VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. OK, I'm new here and I generally don't post in forums until I feel I've read everything I can find and tried every possible avenue first. Here is the deal, basically I'm just trying to make some bluray disks of 720p MKV tv episodes, so I can get them off my hard drive. I actually tried many programs DVDfab, leawoo, sothink and all seem to have one problem or another.

After trying all these programs I came across Sothink HD movie maker, and honestly I really like how it seems to work. I can fit like 18 <30min episodes on 1 BDR at 1280x720 and they look great still! The disks play AWESOME in power dvd on the computer but they completely fail to run in any Bluray player. I tried a sony (1100) and a LG (bp330), which both list reading BDR/RE media. Instead of playing though, they pretty much cause the players to just straight lock up. I have to power them down or unplug them just to get the disk out!

My next step was to make sure it wasn't a problem with my blank disks. I'm using Ridata BDR disks, burned in a Liteon iHBS112 BluRay burner. So I decided to make a disk in DVDfab but even when I set it for 2 pass the videos come out all pixilated like crazy and very low resolution in powerdvd. It plays the exact same in the LG bluray player though, so that would seem to indicate to me that my disks are fine. So this must mean dvdfab is just a really crummy encoder and sothink must be screwing up the disk format somehow. I can't seem to find anything that looks wrong. The structure looks good, BDMV and cert folder. I even ripped a whole copy of the disk to a flash drive and plugged in it, the m2ts files play fine when I run them from usb.

I would really love to just use sothink, since it's about the simplest tool for what I'm going for but the fact that it wont play in regular players is sort of a deal breaker. I've tried running the disk image through rebuilder, messing with the certificate folders and burning different UDF modes in IMGburn and all I got is a pile of disks that crash players but run great on computers! Ugh!!
    Anyone seen this before or know of a relatively painless program for a task like this??? I've seen mention of AVCHD but yeah, definitely not on the user friendly side. Heeelp!
    Last edited by knightmire; 29th Dec 2013 at 06:08.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I would try bdtoavchd or bdrebuilder. Both can make bluray from mkvs. Or have you already tried them and failed?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search PM
    bdrebuilder can do it. I have done it many times. Even get a menu and you can add custom background to menu
    Quote Quote  
  4. Hmm, I haven't tried to make a disk from scratch in rebuilder yet. I suppose I'll have to figure out how that works. I'll mess with it a little bit now thanks! As far as the other recommendation for bdtoavchd, doesn't that format cut down the types of players that can run the disk? Maybe I'm just misinformed, are all burned bd's of this type avchd?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search PM
    If you stick to strict AVCHD settings it shouldn't be an issue.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Alright, looks like BDrebuilder did the trick. It's a "simple-as-can-be" text based menu so I surely do miss the cool customizable menu system with video samples that the sothink software would make. But, since it's pretty much useless when the disks won't run on a player; BDrebuild it is!

For now at least, unless someone finds a better program out there. I might try out the VSO BRcreator software just so I can say I've pretty much tried them all
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search PM
    Stick with BDrebuilder and you should be fine.
    "simple-as-can-be" text based menu
    Should look at all the hidden options
    Quote Quote  
  8. Hidden options? Where might they be hidden?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Banned
    Search PM
    HIDDENOPTS.txt within the BD_RB directory explains all the documented hidden options. They would be entered in the BDREBUILDER.ini file under the OPTIONS section
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by knightmire View Post
    Alright, looks like BDrebuilder did the trick. It's a "simple-as-can-be" text based menu so I surely do miss the cool customizable menu system with video samples that the sothink software would make. But, since it's pretty much useless when the disks won't run on a player; BDrebuild it is!

For now at least, unless someone finds a better program out there. I might try out the VSO BRcreator software just so I can say I've pretty much tried them all
    VSO has a Blu-ray creator?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Well sort of, I'm playing with it now but it seems like they didn't bother to add any bluray menu options unless you are converting one to dvd. I was hoping to at least convert all the bad disks I made with sothink into working disks. I can live with losing the bluray menu if I can at least chapter skip to get to each episode. Beats having to do all the reencoding again. It's decent software but it's only letting me do 10 minutes so I'm guessing its a trial limit. Bummer.

http://www.vso-software.fr/products/bluray-converter/bluray-converter.php
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What about AVCHDCoder? Is there a reason why that one hasn't been suggested? I'm also looking at trying these products and wondering about the pros/cons of each. Thanks...
    Quote Quote  
  13. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by rowkc View Post
    What about AVCHDCoder? Is there a reason why that one hasn't been suggested? I'm also looking at trying these products and wondering about the pros/cons of each. Thanks...
    It hasn't been updated in several years now...

okey. it has been updated but NOONE has reported it to the site. Updating it now.
    Last edited by Baldrick; 6th Jan 2014 at 17:57.
    Quote Quote  
  14. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Try multiavchd,i use it anytime i need to author mkv to blu-ray.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Nice suggestions guys! I've actually gotten pretty handy with BDrebuilder though. Just make a nice background that plays well with how the text is going to be presented and all you really lose is the mini video samples (from the software I originally mentioned). It's not a big loss and it works way better when you have a lot of entries (like for example tv show seasons), since you can have 30 items right there on the front page it makes it way better then flipping through menus. Also, this software is waaaay better at dealing with chapters and subs then the others I tried.
    Honestly though, I havent tried either of the AVCHD software yet. Back when I was looking at BR players I noticed there are a lot of them that don't mention AVCHD on their compatible chart even when they do have BD-R/RE, so for compatibility sake I've just stuck with standard BR formats.

EDIT: I looked into avchdcoder. Looks like it says it can do standard BD format. I looked at all their site and screenshots. The little preloader video thing is cool but they didn't even show what a sample menu might look like after that. Don't really want to author a whole disk to find a useless menu situation. Anyone got a menu screenshot from this program? Since im mostly interested in tv eps on disk it'd be nice if it supports either editing menus, multiple pages, lots of links per menu page, or something like that.
    Last edited by knightmire; 6th Jan 2014 at 22:16.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    Try multiavchd,i use it anytime i need to author mkv to blu-ray.
    I would love to try out multiAVCHD, but I have yet to find a valid/uncorrupted installation file to download.
    Quote Quote  
  17. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You might have a virus in your computer if downloaded files are corrupt.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    While a virus is always a possibility, I'm pretty sure my system is clean. No other evidence of any virus or malware, scans are clean, system performance is good, no unexplained behavior.

Try downloading any of the sources of multiAVCHD and see if it runs. One source from the author's website set off alarms so I didn't even try it. The one from this site (videohelp) gives an NSIS error.

If you know of a good source I'd like to know it!
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    See this thread also.
    Quote Quote