VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi folks, Any help is much appreciated.

I use a usb stick to watch videos on my TV that I have downloaded. Normally MKV, AVI files.
    MY Dads TV only accepts Mpeg 1 & 2. The problem is I convert the videos for him but mpeg 1 file quality is terrible and Mpeg 2 files covert to 4gb+ and for some reason when I ty to put them onto a 8gb stick a message appears that the file is to big? What am I missing? Would I need a bigger stick 32gb+ maybe or will I have the same problem?
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Your usb stick is probably formatted as a fat32 partition and it has a 4gb file limit.

You could try reformat it as a ntfs drive. Right click on it in windows file explorer and choose format and select NTFS. Everything will be deleted. Copy the mpeg2 file and see if your tvs supports NTFS...but many does not.

Or cut your big mpeg2 files with for example mpg2cut2.
    Quote Quote  
  3. XP at least, won't format thumb drives as NTFS without some fiddling around.

http://www.online-tech-tips.com/computer-tips/format-usb-ntfs/

Sometimes after changing the performance option I think a reboot is required before you can format using NTFS. Once it's done, I change the performance option back to "quick removal".
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    In windows 7 it works as I described. I haven't tested windows 8+.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Most TVs will not recognise NTSF format especially older TVs that only play mpeg files.

If your mpeg is under 8 gigs, split it into 2 files. If larger then get a bigger stick and split them into 4 gig files.

Some TVs will play them sequentially.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    [QUOTE=ianmc;2291907... Mpeg 2 files covert to 4gb+ ...[/QUOTE]

I don't know what you're using, but you should have some control over file size. In the future make them <4Gb. This seems easier to me than reformatting usb drives to ntfs.

If your present converter doesn't give you bit rate or file size options use another one. I find it hard to believe your encoder can't do this but there are some bad ones out there.

With your current ones, as mentioned, use an mpeg splitter.
    Quote Quote