+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3
Thread
  1. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by nic2k4 View Post
    Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    It also wouldn't surprise me if in March Microsoft throws in the towel and agrees to update XP for yet another year, but as long as they keep making it easy for customers to stay with it, they'll never leave XP.
    That's funny, I was thinking the same thing, although this might be the more important reason. Judging from the perfectly nice XP machines I've seen going to recycling in the past six months, I'd say they've found a more effective way to get XP out of their misery; just wait for some new update that causes a similar effect. At least Microsoft is treating their customers nicer than Apple; they don't just abruptly drop support for older OSx versions (incidently older hardware).
    Very interesting. I'm amazed that ATMs are even as far advanced as using XP. Banks have such a bad reputation for refusing to upgrade ancient software that if you had asked me to guess what ATMs are using, I'd have said "Win 98" and been completely serious.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by NJRoadfan View Post
    An off-lease Core2Duo machine likely includes a Windows 7 OEM COA/license and has enough resources to run it without a problem.
    If that was the case it would be a great way to get a Win 7 CoA to use on your better PC and just swap XP onto that one, but so far I've only seen XP or Vista being offered with them. The next step in eradicating XP would be for Microsoft to stop re-activating a product key when the hardware change is too great. That would imply that they keep a database to match hardware and keys.

Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    Very interesting. I'm amazed that ATMs are even as far advanced as using XP. Banks have such a bad reputation for refusing to upgrade ancient software that if you had asked me to guess what ATMs are using, I'd have said "Win 98" and been completely serious.
    Win 98, way too advanced, ATM's used to run OS/2 when IBM abandoned it they didn't have a choice to find another OS. Which really sucked, before XP on ATM there never was widespread ATM outages. The worse part is that OS/2 is still available and supported under the name eComStation.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by nic2k4 View Post
    Judging from the perfectly nice XP machines I've seen going to recycling in the past six months, I'd say they've found a more effective way to get XP out of their misery; just wait for some new update that causes a similar effect.
    Ok, scratch that first part Microsoft released a fix last patch Tuesday, but the second part could still happen.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Anyone else experience MS Windows Update not working for some strange reason? Installed a new HD & XP Pro on parents computer and the MS Windows Update doesn't work.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by budz View Post
    Anyone else experience MS Windows Update not working for some strange reason? Installed a new HD & XP Pro on parents computer and the MS Windows Update doesn't work.
    are you getting some kind of error code???
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    Originally Posted by budz View Post
    are you getting some kind of error code???
    It automatically goes to a webpage saying, "Windows Update does not start in Windows".
    I'm wondering if I'll have to reinstall XP Pro again....
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Kerry56 View Post

thanks kerry I found the solution and installed a updated patch for windows update.
    Quote Quote