VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I don't know if this is the appriopriate section for this question, but here it goes:

When I watch movies on my television (Loewe Chassis ssl 1 xx) the subtitles do not show, however the .srt and .avi (or whatever) files do have the same name. This technique does work on my girlfriend's tv so I know how it's supposed to work.

I wonder if there are any solutions for this? I know that my tv's software probably lies at the basis of my problem, but I think that's odd as it is a relatively new tv.

I know one solution is to hardcode the subtitles using programs such as xvid4psp etc., but they all seem to take quite long (at least 45 minutes) I wonder if there's any faster alternative?

Thanks in advance.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You can try AVIAddXSubs and make an avi/divx with built in image/xsub subtitles. No video reconversion.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Are they in a language other than English? All possible languages are not supported by TV playback devices. If the language uses an alphabet other than Latin, there is some possibility that the language may be supported but only if a specific encoding (this may also be known as "code pages" in Windows) is used.

It could also be that your off brand TV simply does not support subtitles when doing AVI playback. You'll need to check the documentation that came with the TV to see what it supports.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    You can try AVIAddXSubs and make an avi/divx with built in image/xsub subtitles. No video reconversion.
    I just tried this and unfortunately it does not work either, the tv won't display divx files, and I don't seem to be able to output an avi file with that program.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You can just try rename it to .avi.

Or else must you probably hardcode subs. I would use avirecomp for that.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    Are they in a language other than English? All possible languages are not supported by TV playback devices. If the language uses an alphabet other than Latin, there is some possibility that the language may be supported but only if a specific encoding (this may also be known as "code pages" in Windows) is used.

It could also be that your off brand TV simply does not support subtitles when doing AVI playback. You'll need to check the documentation that came with the TV to see what it supports.
    Yes it are English subtitles, so that can't be the problem. I can' t find any information in the manual about subtitles so I'm afraid the only solution will be to hardcode them
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    You can just try rename it to .avi.

Or else must you probably hardcode subs. I would use avirecomp for that.
    I already tried that trick, but my tv seems to be a stubborn one, didn't help. I'll check that program now.
    Quote Quote