VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I currently have 20-30 football games on my web site for the coaches and players. The games files are in a flv format. Currently they are not able to be viewed on any Apple device, not sure why? The quality is so so...

I'm really kinda new to this all. We are in the country download speed are not very high 1.5-3 Mbps.

I would like to know how to improve quality and able to to display on all devices.

Looking for Ideas?

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. Host your files on YouTube or Vimeo or similar. One of the benefits of these sites is they tailor the stream to the device.

You can embed the player in your own site and, in the case of vimeo plus, make it accessible only through your site.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    These videos need to be secured. And only authorized people can view them. That's why i never thought of u tube.

I'll check out the other. Thank you

A starting point.
    Quote Quote  
  4. What player are you using in that website? Jwplayer is universal, it renders output (flash or html5) depending on device/browser that user uses while watching.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by JeffH13 View Post
    These videos need to be secured. And only authorized people can view them.
    You can make them unlisted on YouTube so only people to whom you've given the link can view them. You can also make them private so only people whose names or email addresses you've provided can view them.
    Quote Quote  
  6. And on Vimeo you can password protect your vids and only give password to those you want.
    Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence -Carl Sagan
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for all your answers...

I currently use DVDVideoSoft players. I started using there Video to Flash Convertor. Then I was able to convert from my video software to create a .flv file. And kept on using there player.

I did recently upgraded to the new version. But no change.

I don't know it make a difference but the flash file format is 1280x720, 2.5Mbit/s; MP3, 256Kbits, 44.1khz, Stereo.

I guess my main goal is have the video available to pc and apple. Currently I can view on my Android phone and pc but not any Apple device.

Still looking for idea's...

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  8. Apple (the corporation) hates flash. They won't allow you to play flv on an apple device natively.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Apple doesn't support FLV format. (whoops, smr beat me).

You will have to use an H.264 codec to play everywhere.

Transcoded FLV's are very poor quality. Did you keep the original media?
    Last edited by budwzr; 2nd Jan 2014 at 20:57.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yep, they don't support flash. Frankly I'm surprised it took 8 posts to get to that. Usually it's much quicker.

I don't think it's so much that apple hates flash as they hate apple users using non apple services, so they make it as difficult as possible.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So Hoser Rob,

I need to look at this problem total different. So what format is the best picture, fastest to download, and most control of video. Here is a list of controls I would like: slow motion, 5 second forward-backwards, full screen, timer.

I will look at all idea's fully...

Thanks for your help.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by JeffH13 View Post
    Here is a list of controls I would like: slow motion, 5 second forward-backwards, full screen, timer.
    That's a very ambitious list of features, especially when you combine it with cross-platform compatibility. You may want to look into something like the Adobe Edge products -- essentially an HTML5 version of flash.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by JeffH13 View Post
    So Hoser Rob,

I need to look at this problem total different. So what format is the best picture, fastest to download, and most control of video. Here is a list of controls I would like: slow motion, 5 second forward-backwards, full screen, timer.

I will look at all idea's fully...

Thanks for your help.
    1. Encode mp4 with H.264 and AAC inside, easy profile, no more than 3 ref frames. Nobody can specify that for you because it depends, usually you should have low quality stream (no CABAC, baseline, SD resolution) and high quality stream to satisfy all, but you say it will be private circle, so you might be good only with one high quality stream

2. Then you have to have player - built in your web site - that will render video depending on device. If there is device like tablet, Android, or Apple device it will render HTML5, if there is device that can handle only fash (older PC browsers), it will render flash. You can design that player or you use one that is already designed (like jwplayer).

3. Optional. If you have dynamic website, you update very often, you need implement all of this into joomla or wordpress, where after creating projects you just literaly add videos or text and those platforms generate html for you. That brings you troubles at the beginning, to make it work, design it, because those platforms have to be compatible with your player. (plugins or custom codes) but then updates can be done by anybody or even automatically update website.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    WOW..

Thanks _AL_

There is a lot there I have no idea what your say. Let me look into a couple of the things you talk about. I hope I can ask more questions in the future on this from you.

Thanks...

Sounds like your the man....
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Hoser Rob View Post
    Yep, they don't support flash. Frankly I'm surprised it took 8 posts to get to that. Usually it's much quicker.

I don't think it's so much that apple hates flash as they hate apple users using non apple services, so they make it as difficult as possible.
    Or they just don't want to pay any license fee to Adobe, and they could care less what the users want.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok... I'm having some success...

I'm able to view on my IPad and Chrome, but Firefox version 26.0 and IE 11.0.9600.16476 the menu's come up but no video. I just started with some test menu's. On Chrome and IPad everything works fine..

