of Power DVD that only plays DVDs.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM

A_L
    Mine was OEM software included with my BD-RW drive, and played Blu-Ray discs. It definitely didn't work with Windows 8, and Cyberlink's website included a statement saying that they weren't going to issue any more patches for it.

Does your laptop have a BD-RW or BD ROM drive? Most laptops don't have one and include a version of Power DVD that only plays DVDs.

Yes the laptop has a built-in BD-RW drive.

I also have an OEM version that came with a BD-RW drive in installed in my PC. I will see if it works with windows 8.1 on that PC and report back.
    A_L
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Confusion. Confusion. Two OEM versions. One works and one does not.

My PowerDVD 10 is not an OEM version
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Confusion. Confusion. Two OEM versions. One works and one does not.

My PowerDVD 10 is not an OEM version
    You'd think if an OEM version works, the full paid version should. Cyberlink would have a vested interest in forcing OEM versions to upgrade vs someone who has already paid full price for it.

A_L
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just installed the LG OEM version on my windows 8.1PC. IT did require an update to be installed which was free from Cyberlink. PowerDVD 10 is working fine. Plays BD discs.

A_L
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just installed the LG OEM version on my windows 8.1PC. IT did require an update to be installed which was free from Cyberlink. PowerDVD 10 is working fine. Plays BD discs.

A_L
    I got a my copy of Windows 8 as soon as it was released via a special offer from MS and only waited a few weeks for a patch to PowerDVD. Maybe Cyberlink issued a patch after I had already bought the PowerDVD 12 upgrade, but it is too late for me to test that theory now.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hmmn. I didn't think that OEM versions could be patched/upgraded(without re-purchase)

My BD combi drive (also from LG) came with an OEM version of their 'suite' (version 7.?). Soon after, it refused to play new disks and I also had to buy a new one. Maybe that was because it was 'old' and Cyberlink had no sense of purpose in providing patches for that.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by db83
    Maybe that was because it was 'old' and Cyberlink had no sense of purpose in providing patches for that.
    It might be time for you to look into a settop hardware player. Check the sales. I don't know if you have any thing that is equal to our Black Friday sales over there but I'm sure you have a "season" of sales deals.

Though you do have time and you may get this to work after all.

But if it doesn't it might be cheaper in the long run to get a hardware player.

Something to think about.

And you can buy used too. Just don't go too old. I don't know if any old bluray players suffer from this "bricking" problem of no more updates. If its firmware upgradeable that should be all you need. The big name ones (manufacturers that is) should be updateable forever I would imagine, I hope.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    A hardware player is on the 'list'. But a PC player does have advantages as well.

Geez. We did have a version of 'Black Friday'. The Asda stores (owned by your Walmart) did this. The customers were no better than wild animals as if they were giving the stuff away.

We also have regular post-Christmas sales but I can never get to a store to take advantage of these
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The customers were no better than wild animals as if they were giving the stuff away.
    No surprise.

We also have regular post-Christmas sales but I can never get to a store to take advantage of these
    Well its too late for that right now but don't they do online bargains too?

A hardware player is on the 'list'. But a PC player does have advantages as well.
    Ok. Just thought I'd mention it.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search PM
    Going back to the original post, I obtained an HD-DVD and tried playing it with TMT 6. It works perfectly well for HD-DVD, both from the disc and from a ripped copy. TMT6 is the current version, and works in Win 8/8.1.

And converting the main movie to Blu-ray format was dirt simple using AnyDVD HD + ClownBD.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Thanks everyone for their input. I have try TMT 6.5 and it works well with windows 8 for HD-DVD playback. So happens newegg has this on sale ( download version only ) for $29.99. Its the cheapest I have ever seen this version go for.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832675012
    Quote Quote