VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sony DVP-SR200P DVD player...have tried instructions (using code 2812, etc) with no success. My DVD player is routed through Direct TV satellite service - would cable affect efforts to try to change Region Code??
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Your DirectTV has no impact at all on this.

Almost nothing sold anywhere in the world by Samsung and Sony can be made region free. This is the reality of your situation. We haven't had reports of any DVD or BluRay players sold in the USA/Canada by Sony in years that can be made region free. A very small number of Sony players in other parts of the world such as Australia may actually be able to be unlocked, but those models have different hardware than yours even if the model number is the same. If you check on any instructions you found, you'll find that the people who unlocked their players bought them in other parts of the world.

In the future if you want region free, do NOT buy Sony or Samsung. Or if you must buy one, only buy from a seller like the below who has gone to the trouble to modify the hardware (passed on to you via a higher price than the player will have in Best Buy, Amazon, etc.) so that the player can be made region free.
    http://www.220-electronics.com
    http://www.world-import.com
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    In Australia many Samsung models were capable of being region free, the local Samsung store actually gave you the code as you paid for it. The situation is somewhat schizophrenic here where one branch of government says region coding is illegal because it restricts competition whilst the actual law of the land allows it (for DVD's). At the moment you can get region free Pioneers "out of the box" and lots of Chinese no brand knock offs. Bluray is a different story altho a few mail order stores have switchable units via the remote. It's a difficult call for the government as 25% of the population were born overseas and we have so many people from the far east and the middle east who bring their collections with them and travel back and forth. Also a huge percentage of us have passports and travel frequently and bring back discs. It's pretty much a right of passage for "gap year" students to travel to Europe, Asia etc. If you live in Perth it's cheaper to fly to Bali for Xmas than Sydney.

As for SONY I don't think it was ever possible to make them region free down here..
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for your response....sorry there's no apparent solution (other than buying another brand of DVD!!?), but at least this feedback will save me many hours (and $$'s) of futile 'trial and error'!!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Pat Skees View Post
    Sony DVP-SR200P DVD player...have tried instructions (using code 2812, etc) with no success. My DVD player is routed through Direct TV satellite service - would cable affect efforts to try to change Region Code??
    Get an axe, make it quick!
    *** Now that you have read me, do some other things. ***
    Quote Quote