VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I have a heap of miniDV tapes and would like to convert them to a user-friendly format (smaller than the original 12gig and with no quality loss). I've tried Handbake (MKV container) which is good in some respects but it loses the "fluidness" of the picture motion. I'm wondering if something in the advanced settings would help (frame references etc)
    Unless someone can suggest something different if I'm barking up the wrong tree to start with?

Luke
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Why not convert them to DVD? Encode it interlaced, and retain the temporal fluidity.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Just to clarify you can't convert without SOME quality loss.

How much depends on the limitation of the destination format.

Since its standard Def dvd is a good suggestion as noted above.

Use dual layer discs so you can use the max nitrate to preserve quality.

Sent from my Prism II using Tapatalk
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Multimedia storyteller bigass's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by yoda313 View Post
    It took me some puzzled seconds to consider how dual-layer discs would use nitrate to make a better-quality disc. More plastic? Holds the dye better?

Then I realized you meant bitrate.
    Quote Quote  

5. Making mp4 (H.264+audio) - you have to keep it interlace, do not deinterlace to 25p. In this case you have to choose correct aspect ratio as well, it might not be chosen as default.

Making of DVD's is an idea too as was said. Or just simple interlaced mpeg2 files if you do not intend to burn DVD's.

Or if you want to be challenged use QTGMC or faster Yadif deinterlace. They could deinterlace to double frame rate 50p. They are so called bob deinterlacers. You keep fluidity and you get rid of interlace. You have to use different encoder than Handbrake though, you have to know some Avisynth basics. Even using QTGMC is quite fast because we talk about SD resolution here. Using QTGMC, you might as well resize to square pixel. Do not be afraid of 50p (especially SD resolution).
    Quote Quote  
  6. I have here drag&drop encoder that will make these literally with one click: mpeg2 or DVD , mp4 interlace with aspect ratio or double frame rate mp4. I have it all set to for dmfs from Vegas, so I need a moment to change it to drag&drop dv avi. I will post it tomorrow afternoon.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by bigass View Post
    Originally Posted by yoda313 View Post
    It took me some puzzled seconds to consider how dual-layer discs would use nitrate to make a better-quality disc. More plastic? Holds the dye better?

Then I realized you meant bitrate.

I would seldom skimp on bitrate.

Nitrates on the other hand, I've largely cut down on. (Tuna on Parmesan/Oregano at Subway)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by bigass - clockwork
    bigass - Then I realized you meant bitrate.
    clockwork - I would seldom skimp on bitrate.Nitrates on the other hand, I've largely cut down on. (Tuna on Parmesan/Oregano at Subway)
    Ok ok it was a typo.

I was using my phone and I wasn't careful enough. jeesh.....
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  9. unzip enclosed zip folder, DRAG & DROP DVavi onto appropriate BAT file to get interlace mp4, progressive mp4 or burn DVD (or just get VIDEO_TS or ISO), one click procedures

Avisynth needs to be installed v. 2.5.8 https://www.videohelp.com/download/Avisynth_258.exe
    or maybe DV codec if HcEncoder will show input error (Avisynth cannot read DV avi), here is free DV codec:
    https://www.videohelp.com/tools/Cedocida-DV-Codec
    Image Attached Files
    Last edited by _Al_; 11th Jan 2014 at 11:55.
    Quote Quote