VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Hey folks,

Currently I have a Motorola QIP7100-2 STB with Verizon Fios. I would like to know if there's any way I can record (like I would with my capture device [ElGato HD]) but have the unencrypted file.

I currently don't have a DVR. I don't know if that will help or not.

Usually, I use my capture device to record TV shows but I would like to know if there's another way to have the truer source?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by GEOLINK View Post
    Hey folks,

Currently I have a Motorola QIP7100-2 STB with Verizon Fios. I would like to know if there's any way I can record (like I would with my capture device [ElGato HD]) but have the unencrypted file.

Usually, I use my capture device to record TV shows but I would like to know if there's another way to have the truer source?
    Firewire (IEEE-1394) maybe, but it isn't usually a workable option. You need a Firewire port on the PC, a firewire cable, and a 32-bit version of Windows to use the required ExDeus capture drivers (and I am not sure if capture drivers for your STB exist). Even for many who have the right software and hardware to try it, Firewire capture either doesn't work at all, or only works for a small number of over-the-air channels.

You might have better luck if you use a CableCARD tuner (assuming you have Windows 7) but even that may result in an encrypted recording or no recording, depending on what Verizon does with copy protection flags.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    For unencrypted recording from a FIOS HD box I'd think something like the Hauppauge HD PVR would do it, but it uses HD component output and records to a PC. Some cable companies have set their STB's to disable component output if HDMI is also being used, and some will eventually disable component output entirely. Face it: cable companies want you to pay for their DVR and absolutely insist that if you want your own copies of anything you have to buy it on disc (even if 90% of what you see on TV has never been on DVD/HD disc and never will be).

I record about 20% of my library to AVCHD with a Hauppauge DVR. The rest is still being recorded off my old SD digital box into SD DVD with Toshiba RD-XS34 and Panasonic ES20 recorders. Eventually that SD box will be gone as well. But so far I have over 3000 recordings that I will still own after the greedy cable bastards cut me off entirely.
    Last edited by sanlyn; 19th Mar 2014 at 09:59.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Hey folks,

Firewire (IEEE-1394) maybe, but it isn't usually a workable option. You need a Firewire port on the PC, a firewire cable, and a 32-bit version of Windows to use the required ExDeus capture drivers (and I am not sure if capture drivers for your STB exist). Even for many who have the right software and hardware to try it, Firewire capture either doesn't work at all, or only works for a small number of over-the-air channels.

You might have better luck if you use a CableCARD tuner (assuming you have Windows 7) but even that may result in an encrypted recording or no recording, depending on what Verizon does with copy protection flags.
    I do have a Firewire 1394 port on the front of my desktop and I do have Windows 7 64 Bit Ultimate edition.

The channels I record the most are USA Network, SyFy Channel, ION Network and such.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by sanlyn View Post
    For unencrypted recording from a FIOS HD box I'd think something like the Hauppauge HD PVR would do it, but it uses HD component output and records to a PC. Some cable companies have set their STB's to disable component output if HDMI is also being used, and some will eventually disable component output entirely. Face it: cable companies want you to pay for their DVR and absolutely insist that if you want your own copies of anything you have to buy it on disc (even if 90% of what you see on TV has never been on DVD/HD disc and never will be).

I record about 20% of my library to AVCHD with a Hauppauge DVR. The rest is still being recorded off my old SD digital box into SD DVD with Toshiba RD-XS34 and Panasonic ES20 recorders. Eventually that SD box will be gone as well. But so far I have over 3000 recordings that I will still own after the greedy cable bastards cut me off entirely.
    I do have a Hauppauge PVR 1 that I use to record using component before I switched to ElGato HD with an HDCP bypass box to record using HDMI.

What do you think is the optimal bit rate to record STB programming? I use the highest bit rate at 30MB but I heard that was overkill.

I read somewhere that programming are usually 19MBps. I don't know if that's true or it's the standard.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Hey folks,

I do have a Firewire 1394 port on the front of my desktop and I do have Windows 7 64 Bit Ultimate edition.

