VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello everyone,I've been using TMPGEnc Video Mastering Works 5 for a while now to convert my HD video into DVD5 but in most cases the output size is not accurate although the app is stating the estimated and authoring size before converting.
    I always end up with a 3 or 3.5 giga byte file instead of 4.xx+ file.
    I'm using NTSC VBR 8bit progressive.

What things that i should set to get a file that will fit exactly on a DVD5?

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Are you using 2-pass VBR?
    What min/average/max bitrates do you set?

What is the running time of a typical video ?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Yes, VBR is a 2pass only anyway.

The bitrate is between 4000 and 5000.
    Video minimum time 90-100 min.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What bitrate audio ?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Dolby digital 5.1 448
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by danswano View Post
    Yes, VBR is a 2pass only anyway.

The bitrate is between 4000 and 5000.
    Video minimum time 90-100 min.
    So, re-encodimg amd doing so at a stingy bitrate is the typical hobbyist's idea of "quality"output. You can go up to 6200 VBR for that amount of video time. On the other hand, many people think that watching compression artifacts on a 60" TV is cool. Otherwise, what you can do is keep adjusting the bitrate upward until you have exactly 0 bytes of free space remaining on your disc.
    Last edited by sanlyn; 19th Mar 2014 at 10:43.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I've tried to set the minimum bitrate to 6000 but it's not forcing it and it keeps using the average bitrate.My default bitrates min:2000 max:9000 average:~4000-6000
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    raise the minimum bitrate to 3600~4000
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You can try lowering the minimum to perhaps, 300. Maximum is OK.
    Can't you set an exact average with this program?

I calculated for a movie 100 minutes and 30 seconds, 448kbps audio,
    a bitrate of 5600 kbps should almost fill the disk.
    Quote Quote  
  10. For some videos it won't me raise the exact bitrate more than a specific number.The only workaround i'm doing is to save it as DVD9 then shrink it. :/
    Quote Quote  
  11. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    There are so many variables that affect the final bitrate and file size, one couldn't list them all. Usually, more action or great detail in a video takes more bitrate. VBR 2-pass would ultimately use lower bitrates in low-motion segments where higher rates aren't required. Soft pulldown reduces the bitrate requirement, interlacing raises it. Noise filtering, deblocking, GOP size, etc., also affect bitrate. Like many encoders, TMPGEnc can sometimes "stick" in a certain niche. Bitrate calculators are a starting point at best. To answer an earlier remark: yes, the app does allow setting a minimum bitrate. The app also has an Advanced section (hidden by default) where you can tweak other settings.
    Quote Quote  
  12. So the only thing i can do for now is to raise the minimum bitrate?
    Quote Quote  
  13. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Raise the minimum and raise the target bitrate. Raising the max above 9K isn't really a safe bet; TMPGEnc tends to try to keep the max at 8000 or so. A peak at 9000 will be problematic for some set top players.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Thanks, i'm aware of the max DVD standard bitrate.I'm trying right now to use 6200 as you suggested in earlier reply but it forced me to use 6135 so i get 100% percentage bar at the bottom.

if i saved the file using CBR 1 pass as DVD9 then shrunk it into DVD5 using HC encoder in DVD Rebuilder is better or using the VBR 2pass in VMW?
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by danswano View Post
    if i saved the file using CBR 1 pass as DVD9 then shrunk it into DVD5 using HC encoder in DVD Rebuilder is better or using the VBR 2pass in VMW?
    Sounds like you're letting the tail wag the dog here. The idea is to get the best quality video, not simply to hit a target bitrate. Try it both ways, if you must, and see which you like better.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I just installed the TVMW5 trial myself. It is possible to specifiy the average
    bitrate exactly. I'll try an encode and see what I get.

Click image for larger version

Name:	tvmw5.jpg
Views:	406
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	22605
    Quote Quote  
  17. Yes i know but after exporting the file, media info states the bitrate as "variable" and max bitrate as "9200", while if i check other DVD media file i can see the exact used bitrate not just "variable".
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    I just installed the TVMW5 trial myself. It is possible to specifiy the average
    bitrate exactly. I'll try an encode and see what I get.
    You can also set it up an an mpeg output rather than DVD and control many other parameters manually -- but you're losing the intelligent allocation of bitrate.
    Quote Quote  
  19. This something i don't want to use cause i'm exporting the files as m2v+ac3 then remux it using ifoedit or similar tool as a standard DVD cause VMW can't do it directly.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by danswano View Post
    This something i don't want to use cause i'm exporting the files as m2v+ac3 then remux it using ifoedit or similar tool as a standard DVD cause VMW can't do it directly.
    TVMW can certainly mux m2v and ac3. Advanced Tools.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Can mux it into a specific file extension not into VIDEO_TS folder.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Originally Posted by danswano View Post
    Can mux it into a specific file extension not into VIDEO_TS folder.
    That is entirely different from your original question. Best of luck.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Originally Posted by smrpix View Post
    Originally Posted by danswano View Post
    Can mux it into a specific file extension not into VIDEO_TS folder.
    That is entirely different from your original question. Best of luck.
    No problem. i'm just replying to you and i'm fine with it , my main issue is that bitrate/size issue.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The bitrate achieved from my test encode was 5192 kbps, approx. 92.5 % of the requested bitrate (5600 kbps),
    even after setting it up as an mpeg output. It's using the standard mpeg (modified) matrix that many of these products use,
    should be OK at this average bitrate. I'll have another look at it.
    Last edited by davexnet; 7th Jan 2014 at 17:49.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Using a 2pass encoding with ConvertXToDVD always end up with a full DVD5, why not in VMW?
    Quote Quote  
  26. I've noticed the same problem with recent versions of TMPGEnc Video Mastering Works. Since changing my capturing device, I now use Avisynth + HCEnc for my SD AVI to DVD projects and VideoRedo and MultiAVCHD for my OTA HD recordings. I still often use TMPGEnc Video Mastering Works to convert aac and mp2 audio tracks to ac3 (my little surround sound system works much better with ac3 audio)
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    "Using a 2pass encoding with ConvertXToDVD always end up with a full DVD5, why not in VMW? "

different softwares , do things differently

thats like asking why a Ford mustang, doesn't look like a chevy camaro
    Last edited by theewizard; 7th Jan 2014 at 17:27.
    Quote Quote