VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have 3 MKV files that are a three part configuration. Along with these 3 MKVs I have 3 SRTs with the subtitles synced to it. The entire thing is about 5 hours of video.

The MKVs contain MPEG4 and DTS audio.

What I want to do is this -
    MKV 1 and SRT 1 cut off the last 20 seconds.
    MKV 2 and SRT 2 cut off the first minute and 20 seconds and then cut off the last 20 seconds.
    MKV 3 and SRT 3 cut off the first 2 minutes.

Then I want to combine all the MKVs and SRTs together to have one MKV as the final result.

I tried to use SolviegMM video splitter and this was able to join all the MKVs where I was able to use the same program to trim out the parts I did not want but by doing this this left me with 1 KMV and 3 SRTs and the SRTs did not sync and try and play back when hey should because of the trimming and the fact they were multifiled.

I also tried putting all 6 items into a MKV but the second MKV container I think was a bit much for playing back. The output of the second KMV was totally washed out and the interesting thing is the player started barking after the first KVM completed when it should have gone to the second one (e.g things like fast forward stopped working).

So since I know I can deal with the video using SolviegMM video splitter I either need 1) some kind of SRT file combiner or some way to go about syncing these srts or 2) some program that deals with MKV and SRTs editing at the same time.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    an srt is a plain text file. you can edit it with notepad. the second and third srt files will have entries starting with 0 minutes. trying to combine them would mean you would have to edit their start/stop times to add the time length of the previous videos. not easy or enjoyable.

buy a copy of the movie or be happy with 3 separate videos.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Unfortunately I own the media and the srts are from someone elses work and not on the media. The media does not contain subtitles as it is, so no matter what I do manipulation wise I will have to modify srts. It would be nice if anyone else has any ideas outside of modifying each and every line in the srts.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You can add the subtitle to each mkv and then with the new mkv cut the last 20 seconds. This will cut the audio, video and subs. Not sure about DTS however. The the same pattern with the other mkv files. You can use the splitting command found under Global tab. You could then try appending mkv2 and 3 to mkv 1 corrected. Haven't actually done this myself but unless someone has prior experience with this I would at least give it a go.

If it works and is in sync and your media player can't reproduce internal srt subs within the mkv you could then extract it using mkvextract. Good luck
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks I never thought about tossing them back in and manipulating it that way. I'll give it a try.
    Quote Quote