The channels I record the most are USA Network, SyFy Channel, ION Network and such.
    You need Windows 7 32-bit. There are no 64-bit Firewire drivers in the ExDeus package and never will be.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Hey folks,

You need Windows 7 32-bit. There are no 64-bit Firewire drivers in the ExDeus package and never will be.
    There isn't a way I can use compatibility mode?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Nope. It's a driver issue, not a software compatibility issue. 64 bit OS needs 64 bit drivers. 64 bit Firewire drivers don't exist for ExDeus.

You can't run it in a virtual machine either because no VMs support Firewire, just in case you came up with that idea (I did and looked into it a couple of years ago). Desperate people have tried to hire various programmers through the internet to write 64 bit Firewire drivers and all attempts have ended in failure. The original author has stated that he has no interest in writing 64 bit drivers.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    Nope. It's a driver issue, not a software compatibility issue. 64 bit OS needs 64 bit drivers. 64 bit Firewire drivers don't exist for ExDeus.

You can't run it in a virtual machine either because no VMs support Firewire, just in case you came up with that idea (I did and looked into it a couple of years ago). Desperate people have tried to hire various programmers through the internet to write 64 bit Firewire drivers and all attempts have ended in failure. The original author has stated that he has no interest in writing 64 bit drivers.
    I can always attempt to install Windows Vista Ultimate 32-bit and dual boot if need be. I have the disc for it.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    What do you think is the optimal bit rate to record STB programming? I use the highest bit rate at 30MB but I heard that was overkill.

I read somewhere that programming are usually 19MBps. I don't know if that's true or it's the standard.
    It's probbaly overkill. I set my PVR for either 12 or 13.5, depending on how crappy the incoming signal usually is -- and sometimes the word crap seems an accurate description for what the cable companies are doing. That's a variable bitrate setting, which almost always comes out to an actual 9 MBps target and 20 MBps max. A "target" VBR is the desired average, which might be exceeded or not depending on what the encoder thinks is needed. A high constant bitrate is almost always going to be a waste of space. Anyway, the PVR offers various settings, but those that I quoted seem more than adequate. Those recordings are transferred to another PC, then edited (bye-bye, commercials!) in TMPGEnc Smart Renderer and saved as AVCHD on portable hard drives. I did make a few discs with menus, but it hardly seemed worth the trouble.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jman98 View Post

I can always attempt to install Windows Vista Ultimate 32-bit and dual boot if need be. I have the disc for it.
    Vista 32-bit could work. I think Vista Ultimate includes Media Center. Setting up Media Center for Filewire capture can be quite complicated, so you will need a few hours to devote to it. See http://home.comcast.net/~exdeus/stbfirewire/

...and don't be surprised if the channels you want to record are blocked. I have Comcast service and could only record a few local SD and HD channels via firewire. The rest were blocked.
    Quote Quote  
  12. We've had FIOS for a few years now. I have one HD DVR box and two SD boxes.
    To the best of my knowledge the firewire port on the FIOS box is disabled and will require serious hacking with info from the darkside of the internet to get to work.

According to FIOS customer service 2 years ago you can hook up a VCR to the composite out jacks on either tyoe of box to record programming.

One of my SD boxes is hooked up to a Hauppauge 1950 via s-video which then runs to a PC running NextPVR and that is my main record and save machine.
    On the HD-DVR box I have used my Toshiba DVR-610 recorder hooked up via s-video, but often the signal is flagged as copy protected so I run it into a AV-Toolbox AVT-8710 stabilizer and then to the Toshiba DVD recorder. This solves that problem.
    Recently I have started using a Hauppauge HPVR 1212 to record HiDef programming to my laptop, but I've only bothered to do this a few times as I find it to be a bit of a hassle right now.

