VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This comes as a surprise to you? Really?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    What usually_quiet said. It should be clear by now that Microsoft REALLY wants everybody to leave XP. They will do what it takes to make staying with it as painful as possible. I do get that XP was pretty good and can still meet some people's needs, but with it being abandoned for security fixes, as an IT worker I cannot in good conscience advise anybody to use it. Some of the industry security gurus have predicted that "zero day" exploits (this term means an exploit that was not previously known to exist and thus has no fix once it appears because Microsoft doesn't even know it's a potential problem) for XP are being held in reserve by the bad guys and that once fixes officially stop, they are going to bring them out to compromise as many PCs as they can.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I agree. If they're not going to support it anymore why would mse be exempt?

If you absolutely must have xp it'd be insane to connect it online anymore. Supported windows versions aren't very secure. Either buy a new machine or install another OS on that machine along side it and run XP in a VM.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    On Microsoft's website is a page to download manual update definitions for MSE. If for some reason Microsoft does disable automatic updates for MSE XP, one could download the definitions and extract them to the proper place.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by roma_turok View Post
    No big deal
    Free antiviruses: Avast, Avira, AVG
    Well, yes, that will certainly be a possible solution for the MSE issue, but it in no addresses the idea that XP may be EXTREMELY insecure once updates stop. I know a lot of users ignorantly think "My PC is simply too small and insignificant for the bad guys to bother with hacking it" but the problem is that almost everybody who they do hack thinks that way too and they were wrong about it.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Vidd View Post
    On Microsoft's website is a page to download manual update definitions for MSE. If for some reason Microsoft does disable automatic updates for MSE XP, one could download the definitions and extract them to the proper place.
    MSE itself is sometimes updated to a new version. What if updated versions of MSE released after April are coded so that they won't run on a Windows XP system and Microsoft stops providing update definitions that work for older versions of MSE that still run on XP? Once XP support ends, that could easily happen.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'm sure third party software/hardware supporters will continue to support XP for a number of years yet. Microsoft may want it to die, but if another party wants their app/device used/bought, they will widen their support of platforms.

But this is still sad nevertheless. I loved XP. Everything worked on it very well. Now it looks like a good 4-5 of my machines are going to be obsolete, unless they become dedicated to offline tasks, like capture boxes, encoding machines, etc. Even so, it's still sad.

OK, they mention upgrading. Fine, getting a new PC is a solution. But what do you do with an older PC? I don't think many XP machines can even run Vista, let alone Win 7 or Win 8. What do you do then, throw them away?
    I hate VHS. I always did.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Hmm - my AV computer (1.2 GHz, 1 GB DDR) has been running XP without antivirus for about eight years now. Never had a spot of bother with it. I doubt that it will suddenly become a virus/malware magnet once Microsoft stops supporting it.
    Quote Quote  
  9. A Member since June, 2004 Keyser's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I think there's a lot of unjustified alarm regarding this matter. I can tell you that I ran Windows XP SP2 without ANY updates whatsoever, NO Windows firewall and NO antivirus for almost a decade (until December 2012) always online and never had a single problem.

That's right! No browser hijacks, no trojans, nothing. From time to time I would run an on-demand antivirus scan, just to be on the safe side, but never found anything wrong.

My only protection was my router's firewall and, of course, the fact that my machine was behind a router which is, by itself, the most important protection measure.
    "The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."
    Quote Quote  
  10. If you absolutely must have xp it'd be insane to connect it online anymore. Supported windows versions aren't very secure. Either buy a new machine or install another OS on that machine along side it and run XP in a VM.
    This is very good news. Everybody needs to keep repeating this. Then you can buy xp computers for a few dollars or pull them out of the trash. I've been running xp since 2001, no installed anti-virus, no xp updates, no browser updates or any other software updates. The purpose of no updates is I never want data to flow (not of my choosing) and slow the computer down. Also, any time data flows, this hard drive makes a lot of noise (always has) and wakes me up at night. Four times I got a virus/malware:
    1) infected usb memory stick - I learned how to avoid this (use no autorun)
    2) went to pirate downloading website and downloaded something
    3) went to chinese website
    4) installed adware - used system restore to solve that problem
    I don't do on-line banking.
    I use Malwarebytes.
    For me, viruses/malware are so rare that I welcome them because I can learn how to get rid of them.The computer is on 24/7, but if I do restart it, I always first go to the Task Manager and stop all unnecessary processes ( Google updates, etc.)
    Last edited by jimdagys; 9th Jan 2014 at 21:34.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    naive people suck. no doubt you're all owned and don't even know it. hopefully your isp's will take you offline until you learn to protect the net.

