VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Bought a history DVD, but lost as how to play it, see screenshot. thanksClick image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-01-07 at 6.28.34 PM.jpg
Views:	635
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	22630
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    If you are trying to play this on a computer, get a media player like VLC or Media Player Classic Home Cinema and open the Video_TS folder which holds all these files.

Alternately, you could open the VTS_01_0.IFO file with one of these players.

Edit: Just noticed this was in the Mac forum, but there is a version of VLC for Macs.
    Last edited by Kerry56; 7th Jan 2014 at 20:39.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thanks Kerry, bit lost. Usually I just clicked on some file/ folder and boom it played.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    OS X should have a player built in, called DVD Player. Sounds like that is what you were using.

If this is a newer computer that you've just started using, DVD Player software will only install into a machine that has a dvd drive connected at the time the operating system is installed.
    Quote Quote  
  5. If it has a menu (obvious as it has a number of VOB sets) you should try opening the VIDEO_TS.IFO in your player.
    I don't have a Mac but it should work. Create a shortcut to the file for future use.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Trans, does not work. VIDEO_TS.IFO will not open in DVD player, greyed out.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    everything should be in a folder call VIDEO_TS. if it's not, make one and copy everything into it. then click on the folder.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Aed, thanks,
    yes I remember in past I think I would just double click the folder VIDEO_TS and things would start. But with this DVD, I double click on VIDEO_TS and it just open the folder to show the contents inside it.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    Then I go back to my original suggestion. Install VLC for Mac and use it to play dvds. Within VLC you click on Media-->Open Folder and navigate to the Video_TS folder. Done.

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-macosx.html
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Kerry, thanks, excellent. Works with VLC. Why so much issues being I have Macs DVD player ? ?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Software DVD players, both Mac and Windows, are occasionally balky with certain DVDs or rips that have goofy or off-spec formatting. Its just a random thing that happens. Switching to a different software player sometimes helps, but double clicking on the VIDEO_TS folder won't necessarily open DVD player software automatically: usually its more reliable to open the player first, then drag the VIDEO_TS folder into the player window to begin playback. In the Apple DVD Player, you can also try File> Open DVD Media> VIDEO_TS to play the DVD.

With 95% of commercial DVDs, the Apple DVD Player will run automatically and begin playing the disc as soon as it loads: you actually don't need to open the DVD yourself. The slot-load Matsushita and Hitachi DVD drives used in Macs can be painfully slow to recognize discs, however: it can take a good minute or so before DVD Player opens itself.
    Last edited by orsetto; 8th Jan 2014 at 18:25.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Nice info/ post Orsetto. thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    To play a DVD folder from your hard disk, you may drag-and-drop the VIDEO_TS folder to a capable player, e.g. Apple DVD Player or VLC.
    To play a DVD disc (or mounted disc image), you may just open Apple DVD Player and it will start playing once it detects a valid volume.
    To play a DVD disc (or mounted disc image) in VLC, you may use the same method as with a folder on your hard disk.

I find it easier to drag-and-drop a folder to an icon in the Dock, than to use the menu options of the app.

Quote Quote  
  14. hi,kevs
    You double-click the DVD appears on the things you picture,
    If you double-click a folder inside that thing, if there is a reaction?
    Quote Quote