VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Can someone recommend to me a good Region Free Blu-Ray Player in Australia? Needs to be able to play mp4 & mkv as well. If it's a Recorder that's ok too?

And don't mention Laser!!!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by magnu View Post
    Can someone recommend to me a good Region Free Blu-Ray Player in Australia?
    Blu Ray discs have zones.
    DVD discs have regions.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm talking about a Blu-Ray player that will play DVDs from any region.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Being in Oz, you shouldn't have too much trouble finding a BD player that can do Region Free for DVD.
    Just check local reviews of locally available BluRay players. The rest of the World doesn't seem to be quite so lucky in that regard.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    DVD discs have regions.
    The BDA calls them regions just the same as DVD: http://www.blu-raydisc.com/en/technical/faqs/blu-raydiscforvideo.aspx
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by magnu View Post
    I'm talking about a Blu-Ray player that will play DVDs from any region.
    Heaps available but check out JBHiFi for the Pioneer BD160 region free out of the box for DVD's and does 3D. Kogans have/had units that can switch between Bluray zones as well as DVD region free out of the box. I have a BD150 Pioneer and performs flawlessly altho' I must admit I play most movies off my network. I also have a Soniq, doesn't do 3D but you can switch Bluray zones effortlessly.

The other option is if you are in Sydney explore Chinatown in the Haymarket for all sorts of electronic goodies.... Don't bother with the major chain's like DJ's or Myer's etc as they tend to only sell locked down models

Expect to pay around a$130 for the Pioneer but sometimes they will be on special. If you really want to import a unit from wherever currently there is no duty or GST on imports under a$1,000 but that is likely to change in the Federal May budget. The Abbott government is money hungry so the budget is going to have a few nasty surprises.
    TheVoiceIsAnotherPerson ~ BeyonWiz DP-P1 PVR + LiDiC ~ Popcorn C200 ~ Samsung ES8000 65" LED TV ~ Windows 7 ~ Yamaha RX-A1030
    Quote Quote  
  7. Is the Pioneer this one http://www.pioneer.com.au/au/products/BDP-160-K/print.html? If it is this one it looks wonderful, as it also plays SACD! I'm in Perth so going to Chinatown is out of the question.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yes that's it - JbHiFi will have them and just make sure you specify region free out of the box. A technophobe friend just bought one and had no problems setting it up. I think this model has wifi built in but not sure.

http://www.jbhifionline.com.au/home%20theatre/blu-ray%20player/pioneer-bdp-160-network...-player/691255

Gone up to a$148 plus a$10 shipping It looks like your local WA stores don't have it so you would have to order on line from Sydney. It's worth trying a local store as you can try beating them down a tad.
    Last edited by netmask56; 1st Jan 2014 at 22:43.
    TheVoiceIsAnotherPerson ~ BeyonWiz DP-P1 PVR + LiDiC ~ Popcorn C200 ~ Samsung ES8000 65" LED TV ~ Windows 7 ~ Yamaha RX-A1030
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by vaporeon800 View Post
    Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    DVD discs have regions.
    The BDA calls them regions just the same as DVD: http://www.blu-raydisc.com/en/technical/faqs/blu-raydiscforvideo.aspx

AH yes. I keep forgetting I no longer live in a native English speaking country.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Just buy a blu-ray player that plays mkv and mp4,most if not all will play these files in 25fps and 23.976 or any frame rate in respect.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  11. But I have a lot of UK DVD's that won't play on Region 4 machines! Haven't you read the first post, johns0?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I read your first post,you want to play mkv and mp4 so just convert your dvds to that format and they will play with no issues.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  13. I asked about a Region Free player that will also play these format.
    Quote Quote  
  14. I went to one JBHiFi in Joondalup & the chap there confirmed the Pioneer is region free for DVDs. They didnd't have any in stock but he told me Whitfords branch (10 mins drive) had 24. I went there & was approached by a salesman whom I had just heard tell someone else that Kogan was a crook who had run dodgy businesses before? He told me that the Pioneer was not region free & that if I bought it he would not offer a refund under that case. His manner towards me was very rude I thought, & he went on to tell me that there was no such thing as a Blu-Ray player that will play any DVDs. When I pointed out that sites on the web told me this machine is region free, & that the web tells us there are plenty out there, he told me not to believe everything I read on the net!

Anyway, I bought it & it IS region free! The moral of the story is don't believe anything a salesperson tells you!
    Quote Quote  
  15. That's only for watching videos via a PC.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'm surprised JBHiFi didn't offer to ship one from Sydney or Melbourne but they are all individual franchises. As you would probably know the law in Oz is split, the ACCC says region coding is illegal due to anti competitive nature of the practice whilst Commonwealth law allows its. Anyway you got one. Kogan's has had a few ups and downs, he imports stuff directly in container load from China hence the low prices. Some lemons but quite a few gems.
    Quote Quote