--dES
    "You can observe a lot by watching." - Yogi Bera
    http://www.areturningadultstudent.com
    Quote Quote  
  13. Has anyone tried this piece of hardware?

http://www.silicondust.com/products/hdhomerun/prime/

Is it possible to contact Verizon for a M-Card even though I don't have a DVR?
    Quote Quote  
  14. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Des View Post
    Recently I have started using a Hauppauge HPVR 1212 to record HiDef programming to my laptop, but I've only bothered to do this a few times as I find it to be a bit of a hassle right now.
    Some people really like to rough it, I guess.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Has anyone tried this piece of hardware?

I haven't tried one yet, but that is one of the better CableCARD tuners and Verizon FIOS does have M-Cards available. Windows 7's (both 32-bit and 64-bit) Media Center will work, Vista's Media Center will not work.

A CableCARD tuner will allow you to record most digital channels in their original format. If you want portable recordings it may not be possible. Only recordings from channels marked "copy freely" will be recorded in an unencrypted form and portable. Channels that are marked "copy once" will be stored in an encrypted form and will be tied to the box that created them. Channels that are marked "copy never" (only premium channels like HBO are eleigible) can't be recorded. Verizon used to mark everything 'copy freely" but now uses "copy once" on some channels, maybe most.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by sanlyn View Post
    Originally Posted by Des View Post
    Some people really like to rough it, I guess.
    I would call it lazy.

--dES
    "You can observe a lot by watching." - Yogi Bera
    http://www.areturningadultstudent.com
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post

I haven't tried one yet, but that is one of the better CableCARD tuners and Verizon FIOS does have M-Cards available. Windows 7's (both 32-bit and 64-bit) Media Center will work, Vista's Media Center will not work.

A CableCARD tuner will allow you to record most digital channels in their original format. If you want portable recordings it may not be possible. Only recordings from channels marked "copy freely" will be recorded in an unencrypted form and portable. Channels that are marked "copy once" will be stored in an encrypted form and will be tied to the box that created them. Channels that are marked "copy never" (only premium channels like HBO are eleigible) can't be recorded. Verizon used to mark everything 'copy freely" but now uses "copy once" on some channels, maybe most.
    Any way to crack open the encrypted files?
    Quote Quote  
  18. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/334145-HDCP-strippers
    Last edited by sanlyn; 19th Mar 2014 at 10:00.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM

Nobody has beaten Microsoft's encryption yet.

An HDMI stripper doesn't work directly with a CableCARD tuner. For an HDMI stripper to be useful to you for making your recordings portable, you would need to re-record them from your PC's HDMI-out using an HD capture device that accepts HDMI input.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Since you already have the Hauppauge PVR, why not just grab one of the HDFury units. Then just grab what you want off the HDMI output.

My new setup will likely be like that (I have already purchased most of the hardware). Sources (STB etc) go into a matrix splitter. One output goes to the TV. The other output goes --> HD Fury --> Hauppauge --> Laptop.

No messing around with cables when I want to capture instead of play to TV, most stuff can be tidily tucked away, Laptop on wireless keyboard/mouse.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Originally Posted by Chopmeister View Post
    Since you already have the Hauppauge PVR, why not just grab one of the HDFury units. Then just grab what you want off the HDMI output.

My new setup will likely be like that (I have already purchased most of the hardware). Sources (STB etc) go into a matrix splitter. One output goes to the TV. The other output goes --> HD Fury --> Hauppauge --> Laptop.

No messing around with cables when I want to capture instead of play to TV, most stuff can be tidily tucked away, Laptop on wireless keyboard/mouse.
    I do have an HDCP bypass but it isn't a Fury. Those are mighty expensive though.
    Quote Quote  
  22. I have the Verizon Fios- Motorola QIP 7216 P2, and I am trying to figure this out as well. I am trying to transfer recorded programs off of my DVR ANY WAY that I can.

I have an old laptop with FireWire port and Vista, but when I tried to run the DVR to laptop, it kept saying the Tuner couldn't be found.

I have been able to transfer my recordings using the RCA cables to my external DVD-recorder, but its not HD.

