VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    i bought a portable dvd player online as i couldn't find any i liked in the stores. But it wont play any dvds because its region 1 & i need region 4 (or region 0). I have tried the hack previously posted, but its not working. Any help would be appreciated.

Model PD9012/37
    Verson 20100101
    Ver PD9012Q_37_v3.65
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    You're screwed. You should not have bought a region 1 player. Usually portables can't be unlocked - ever. Years ago when it was briefly easy to find unlockable players in the USA and Canada, Philips did make a portable or two that actually could be unlocked, which was unusual because usually it's impossible to unlock them. I'd guess that they have probably updated the firmware and broken the unlock codes that used to work.

If you had bought this in Australia or New Zealand you could ask your country's Philips office to unlock it for you. Aussies and Kiwis can sometimes (but not always) get manufacturers to agree to unlock their players, so it's worth a try. But you bought this from region 1 (USA/Canada) so Philips Australia has no obligation at all to unlock it for you. I suppose you could ask, but it probably won't work.

For the future, do NOT buy players from the USA/Canada if you need region free. The situation here is pretty grim and we have the fewest players that can be unlocked. In the rest of the world it's almost impossible to find a Philips player that can't be unlocked, but in region 1 you have to search carefully for Philips players that still can be unlocked.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    ok. Damn. Is it possible to burn movies from my hard drive onto dvd that have no region? I am really clueless with computers & computer related stuff..
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Home burned backup DVDs are region free.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Still not working with burnt dvds, beginning to think the device its self doesn't work. Thanks for your help anyway.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    It may also be video format locked as well. Your burned DVD are region free, but they are also(still) PAL format. Now you know what Americans go through unfortunately.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by joalina87 View Post
    Still not working with burnt dvds, beginning to think the device its self doesn't work. Thanks for your help anyway.
    it says here - http://www.amazon.com/Philips-PD9012-37-9-Inch-Portable/dp/B003ES54BU that this player
    is already region free. and is compatible with MOST dvd/cd formats. you may have a defective unit.
    Last edited by october262; 31st Dec 2013 at 04:34.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I have bought various Philips players for years and I have NEVER (cannot emphasize that word enough) heard of ANY Philips player that shipped region free out of the box. They do make players now in North America that cannot be unlocked. Some can. Some can't. But you ALWAYS have to enter a code manually to unlock them. Just because some blurb on Amazon claims it's region free does not necessarily mean it is, but it could be that that particular seller really has a batch that can be unlocked (may be on older firmware, which I mentioned earlier) and they just unlocked them so they really are ready to go. One cannot conclude conclusively from this single line in an Amazon write-up that joalina87's player can with 100% certainty be unlocked or that it is defective. Those things MAY be true, but they also may not be.

People who live outside of the USA/Canada should NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES buy DVD or BD players in the USA/Canada and bring them to other countries with the expectation that they can for sure be unlocked.
    Quote Quote