Stanford Secure Computing

Information Security Office » Secure Computing » Computer Security Myths

Computer Security Myths

Myth: The internet is so huge; no one will attack my computer. Fact: Hackers use automated tools that continually probe computers to find attack vectors. A new, unprotected computer installed on the internet will be generally be compromised within seven minutes.
    if you can read it take only on average 7 minutes for a windows XP computer to be infected without a/v type software. NO unprotected computer is safe.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    it take only on average 7 minutes for a windows XP computer to be infected without a/v type software.
    Not if you're behind a decent router.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by PuzZLeR View Post
    I'm sure third party software/hardware supporters will continue to support XP for a number of years yet. Microsoft may want it to die, but if another party wants their app/device used/bought, they will widen their support of platforms.
    XP hardware support is already starting to erode. I have been looking at parts for a new build since the fall of last year.The Socket 1150 motherboards from ECS, MSI and Gigabyte I have been considering have no Windows XP driver downloads available.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    XP hardware support is already starting to erode. I have been looking at parts for a new build since the fall of last year.The Socket 1150 motherboards from ECS, MSI and Gigabyte I have been considering have no Windows XP driver downloads available.
    speaking of parts here's something else that is going to be hard to find - http://www.myce.com/news/western-digital-stops-sales-of-pata-drives-69960/
    Quote Quote  
  15. A Member since June, 2004 Keyser's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    naive people suck. no doubt you're all owned and don't even know it. hopefully your isp's will take you offline until you learn to protect the net.
    I've been a computer user and programmer since 1976. So, forgive me if I don't consider myself as naive.
    "The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Keyser View Post
    Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    I've been a computer user and programmer since 1976. So, forgive me if I don't consider myself as naive.

and Stanford University and SANS Technology Institute are what? mail order diploma mills?
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  17. Someone with a data stealing trojan on their computer will never know it, unless it is detected by an anti-virus program. Even with good protection, it is possible to become infected and not know it, if the infection does not make itself known.

Not having a problem is one thing, but nobody can say they "have never had a malware(virus/trojan) infection", because you just don't know. If you don't do anything sensitive on your computer, then its not such a big deal, as long as you don't mind reinstalling windows.

Most of my issues in the past have come from game downloads. I have had 2 drive by virus infections (in about 10 years), just by visiting a website pulled off of a search engine, while just looking up data. More importantly I have had many infections prevented by anti-virus program blocking a website that was maliciously engaging my system, which a person without protection would not realize if the malware did not make itself known.

If your computer is used for very limited functions, and not used for online banking/shopping, then maybe its not a big deal to go without anti-virus. As long as your data is backed up, worse you can do is have to reinstall windows. But with faster computers today, there is no reason to go without virus protection on multi-core computers.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Ok, I'm realizing that whether XP will/won't work for a few more years is moot thinking. It's obviously inevitable that an XP machine will experience more and more failures over time regardless, online/offline/hw/sw/etc/whatever.

So I may as well get started now.

I'm looking into purchasing Windows 7. Won't use an OEM Win7 from another machine (shouldn't anyway) and WON'T use Vista, even if I could buy it.

Looking to save a few machines from 2002ish-2006ish. Likely will use Ultimate 32-bit.

