VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hi,

Generally speaking, do all devices which output video (game console, dvd player, blu ray player etc.) work in the same way?

Is it transport (HDMI, component etc.) specific?

For example does my PS4 HDMI say to my hdtv , here is 1080p 60 fps video data, and the hdtv does whatever it has to in order to display that?

Or is it more like the PS4 HDMI says to my HDTV, what can you do? And based upon the response the PS4 does what it needs to do to get the HDTV what it needs?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    1: Same no ... similar yes

2: Depends on device output capabilities, some are multi optional

3: Is specific, term is handshake ... exactly, the majority of tv's will display the source even if the screen isn't full 1080 capable.

4: No
    Quote Quote  
  3. It depends on how the source is set up. If the source is set to "automatic" mode it will query the sink (TV) for it's capabilities and select an output format supported by the TV. If the source is forced to a specific output format the sink will not display a picture if it doesn't support that format.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    It depends on how the source is set up. If the source is set to "automatic" mode it will query the sink (TV) for it's capabilities and select an output format supported by the TV. If the source is forced to a specific output format the sink will not display a picture if it doesn't support that format.
    What happens when you have two sinks connected through a powered HDMI splitter?
    Does the splitter act as the sink to the source, and as the source to the two connected sinks?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I use a powered HDMI splitter and it outputs to both my HDMI compliant LED monitor and a HDMI video projector at the same time. I don't think the splitter is considered a 'sink' as it's a pretty basic device.. I think the monitor and the projector are both compliant so both have a equal signal. No idea how the output devices (A PC, a BD player or a WDTV Live) see them.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    Based on Jagabo's answer, I was curious what would happen if you had a 720p tv and a 1080p tv hooked up to the splitter.

Does the source see it as two sinks and it queries both and defaults to the lowest common denominator?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by comp1mp View Post
    What happens when you have two sinks connected through a powered HDMI splitter?
    Does the splitter act as the sink to the source, and as the source to the two connected sinks?
    From the behavior I've seen I believe the splitter passes the query through to one of the devices and performs the handshake. Then the rest of the devices get the same format. If the negotiation happens with the device with higher capabilities first the second device fails to deliver a picture.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    From the behavior I've seen I believe the splitter passes the query through to one of the devices and performs the handshake. Then the rest of the devices get the same format.
    Interesting. Is HDMI backwards compatible?

Taking your belief, if I had two 1080p sinks, one HDMI 1.2 and one HDMI 1.3 and the 1.3 device was queried by the splitter, would the 1.2 device work?
    Last edited by comp1mp; 6th Jan 2014 at 11:03.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by comp1mp View Post
    From the behavior I've seen I believe the splitter passes the query through to one of the devices and performs the handshake. Then the rest of the devices get the same format.
    Interesting. Is HDMI backwards compatible?
    Yes. I suppose it's possible that a particular device might not support all the older input formats. That would be stupid on the part of the manufacturer though.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search PM
    Yes. I suppose it's possible that a particular device might not support all the older input formats. That would be stupid on the part of the manufacturer though.
    I actually meant the other way. If a 1.2 hdmi sink received a 1.3 stream, would it be able to use it.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by comp1mp View Post
    I actually meant the other way. If a 1.2 hdmi sink received a 1.3 stream, would it be able to use it.
    Not if the 1.3 source uses features that weren't a part of 1.2, DTS-HD for example.
    Quote Quote