VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I downloaded the C:\Windows\SysWOW64codec zip file form this site ... I have W7 64 bit PC
    cedocida_0.2.3_bin

Carried out install instr .. (right click on inf file)

It has installled Cedocida.dll in the C:\windows\sysWow64 folder.

As VD (& avisynth) are 32bit do I also need to install a 32bit version ... if so as it has not installed it do I just add the Cedocida.dll from the zip main folder (not x64 sub folder) to C:\Windows\System32

Is there a simple way to check both 32 & 64 bit versions are installed & working OK ?
    Quote Quote  
  2. 32 bit programs require 32 bit codecs. 64 bit programs require 64 bit codecs. The two systems cannot see each other. Cedocida.dll in SysWow64 it's the 32 bit version. Cedocida.dll in System32 is the 64 bit version.

To check, start 32 bit VirtualDub and select Video -> Compression... and verify Cedocida is in the list of codecs. Do the same with 64 bit VirtualDub.

Click image for larger version

Name:	vdub.png
Views:	417
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	22559
    Quote Quote  
  3. Cedocida.dll in SysWow64 it's the 32 bit version. Cedocida.dll in System32 is the 64 bit version.

Well shows I get confused, I assumed that SysWow64 was for 64bit and System32 for 32bit ........ and it's the other way round ?

Anyway I looked in VD 32bit and it shows 3 variants, so must be installed.

Click image for larger version

Name:	compression.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	301.6 KB
ID:	22561
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by Tafflad View Post
    Well shows I get confused, I assumed that SysWow64 was for 64bit and System32 for 32bit ........ and it's the other way round ?
    Yes, the Wow64 part is short Windows (32 bit) On Windows (64 bit). I believe that Microsoft wanted to keep the same naming conventions for system folders when they went from 32 bit to 64 bit Windows. Ie, system files in 32 bit Windows went in System32, so system files in 64 bit Windows also go in System32. 32 bit programs run in a virutualized space under Windows 64 and all the 32 bit system files are stored in SysWow64 to keep the separate from the native 64 bit system files in System32. Yes, it's confusing.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thank you for the education .... only Microsoft could make things that unclear
    Quote Quote