VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello,

I was recently given a bunch of mini DV tapes and would like to transfer the footage to my Mac. I have some experience with video editing but none on the other end -- I don't even own a camcorder.

I was wondering if there is some sort of relatively cheap device I might be able to purchase that will allow me to transfer the footage, or whether I should just look for a used/old camcorder. I am using a new IMAC, so not sure if there would be compatibility issues.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Look for a used camcorder. Thrift stores, yard sales, Craigslist. (Though I must say, around here tape camcorders are shockingly hard to find.)

There are VCR-type decks for the miniDV format but they are far rarer, more expensive, and don't offer any benefit for just getting the data off the tapes.

Wait, new iMac? It looks like Apple did away with Firewire. You may have to borrow a computer as well or get them transferred by someone else.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by vaporeon800 View Post
    Look for a used camcorder. Thrift stores, yard sales, Craigslist. (Though I must say, around here tape camcorders are shockingly hard to find.)

There are VCR-type decks for the miniDV format but they are far rarer, more expensive, and don't offer any benefit for just getting the data off the tapes.

Wait, new iMac? It looks like Apple did away with Firewire. You may have to borrow a computer as well or get them transferred by someone else.
    I wasn't aware of this issue. Just dug around a little bit, and some suggest that you can still capture Mini-DV footage on a new Mac by using some sort of firewire adapter?
    Quote Quote  
  4. So there is no way of transferring DV footage to an IMAC? WTH>
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    There is a $30 Thunderbolt to Firewire 800 adapter. (You would need to use a Firewire 800 to Firewire 400 adapter cable to connect it to a camera.) However, I don't know enough tell you if it will work to transfer video from a camera or not. The adapter may only work with some Firewire devices, like hard drives, and not all of them.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    There is a $30 Thunderbolt to Firewire 800 adapter. (You would need to use a Firewire 800 to Firewire 400 adapter cable to connect it to a camera.) However, I don't know enough tell you if it will work to transfer video from a camera or not. The adapter may only work with some Firewire devices, like hard drives, and not all of them.
    Thanks. I appreciate the reply.
    Quote Quote