VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Many threads I've seen on trying to get the straight of getting quality cdrs at a good price often become muddled in detective work-- what's the printing on them, where are they made (and how would you know without breaking the shrink wrap) etc.

I've used Meritline and Supermedia store to get the old lable Tayo Yuden disks which are now called JVC Tayo Yuden. The old Doc TY thread which was going for ages has fallen into disuse.

Rather than a description, just what are you buying these days to backup program content or even AVI video?

Is this a poll subject that I could reference?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    CD media is a no-brainer, non-issue these days. You are wasting your time.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You would think it has been a no-brainer for a long time, but maybe not.

In 2007 my sister brought me a package of Sony CD-Rs that ImgBurn identifies as made by Sony so I could make safety copies of her son's music CDs, since I had 2 burners. Those Sony CD-Rs were crap. Many failed during burning. Finally we just gave up on the Sony CD-Rs and used my Verbatim CD-Rs. You would think Maxell CD-Rs made by Prodisc that I got for temporary use would be worse than the Sony discs, but none of them failed during burning.
    Quote Quote  
  4. The question is: what CDr media are you buying these days?

Also interested in knowing a good brand of double or dual layer dvd in small quantity.

It may be that thumb drives are more commonly used to offload program content to run things like HD clone routines or disk scans.

But I'd like the question I posed answered by current buyers of recordable CD and DVD. Not erasable, not lightscribe, not printable-- just optical disks to store programs and video content.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post

I think hech54 meant that using CD-R as a backup/archive/copy product in general is not recommended, considering what's on the market today.

I'm just assuming that's what he meant. I could be mistaken...
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Those Sony CD-Rs were crap.
    Originally Posted by loninappleton View Post
    The question is: what CDr media are you buying these days?
    SONY actually. I've been grabbing Sony 50 pack spindles at the local store for about 10 years now.
    Sony discs. LG Burners. ImgBurn or Prassi Ones to burn. Never a flaw.

Originally Posted by Clockwork View Post
    Nope....not mistaken. I even use TDK CD-Rs and EVERYTHING they make sucks...
    I use the weird 90 minute TDKs because I cannot find anyone else that has 90's.....and even those are now rare as hen's teeth over here.
    The "good CD media" thing is just not worth worrying about anymore if you ask me.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Clockwork View Post

I think hech54 meant that using CD-R as a backup/archive/copy product in general is not recommended, considering what's on the market today.

Maybe so, but there may be some people like me who still make safety copies of music CDs once in a while to use while driving. I don't have (or want) an iPod, which would be my other option to use with this car.

Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    Those Sony CD-Rs were crap.
    SONY actually. I've been grabbing Sony 50 pack spindles at the local store for about 10 years now.
    Sony discs. LG Burners. ImgBurn or Prassi Ones to burn. Never a flaw.
    I used an LG burner and ImgBurn too. Maybe Sony sells a slightly different product in the EU than in the USA, or my sister was unlucky.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    i have a couple hundred verbatim cdr that have always worked fine for me. since i don't seem to burn more than 10 a year anymore they should last til i die.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM

Also interested in knowing a good brand of double or dual layer dvd in small quantity.

It may be that thumb drives are more commonly used to offload program content to run things like HD clone routines or disk scans.

But I'd like the question I posed answered by current buyers of recordable CD and DVD. Not erasable, not lightscribe, not printable-- just optical disks to store programs and video content.
    I haven't bought any CD-R discs in a few years. I'm still using the Maxell CD-Rs I mentioned which I bought after my sister used the last of my Verbatim CD-Rs for her son's music.

Anything other than Verbatim DVD+R DL is just a waste of money.
    Quote Quote  
  10. The only thing I've seen in a small quantity of double layer dvd disks for use with longer originals is by TDK at $14.00/25.

I'm looking for a very small quality.

I have in my stock 2 50 ct spindles of Verbatim DVD which at the moment I don't know how I'd ever use up. But I have the need for CDr and dual layer/ double layer whose difference I don't really understand anymore either.

I put a single software prog on a CDr and store it in a box. It's way easier to thumb through a box of single titles than picking through media labeled with multiple things, then loading that and so forth. Plus you can set a cd on top of an audio speaker to tv and still have the program when you remove it.

The JVC Taiyo Yuden is still the standard so far as I can see for CDrs. Then the smallest quantity of double or dual layer remains. These should work with a two hour plus original. As I said I no longer know what dual vs double means. I have seen originals _playable_ on both sides and that may be it. Which is which?

Other opinions cheerfully accepted.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I mostly buy Taiyo Yuden Watershield CD-R discs these days, but in the past I have also used Verbatim's AZO CD-R discs. I'm not sure I really trust the other brands, but I have a few old CD-Rs from various other manufacturers and they still work.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search PM
    I've always used Taiyo Yuden recordable cds. Never had an issue with them. But it is extremely rare for me to burn cds anymore.

If you need double layer DVD's, buy Verbatim AZO +R discs. Like these at Amazon.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The only thing I've seen in a small quantity of double layer dvd disks for use with longer originals is by TDK at $14.00/25.

I'm looking for a very small quality.
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=396615&Q=&is=REG&A=details
    Quote Quote  
  14. The dual layer is what I'm after. Just got done reading the wiki on it. I guess Verbatim is my best bet for those even at the premium price.

My error was in asking for double layer. I have seen those used rarely in some dvd box sets but I am not doing anything related to that.

My recorder is an Asus DRW - 24B1ST firmware aV1.04 I do not recall that I have done any firmware updates on the unit.
    Quote Quote