Is there ANY way to get my HD recordings on to a hard drive or DVD?? I have new PC's with Windows 8, but they have no firewire... and I am willing to buy a Blu Ray Recorder if needed. I just need this stuff off my DVR.

thanks,
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by borntalent View Post
    I have the Verizon Fios- Motorola QIP 7216 P2, and I am trying to figure this out as well. I am trying to transfer recorded programs off of my DVR ANY WAY that I can.

I have an old laptop with FireWire port and Vista, but when I tried to run the DVR to laptop, it kept saying the Tuner couldn't be found.

I have been able to transfer my recordings using the RCA cables to my external DVD-recorder, but its not HD.

Is there ANY way to get my HD recordings on to a hard drive or DVD?? I have new PC's with Windows 8, but they have no firewire... and I am willing to buy a Blu Ray Recorder if needed. I just need this stuff off my DVR.

thanks,
    The FireWire port on the DVR is probably disabled. The FCC no longer requires FireWire ports to be enabled, so many times they are disabled.

Even if the FireWire port were working, it is unlikely that you could capture your recordings from the DVR via FireWire. FireWire recording rarely works for anything but live TV. Those who have tried recording from their DVR report that the signal is scrambled by the DVR when playing back recordings.

You will need to get an HD capture device, play back the DVR recordings that you want to save and re-record with the HD capture device. It will take some time to set up an HD capture device and learn how to use it. If you need a USB 2.0 device to connect to a laptop, the Hauppauge HD-PVR 2 is a good choice. If you want an internal capture device, the Hauppauge Colossus has worked well for me. If you want a device that can record without being connected to a PC, the AverMedia Game Capture HD II (C285) is a good choice, but you need to provide the 2.5-inch hard drive. If you want to capture from HDMI with any of these, you will also need this http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004F9LVXC/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_1?pf_rd_p=1944687722 plus a couple more HDMI cables.

A Blu-Ray recorder won't work for recording programming in HD. The US models are tools for professional videography. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=1033187&gclid=CJenyNn9jsQCFW0V7...=REG&A=details They can only record HD video from a camera's DV port, USB connection or SD card and only have standard definition analog video inputs. They do not provide HDMI or component inputs that you could connect to the DVR. They won't work with your DVR's FireWire connection.

The Blu-Ray recorders used for recording TV elsewhere in the world won't work either. http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-equipped-high-definition-Recorder-DMR-BR130-K/dp/B009R...u-ray+recorder They can only record in HD when using their TV tuners. A TV tuner won't help you with your problem, and the TV tuners they have are not able to tune ATSC/QAM signals used in N. America.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 4th Mar 2015 at 10:33.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Thanks for all of your help.
    So If I buy this Hauppauge HD-PVR 2, I can play my DVR into this machine and record in HD... then dump it on to my PC and edit out commercials or whatever in any of my video softwares?

I assume: Fios DVR used HDMI to go to Hauppauge HD-PVR 2, then Hauppauge HD-PVR 2 uses USB to go to laptop?
    Last edited by borntalent; 4th Mar 2015 at 12:10.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for all of your help.
    So If I buy this Hauppauge HD-PVR 2, I can play my DVR into this machine and record in HD... then dump it on to my PC and edit out commercials or whatever in any of my video softwares?

I assume: Fios DVR used HDMI to go to Hauppauge HD-PVR 2, then Hauppauge HD-PVR 2 uses USB to go to laptop?
    Yes, you play the recording on your DVR and capture with the HD capture device. However, HDCP copy protection in the HDMI signal will prevent you from recording using Hauppauge's or AVerMedia's HDMI capture devices, unless you use the View HD splitter from my link (or another HDMI Splitter that is also known to remove HDCP as a side effect).

