VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello everyone,
    This is my first post here on the Videohelp forums, and I have an odd problem. I was merging 2 mkv files using mkvmerge and with the hope of quickening the process of setting up my queue (I had multiple groups of files to merge), I copied the location I intended to save the output file in windows explorer (C:\Users\...) and pasted that into the output section of mkvmerge. I never specified the name of the output file, only its location. So my question is, what happened to those files? The free space on my hard drive decreased about 7GB which is what I'd expect, but I can't find the files (which would quite literally be named ".mkv" because I didn't specifiy a name).

Here is the log from one file from mkvmerge

--- BEGIN job 271 (bb t3, added on 2014-01-05 10:27:43), started on 2014-01-05 10:52:51
    mkvmerge v5.2.0 ('I can't explain') built on Dec 18 2011 18:12:03
    'E:\to copy to dvp\breaking bad s2 converted\3\Breaking_Bad_Season_2_Disc_3_t03-1.mkv': Using the demultiplexer for the format 'Matroska'.
    'J:\Planet Earth\bb\s2e3\Breaking_Bad_Season_2_Disc_3_t03.mkv ': Using the demultiplexer for the format 'Matroska'.
    'E:\to copy to dvp\breaking bad s2 converted\3\Breaking_Bad_Season_2_Disc_3_t03-1.mkv' track 0: Using the output module for the format 'AVC/h.264'.
    'E:\to copy to dvp\breaking bad s2 converted\3\Breaking_Bad_Season_2_Disc_3_t03-1.mkv' track 1: Using the output module for the format 'AC3'.
    'J:\Planet Earth\bb\s2e3\Breaking_Bad_Season_2_Disc_3_t03.mkv ' track 1: Using the output module for the format 'DTS'.
    'J:\Planet Earth\bb\s2e3\Breaking_Bad_Season_2_Disc_3_t03.mkv ' track 3: Using the output module for the format 'PGS'.
    'J:\Planet Earth\bb\s2e3\Breaking_Bad_Season_2_Disc_3_t03.mkv ' track 4: Using the output module for the format 'PGS'.
    The file '.mkv' has been opened for writing.
    The cue entries (the index) are being written...
    Muxing took 9 minutes 3 seconds.
    --- END job 271, finished on 2014-01-05 11:02:04
    In case anyone is concerned, I own the breaking bad blu-ray discs. I was transferring them to my HTPC.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    it's where you saved it and is named .mkv i made one and it's there.

Name:  2014-01-05_152014.png
Views: 531
Size:  28.1 KB
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. EDIT: Sorry for the large images.

Well your response gave me the idea to do some tests, and I've concluded that there must be a bug with a queue system for mkvmerge. That or I am using the program incorrectly, which is more than likely.

I re-created my original scenario, where I point mkvmerge to output a file that isn't named, only its location is named. When I try to mux the video using the GUI of mkvmerge (not the queue), I instantly get an error code, as I should.

Click image for larger version

Name:	error.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	259.7 KB
ID:	22568

However, when I add that job to the queue, and then run the queue, the end user would think the file is processed normally, even after looking at the log.

Name:	successful queue.jpg
Views:	548
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	22569

--- BEGIN job 274 (test, added on 2014-01-05 15:36:42), started on 2014-01-05 15:36:49
    mkvmerge v5.2.0 ('I can't explain') built on Dec 18 2011 18:12:03
    'I:\AC3\TV\Breaking Bad\Season 3\S03E01 - No Mas.mkv': Using the demultiplexer for the format 'Matroska'.
    'I:\AC3\TV\Breaking Bad\Season 3\S03E01 - No Mas.mkv' track 0: Using the output module for the format 'AVC/h.264'.
    'I:\AC3\TV\Breaking Bad\Season 3\S03E01 - No Mas.mkv' track 1: Using the output module for the format 'AC3'.
    'I:\AC3\TV\Breaking Bad\Season 3\S03E01 - No Mas.mkv' track 2: Using the output module for the format 'VobSub'.
    The file '.mkv' has been opened for writing.
    The cue entries (the index) are being written...
    Muxing took 5 seconds.
    --- END job 274, finished on 2014-01-05 15:36:55
    Yet the file does not exist in the intended output location:

Name:	no file.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	183.5 KB
ID:	22570
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You see that error message you got about could not be opened for writing? No file was written, that's why you cannot find it.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Right, I understand that. But that does not explain why I did not receive an error message when the same job was completed through the queue, or why there was no error listed in the log for the aforementioned job.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    probably because you are using an outdated version 5.2 of mkvmerge from years ago. try the latest version 6.6
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  7. I knew this was my fault. Thanks aedipuss.
    Quote Quote