VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,

I have some old minidv tapes and I want to convert them to h264 in mkv container. I will keep them as .avi for the future but I'm not able to play them on my mediaplayer (popcorn hour A110, or on my TV). Also I want to see the timestamp on the movie. Keep in mind that I want the best quality. I don't care about the disk/cpu usage. I've tried many software but I wasn't happy with the quality maybe because of my settings, so if someone can give me a tested tutorial I'll be grateful.

Thanks in advance!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Use ripbot264 or handbrake to convert your avi files.

Use a cq or cf with a low number to set it the bitrate really high (it won't be a target bitrate but rather quality based). The lower the cq/cf number the higher the file size will be.

Of course nothing will be better than your source (aside from filtering and what not).

Just an fyi I'd stick to the standard templates to ensure playback compatibility. Even though settop media players like a popcorn hour should have greater flexibility than a bluray player no sense in adding more complication than you have to.

As for the timestamp issue I believe you can extract the timecode info and create a subtitle file. That can be selectable of course.

However as I have very little dv avi experience I can't guide you through those steps.

Edit - https://www.videohelp.com/tools/DV-Sub-Maker

It looks more straightforward then I thought. You should be able to make a selectable timecode subtitle file with the program in the link above. Just follow the directions.

Edit 2 - apparently it's no longer updated and only makes sub files. However you should still be able to use it and there are a bunch of subtitle converter programs if you need a different format.
    Last edited by yoda313; 4th Jan 2014 at 16:00.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    timestamp as subtitle is a good idea. Popcorn has some issues with subtitle but if I can play on tv is better.

Thank you!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I installed my windows 7, 2 days ago. I used dv sub maker and produce the sub file. After that I "installed" ripbot with his requirements and after I've made a mp4 file I installed bsplayer with his requirements also. Second time when I tried to use dv sub maker I got an error: "TProgressBar property out of range"

Any idea how can I fix this error? I've tried dvdate also but this one has a lot of errors.

UPDATE: During the installation of Haali Media Splitter (required by ripbot) I've checked avi support. Don't check it and dv sub maker will works.
    Last edited by iradu; 5th Jan 2014 at 10:35.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Glad you got it going. There are plenty of ripbot guides should you have problems. And you can ask here also.

Sent from my Prism II using Tapatalk
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  6. iradu - nice explanation of your workflow

I'm encoding DV avi using QTGMC to double frame rate to progressive (50p in your case) then video looks perfect on any device, crappy TV etc., because device or player does not need to deinterlace
    Quote Quote  
  7. How did you get the AVI files in in the first place?
    I have a Canon HV30 which records 1080i onto MiniDV
    At the moment using imovie it produces 720p at best?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You are recording HDV, which is MPEG-2 transport stream. Most things play that without re-encoding.

You just need a program to make a perfect copy of what's on the tape. On windows that's HDVsplit (or others), on a Mac I have no idea.

Cheers,
    David.
    Quote Quote  
  9. On Mac, FCPX should handle HDV natively, as should Premiere Pro. Some older versions of iMovie may, but it's very ambiguous.
    Quote Quote