VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hi,

I have pretty much always used Encore for all my authoring needs, but I am not crazy about it. I really like to use this guide to add subtitles to my DVD's:

http://puu.sh/3AbeQ

It involves using stuff like voblanker, muxman, maestroSBT. The subs really come out looking great. My question is, would it be possible to follow this guide and then insert my own custom made menus from photoshop, and somehow place them into the project. These would have new buttons and commands. The only reason I ask is because I like the ability that this subtitling method provides with sub placement and timings. It really lets you do a lot that other applications don't.

Thanks!

h
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by hizzy7 View Post
    My question is, would it be possible to follow this guide and then insert my own custom made menus from photoshop, and somehow place them into the project.
    No, because the free version of Muxman doesn't have any menu-making abilities.

Have you had any experience with DVD authoring programs that do allow you to import your home-made menu backgrounds? If so, make a 'dummy' DVD with your menus and then later do the 'Replace' thing in VobBlanker, replacing your 'dummy' video with the 'real' one with the subs you want.

I do this quite often using DVDAuthorGUI. I use a short song video as the 'dummy'. The important thing is to create as many chapters as are in the 'real' video you made using Muxman. So, make a short DVD with the right amount of chapters. Then later on you can replace using either PGCEdit or VobBlanker. It's important to also 'turn on' the subs using PGCEdit as the 'dummy' DVD doesn't have subs and none will be seen in the final DVD unless the IFOs are updated.

And I agree that by using MaestroSBT you can make very good-looking subtitles.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Hi Manono,

I do have experience with authoring programs, mainly encore, but encore's subs are god awful. Are there any authoring programs that can use the files generated by MaestroSBT? I'm thinking scenarist would be one.

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Yes, Scenarist is one. But, as far as I know, Scenarist and Muxman are the only two authoring programs that will accept SST subs. I believe DVDLab accepts SON files which MaestroSBT can also make.

But my suggestion is to use an authoring program with which you're familiar (DVDAUthorGUI for me, Encore for you) to make the 'dummy' DVD with a short video. Then take the DVD you authored in Encore with the menus and bad subs and replace the Encore video with the Muxman one using VobBlanker or PGCEdit. By authoring with Encore and making its bad subs at the same time, the subs will be recognized after being replaced with the better-quality Muxman subs.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Will I be able to activate buttons on my custom made menus to link to subs, chapters, etc?

Thanks!!!
    Quote Quote  
  6. If you make a working DVD using Encore with something short as a 'stand-in' for the 'real' video you'll substitute in later on, the menus will still work after replacing the 'dummy' video with the Muxman authored one. But that's one reason I suggested having the same number of chapters for both - so everything works as it's supposed to. I use a short music video as the 'dummy', so the authoring goes quickly. There's nothing to prevent you from using the 'real' video in Encore, along with the funky subs it makes. When done you'll be replacing the 'stand-in' video and funky subs with the Muxman authored one and the good subs.

What kinds of subs does Encore accept as input? Anything good? If, for example, it accepts SUP files or even VobSubs (IDX/SUB), you could first make the Muxman one and then demux the subs for use in Encore. Most kinds of graphic subtitle files can be output from MaestroSBT, or converted using MaestroSBT's output as a source.
    Last edited by manono; 30th Dec 2013 at 20:27.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    Encore takes txt & FAB image scripts as input. Encore sucks at subs. It distorts them terribly.

A question about muxman - for subtitle streams, it asks for LB & wide, so I guess I need to make two sst files in MaestroSBT? Usually for my custom DVD's, I make two different colored sub streams, one white and one yellow. When using muxman, I guess I will be needing 4 sst files, White LB, White Wide, Yellow LB & Yellow Wide?

Thanks! You are a genius!
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by hizzy7 View Post
    A question about muxman - for subtitle streams, it asks for LB & wide, so I guess I need to make two sst files in MaestroSBT? Usually for my custom DVD's,
    In that guide to which you linked, he made 2 sets, one for 4:3 TVs and one for 16:9 TVs. I do the same. However, many, if not most, retail DVDs use the same subs for both, and you can use the same for both (loading the same ones twice, once for Wide and then again for LB), particularly if you'll be watching them only on a 16:9 TV set. Up to you, but making them for both requires only a little bit more work.
    When using muxman, I guess I will be needing 4 sst files, White LB, White Wide, Yellow LB & Yellow Wide?
    Nah, one for Wide and another for LB will be fine. Then load them for track 1, Wide and LB, and again for Track 2, Wide and LB. The displayed colors are set in the IFOs later on and have nothing to do with the colors in the BMPs (yellow isn't one of the five colors allowed for the BMPs in MaestroSBT). You can 'fix' them in DVDSubEdit or PGCEdit afterwards. I could be wrong about some of that, though, as I've never made two sets of subs using different colors. Light grey/dark grey/black are good enough for me.
    Thanks! You are a genius!
    You're welcome, but genius has nothing to do with it. It's just that I've done this more times than I'd care to admit.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    It works great!

If I can ask, what are your favorite subtitle settings in MaestroSBT?

Everything has worked out great! Thanks for your help!

As an aside, do you have any experience with Scenarist? Do you think it's learn-able? I really would like to learn how to do this the "real" way. lol

Thank you again!
    Quote Quote  
  10. Nope, never used Scenarist. It's too daunting and I have no need for it anyway. Have you ever seen Doom9's guide for its use?

http://www.doom9.org/mpg/scenarist.htm

And Muxman is every bit as good as Scenarist, but you'll need the Pro version if you want menus.

My favorite MaestroSBT subtitle settings? I don't know, the ones that work. That guide to which you linked is pretty good, except I don't like the font he uses as it'll make subs way too 'fat' on a 16:9 video, but fonts are subjective as to which ones appeal to which people. Also, he uses 30 for left and right margins which would create a third line for many of my subs. I let mine go much closer to the edges.

Good going on having success with your project!
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search PM
    I am curious - Have you ever tried Muxman pro? Can I import photo-shopped menus into muxman pro? I am so impressed by the demo version!

Thanks again!
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by hizzy7 View Post
    Have you ever tried Muxman pro?
    No.
    Can I import photo-shopped menus into muxman pro?
    I don't know why not. Most authoring programs will allow the import of your menu creations, either as BMPs or M2V video. I make my own menu backgrounds for the freebie DVDAUthorGUI.
    Quote Quote