The connections that you would use for the HD-PVR 2 are: FIOS DVR HDMI out to View HD HDMI Splitter HDMI in. View HD HDMI Splitter out to HD-PVR 2 HDMI in. HD-PVR 2 USB 2.0 to laptop USB 2.0. The captured file is created on the laptop. You can edit it there or transfer it to another computer. Be sure to use the version of Arcsoft ShowBiz on the HD-PVR 2's installation disc, and record to TS format, especially if you want to keep the original AC3 5.1 channel audio. Note that a lot of editors have difficulty with the HD-PVR 2's captures. People who own the HD-PVR 2 say that VideoReDo TV Suite H.264 and Cyberlink PowerDirector can edit the HD-PVR 2's capture files.

The AverMedia Game Capture HD II (C285) is a stand-alone device that is not connected to a PC. I forgot to mention that it can also record to an external hard drive (2TB or maller, NTFS formatted) that does not depend on USB for power. You can copy recordings from the external hard to a PC for editing. The connections that you would use for the AverMedia Game Capture HD II are: FIOS DVR HDMI out to View HD HDMI Splitter HDMI in. View HD HDMI Splitter out to AverMedia Game Capture HD II HDMI in. AverMedia Game Capture HD II USB 2.0 to external hard drive USB.
    Quote Quote  
  26. OK cool. I have Cyberlink PowerDirector9 which came with one of those RCA 2 PC connectors I bought a while back. I also have Adobe Premiere Pro as well. I guess I will try to buy the Hauppauge HD-PVR 2 and the HD HDMI Splitter, and run the set up which you explained below, and then edit with the CyberLink PD9.

Thanks so much... fingers crossed.
    Quote Quote  
  27. I googled "Hauppauge HD-PVR 2" and notice that two different ones come up... the regular one and the 'Plus". Is there a difference? Which one do I need?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/25138795?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&adid=2222222222...754992&veh=sem

OR

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Hauppauge-HD-PVR-2-Gaming-Edition-Recorder/21910246?action=p...ingMethod=p13n
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I googled "Hauppauge HD-PVR 2" and notice that two different ones come up... the regular one and the 'Plus". Is there a difference? Which one do I need?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/25138795?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&adid=2222222222...754992&veh=sem

OR

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Hauppauge-HD-PVR-2-Gaming-Edition-Recorder/21910246?action=p...ingMethod=p13n
    Yes, there is a difference. The Gaming Edition Plus is a newer version with optical audio in. It should be able to capture 5.1 channel AC3 audio if it receives 5.1 channel AC3 audio from the set top box via optical audio or HDMI. The optical audio connection is not included on the other Gaming Edition model

If you don't need the extras that are bundled with the GamingEdition Plus for recording video games or would rather have a 2 meter IR blaster cable for controlling your set-top box, get the non-gaming HD-PVR 2 which also has optical audio in: http://www.walmart.com/ip/23596853?wmlspartner=wlpa&adid=22222222227017244701&wl0=&wl1...029752&veh=sem
    Quote Quote  
  29. Thank you so much for your help!! I'm going to try to pick on up next week.
    Quote Quote  
  30. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    The FireWire port on the DVR is probably disabled. The FCC no longer requires FireWire ports to be enabled, so many times they are disabled.
    Quite right. As soon as the FCC changed this, the cable providers got into a mad rush to take it away. I left Comcast roughly 3 years ago for AT&T's Uverse and just prior to my leaving them, every few months they would send me a letter that warned me that as they were continuing to make changes to their cable, my poor old cable box would stop working and I needed to swap it out ASAP. I knew that this was bs and they were just trying to get me to give up the cable box because it still had a working firewire port on it. I never gave it back until I left and it worked fine until then, long after the dire warning claimed it would stop working.

I didn't have a DVR so I couldn't test that, but usually_quiet points out that people who've tried to capture DVR recordings via firewire have failed. What I do with AT&T, who I do have a DVR with, is that I just record whatever I want to keep to my DVR, play it back later, and record the playback in real time with my Hauppauge Colossus card. That works fine for me. I only record via component video and optical audio and I'm pleased with the results.
    Quote Quote