I'm wondering if it's worth it - is there a lightweight approach to using Windows 7 on older XP-native machines?
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by PuzZLeR View Post
    is there a lightweight approach to using Windows 7 on older XP-native machines?
    Turn off Aero.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Constant Gardener View Post
    Hmm - my AV computer (1.2 GHz, 1 GB DDR) has been running XP without antivirus for about eight years now. Never had a spot of bother with it. I doubt that it will suddenly become a virus/malware magnet once Microsoft stops supporting it.
    You fail to understand that your computer could indeed and in fact may already be a zombie under the control of outside forces for various nefarious purposes. You might never notice at all depending on the kind of work the controllers have your PC doing. This has nothing to do with protecting against viruses or malware as the infection can be done without resorting to either of those by exploiting security holes in Windows or getting you (or someone using your PC) to foolishly click on a link in an email. Or your computer may be fine and you simply never get compromised, but "this never happened to me in the past" doesn't mean or prove you can't become a victim in the future.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jman98
    You fail to understand that your computer could indeed and in fact may already be a zombie under the control of outside forces for various nefarious purposes. You might never notice at all depending on the kind of work the controllers have your PC doing. This has nothing to do with protecting against viruses or malware as the infection can be done without resorting to either of those by exploiting security holes in Windows or getting you (or someone using your PC) to foolishly click on a link in an email. Or your computer may be fine and you simply never get compromised, but "this never happened to me in the past" doesn't mean or prove you can't become a victim in the future.
    Sounds like social media too.

(But that's another topic.)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    is there a lightweight approach to using Windows 7 on older XP-native machines?
    Turn off Aero.
    Makes sense.

I'm curious, has anybody tried this on older (XP-native) machines running Win7 and had fluidity?

Is this something that I can bypass during the Win 7 installation? (But I figure it may be too deeply embedded).

I just don't care for glitzy stuff on the older machines, just make them function longer and safer, and without headaches.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Last night I installed Windows 7 on a P4 2.6Ghz with 2.5GB of RAM. It ran without a problem with the exception that the onboard Intel 865G video didn't have drivers. The XP driver runs, but you won't get Aero with them. A cheap AGP card will get you Aero Glass if you want it.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    speaking of parts here's something else that is going to be hard to find - http://www.myce.com/news/western-digital-stops-sales-of-pata-drives-69960/
    Here's an amusing fact, I've seen WD IDE drives that used the same Silicon Image SATA-IDE bridge chip as those converter boards.

Back on topic, I have used Avast on slow PC's with XP and it works great. If the PC is too slow you can remove features through Add remove program in Control Panel. You can do without Software Updater, it checks your 3rd party programs for new versions and slows down your PC. Avast Cloud and WebRep also affect performance and you can also remove some of the shields (P2P, IM and Mail). I have a barebone setup running on a P3 1000 and it's useable.

If you're willing to spend a little ($10-$20 on sale) Kaspersky Internet Suite works really well on an AthlonXP 1800.
    Last edited by nic2k4; 10th Jan 2014 at 21:36.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by october262
    I know they have adapters that go from pata to sata. Don't they have them the other way around? To use a "new" drive on an old non sata system?
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  26. You can feel free to disagree. I just do not understand why anyone would buy and Use Windows Ultimate. I suspect that the average home user will be just fine with either Home or Pro versions.

I'm running Windows7 Pro on most computers and Windows 8 cheapo version on this computer and it does everything I need
    Large SSD? Check
    A/V,? Check
    Malwarebytes Pro? Check
    8Gb memory? Check
    Use Internet, video editing. Image editing? Check
    Classic Shell with Start button? Check
    Works like a improved Windows 7? Check
    100 + Mbps internet? Check
    Works with External Drives and NAS drives? Check

Missing any features I need? Nope

TBoneit
    If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by TBoneit View Post
    You can feel free to disagree. I just do not understand why anyone would buy and Use Windows Ultimate. I suspect that the average home user will be just fine with either Home or Pro versions.
    I don't disagree. It's just that in several searches I found some sites only sold Ultimate for some reason.

I too believe a simple Home version will suffice, especially on an older machine.

Wondering if I'm allowed to use the same copy on like 4-5 machines.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by NJRoadfan View Post
    Last night I installed Windows 7 on a P4 2.6Ghz with 2.5GB of RAM. It ran without a problem with the exception that the onboard Intel 865G video didn't have drivers. The XP driver runs, but you won't get Aero with them. A cheap AGP card will get you Aero Glass if you want it.
    I've been doing some side research and find actually that Windows 7 (without Aero of course) actually ran XP machines better and faster according to several reports. Was that your case too?

So far the transition doesn't look so bad. When I do get it done hopefully I can post positive results for several machines myself.
    Quote Quote