VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Just installed my PVR 2....after using the original PVR for about 6 years ( it died ).

I have the DVR hooked by Component for now. All is good for most stuff. But when I go to some channels, like HBO, it get the message telling me that it won't record using HDMI and that I need to disconnect and reconnect using Component cables. Well, that is the way it already is connected.

Any ideas?
    Quote Quote  
  2. The newer model must be responding to the CGMS-A signal. Screw them -- get an HDCP stripper and record via HDMI. They cost little as US$25.

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/334145-HDCP-strippers
    http://www.amazon.com/CVID-BG-520-splitter-switcher-XBOX360/dp/B0089DSLMY/

They aren't advertized as "HDCP strippers" as that would be illegal in the USA.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Got one on the way, maybe tomorrow or Friday. But I think this is odd. It's telling me to do what I already have done.
    Quote Quote  
  4. It's probably just their "generic" copy protection message.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Well, I have a black screen with that info. If I change to Hallmark, all is good. Go to HBO or some others, the black screen and message is back.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Only certain channels set the CGMS+A "don't record" signal.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Oh. Did not know that.
    Quote Quote  
  8. That did not happen with the old PVR. Was that one different regarding HDCP?
    Quote Quote  
  9. The old HD PVR ignored the CGMS-A flags. It looks like Hollywood caught up to them and forced them to add it to the HD PVR 2.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    The old HD PVR ignored the CGMS-A flags. It looks like Hollywood caught up to them and forced them to add it to the HD PVR 2.
    With HDMI is always on you can't get round that problem with premium channel like HBO, even some 1st run on reg channel are a problem as well, I have HD PVR 2 and DirecTV but Component should work how ever I don't have HBO channel and far I know of CGMS-A is not sent over Component, I do record from the movie channel like Encore, SonyHD and etc but I never any message nor black with Component.
    larryw what is the model number of the HD-PVR 2 you have?.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Mine is the model 1512.

Again, no HDMI hooked to the PVR2, only component cables. HDMI goes to the tv. It displays fine on tv. But in the WinTV or HD Capture software, I get black screen with that message on it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by larryw View Post
    Mine is the model 1512.

Again, no HDMI hooked to the PVR2, only component cables. HDMI goes to the tv. It displays fine on tv. But in the WinTV or HD Capture software, I get black screen with that message on it.
    larryw,

I get the same with DirecTV HD DVR and Colossus.
    You need to disconnect HDMI cable from DTV HD DVR and you will be able to record with PVR2 via component.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Thanks, I had not tried that. Disconnect the HDMI from back of DirecTV, leave component from there to HDPVR - right?

Have you tried the HDMI splitter to remove the HDCP? Would that be HDMI -> splitter -> PVR -> TV (using PVR2 passthrough) or disregard the passthrough and use the secondary output of the splitter for the TV connection?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Thanks, I had not tried that. Disconnect the HDMI from back of DirecTV, leave component from there to HDPVR - right?
    Yes! Disconnect the HDMI cable from back of DirecTV DVR, leave component from DirecTV DVR to HDPVR.

Have you tried the HDMI splitter to remove the HDCP? Would that be HDMI -> splitter -> PVR -> TV (using PVR2 passthrough) or disregard the passthrough and use the secondary output of the splitter for the TV connection?
    I have couple HDMI splitters, but I don't think they strip HDCP, so I just use component cables from DTV HD DVR to Colossus.
    Last edited by MozartMan; 2nd Jan 2014 at 15:16.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    That right you can still used the HDMI output on back of HD-PVR for Real-time preview
    Quote Quote  
  16. So you don't connect to a TV, or will the HDMI out still send to a TV while using the component input?

Additionally, the component connector set has to black inputs, unmarked, for audio. How do you know which is left and which is right?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    So you don't connect to a TV, or will the HDMI out still send to a TV while using the component input?

Additionally, the component connector set has to black inputs, unmarked, for audio. How do you know which is left and which is right?
    It no diff then if you where hook up a PS3.
    The HDMI out still send to a TV while you are using the component input.
    Look at Plug there color code on the inside
    Last edited by SHS; 2nd Jan 2014 at 16:47.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Success!!!! Got my HDMI splitter today, and the AV adapter for S-video. Plugged it all up and am recording from HDMI from DirecTV, HBO. Tried other channels too.

Finally. Thanks to all here. Now I just need someone to direct me on where to get help on deinterlacing video.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by SHS View Post
    So you don't connect to a TV, or will the HDMI out still send to a TV while using the component input?

It no diff then if you where hook up a PS3.
    The HDMI out still send to a TV while you are using the component input.
    Look at Plug there color code on the inside
    No color code, but now I don't need it since HDMI is working. Thanks though.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Now I just need someone to direct me on where to get help on deinterlacing video.
    Why do you need that?
    Quote Quote  
  21. I need that for the VHS tapes that are converted. Sometimes I get the interlace scan lines on those. At least I did using the original PVR. Maybe I won't need it now. Do you have experience with the S-video or comPOSITE input with the PVR 2?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I've never used S-video or Composite with my original HD PVR and Colossus that I have now. I only record HD video.
    You don't need to deinterlace. If you do that to HD (1080i to 1080p) you will lose resolution.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I need that for the VHS tapes that are converted. Sometimes I get the interlace scan lines on those. At least I did using the original PVR. Maybe I won't need it now. Do you have experience with the S-video or comPOSITE input with the PVR 2?
    Sorry it doesn't work that way KEEP mind that most problem are causes by the decoder you use which doesn't do auto interlace right or not at all, So you will was get interlace scan lines with 480i/1080i best to thing to convert in 480p/1080p by deinterlace.
    S-video or composite work just fine I have few clip here
    http://www.shspvr.com/reviews/hd_pvr_2/hd_pvr_2.html
    Quote Quote  
  24. Ok. Now I can't find any scheduler to make this record at specific times.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Ok. Now I can't find any scheduler to make this record at specific times.
    WinTV 7 come with it build in right click in the TV window and you use Titantv here the Setup Instructions or look at one of the other 3rdparty PVR apps like NextPVR, SageTV, MediaPortal and JRiver Media Center.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Thanks! Now, I am up to speed again. It is sad that hardware vendors no longer provide "owner's manuals" like in the old days. Most of this type info is found either by trial and error, or from good people willing to share what they have found.

Thanks for the help - it really is appreciated!

And, so far, I am really impressed with the HD PVR 2. I was pretty happy with the original PVR.....but wished it had better software and HDMI..........now I have both!

Does anyone know if Pinnacle Studio HD will capture from the PVR2?
    Quote Quote