VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I don't want to burn the Blu-Ray, but instead it would be playback on my computer. Would it possible to convert DVDs to 1080p Blu-Ray? If the answer is yes it's possible, would there be any tutorials for converting DVDs to 1080p Blu-Ray?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Yes, it's possible to upscale. But you won't get real 1080p detail. Ie, it will not look like a real HD Blu-ray release. The best you can hope for is a bigger picture that's a little sharper without too many aliasing artifacts. You can usually get pretty good results with animated material. But not so much with real world video.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    There is no benefit to doing this. And possible degradation of the video as you convert and upscale it. A straight rip of the DVD will be better and will play correctly from your computer.

You do realize that commercial DVDs are almost always fully compliant to Blu-ray specifications without having to be converted? The resolution will still be standard definition from the DVD, but it can be placed within a Blu-ray video structure. BD Rebuilder can do this.

But to answer your question, yes it is possible to make a crappy 1080p copy of your DVD and run it through a Blu-ray authoring program.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you to both of you!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    imho, from my own experience, i would not say dvd->bluray is crappy, but does depend on the source media and how it was processed, quality-wise, to dvd in the first place that will determine the best quality aspects when going from dvd to bluray output. also, the dvd player matter too. one with an 1080p upscaler will also help. but i did not say it will turn a dvd to bluray, just that the quality apsects of playback will be very good, imho, baring in mind the above.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Here's an example of a cartoon:

Original DVD:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	sd.jpg
Views:	553
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	22505

What your typical upscaling player might look like:

Name:	upscaled1.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	158.0 KB
ID:	22506

What a good software upscaled video might look like:

Name:	upscaled2.jpg
Views:	342
Size:	168.2 KB
ID:	22507

The first image was filtered and upscaled with LanczosResize() in AviSynth. The second upscaled image was upscaled with a few passes of nnedi3_rpow2(), aWarpSharp2(), Sharpen(), and Toon().
    Quote Quote