Here are my video settings:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Format.JPG
Views:	220
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	22560

Here is my test code for website:
    HTML Code:
    <!DOCTYPE html> <html> <body> 
    <div style="text-align:center">   <button onClick="playPause()">Play/Pause</button>   <button onClick="makeBig()">Big</button>  <button onClick="makeSmall()">Small</button>  <button onClick="makeNormal()">Normal</button>  <br>   <video id="video1" controls="controls">    <source src="movie.mp4" type="video/mp4">    <source src="movie.ogg" type="video/ogg">  </video></div> 
    <script> var myVideo=document.getElementById("video1"); 
    function playPause() { if (myVideo.paused) myVideo.play(); else myVideo.pause(); } 
    function makeBig() {myVideo.width=1024;} 
    function makeSmall() {myVideo.width=420;} 
    function makeNormal() {myVideo.width=720;} 
    function checkMedCont() {alert("Controller: " + myVid.controller);} </script> 
    </body> </html>
    Here is my test site: http://owblackhawkfootball.com/temp/test.html

Looking for idea's what I might be missing.

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  17. Here's what I get on Firefox 25.0.1: "No video with supported mime type found"

I stopped streaming vids from our websites years ago. Just upload to Vimeo or other video streaming site and be done with it. Like I said in previous post you can give permission to those you want to see those videos or you can embed the videos so that it looks like it's coming from your website if you want.
    Quote Quote  
  18. FWIW, on my ipad the picture is always small no matter which setting I choose -- though the black bars on the sides get bigger. If I go to full screen I lose your start/pause buttons -- though I have normal full control with ipad's built-in player.

Just round out a few rough edges, get it to run on the other 68% of the browsers and you'll have invented yourself a nice wheel there.

If this is a coding exercise for yourself, all power to you. But if you're trying to deliver a product there are better, simpler ways to go about it.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    TreeTops.

I can't put video on any other site but our own. These are the rules I need to work under.

smrpix.

With the rules like I stated to Treetops, How would you go about it.

Thanks for your help
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by JeffH13 View Post
    TreeTops.

I can't put video on any other site but our own. These are the rules I need to work under.

smrpix.

With the rules like I stated to Treetops, How would you go about it.

Thanks for your help
    I would put it on vimeo, set privacy so it can only be accessed through your URL, and embed it in a page on your site. You aren't putting it "on vimeo" you're hosting it on their server.

If your clients find that unacceptable they can hire someone with the skills to help you meet their specifications. They need releases from the athletes in either case if that's the issue.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks.

This is all volunteer work. So there is no money.

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    For what it's worth, it works perfectly on my Apple Mac Pro using Safari Version 7.0.1 (9537.73.11)
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    crjackson...

Thanks

Still trying to figure out why not on IE and Firefox. Still working on it.
    Quote Quote  
  24. -try to modify your .htaccess file on your server add this line there:
    AddType video/mp4 .mp4 .m4v
    use notepad, remember you might not see it through ftp browser trying to download it, just copy it, add line, do not erase whatever is there already!, upload it back
    more here: http://voice.firefallpro.com/2012/03/html5-audio-video-mime-types.html

- that ogg video does not exist
    - you use just HTML5 video tags, so no flash, people with old browsers will not play it even if you fix it here
    - video comes out interlaced even if it is progressive
    - deinterlace it properly in Avisynth and then you can feed Avisynth script to x264 encoder
    - encoding 1500Kbs bitrate, insisting on Main profile :
    x264 --crf=18 --profile main --ref 2 --vbv-bufsize 1500 --vbv-maxrate 1350 --output out.h264 input.avs

you restrain buffer that way because for example in just that short video of yours you have 3000kbps spike in there
    Quote Quote  
  25. Warning..Backup .htaccess file before you mess with it. If it gets corrupted you can upload the backup. Corrupted .htaccess can break your website.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks...

Always a good practice....

I looked for it this past weekend didn't see it.

Site is hosted through GoDaddy. So I set email to them.

Thanks...
    Quote Quote  
  27. Then just make new one .... it can get weird though, be careful if you're going to look for help:
    generally server providers might not like you to have or change .htaccess file, especially in your case, if you'd talk to them and you'd reveal to them that you will stream video, they'd hate that, because streaming slows down their server. They might promise (before signing up with them) "you can do whatever, unlimited" but then, if you cross some traffic they will send you warning that they are cutting you off. You might be ok though because your traffic will not be huge, with limited amount of people, just heads up.

I'd find out what server they use, and then I'd google right line to set MIME type correctly, that line I told you is for Apache server, I have no idea how different it would be (if) for different servers. I would just do it without their knowledge, as I said, they could be pesky about it.
    Quote Quote  
  28. but important thing, as TreeTops mentioned do not disregard one if there is one already there: you might not see it through regular ftp browser check it out here: http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=204506
    Quote Quote  
  29. Al's right, some web hosts put that file in the root directory so it may be hidden from your view. If you create another one that is not good either, so make sure.
    Quote Quote  
  30. Be careful with relying on unlisting your videos. It only takes someone to innocently share a link to one of your vids on their unprotected Facebook profile and google will be all over indexing it!
    Quote Quote