VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Hello everyone,

This is the first time i'm trying to digitize a VHS, namely some old family tapes from the '90s.

After one day of screwing around with this i've pretty much run into a dead end. I've gotten so far as to bring the analog audio feed from the VHS to my PC, but the video feed won't work no matter what i try.

Here's the setup i'm using;

VCR Recorder -> Standard Scart to RCA Adapter (3 RCA Plugs IN/OUT) -> LogiLink EasyCap RCA to USB capture card -> PC

And here's a pic of the whole ordeal;

So far i've tried three different applications on the PC i'm using for this, a trusty old thinkpad running win XP - They are "honestech VHS to DVD 2.0 SE" (this was the one that came with the capture card), WinAVI Video Capture and a program called VideoView. I also tried Magix Easy 4HD on my main PC yesterday but that gave me a BSOD after a short time of fiddling around, and since the capture card seems to have issues on Win7 anyway i switched over to my laptop.

I briefly got the audio to work there with the honestech application, but the video feed won't show up no matter what settings i try.
    This is what the video feed looks like in VideoView when i chose "PAL 60":

Basically just a still image with a lot of artifacts.

So my question is, how can i possibly get the video feed to work properly? I mean it *should* work properly if the sound does too, right? Is the capture card possibly a faulty model needing replacement?

I'm very thankful for any and all tips and help regarding this matter.

-Thanks in advance.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have an Easycap as well, model DC60, I've got the same problem with this USB capture device. I've tried all kinds of drivers etc. I can get a preview of the capture, with the big green mess at the bottom. If anyone has a solution I'd love to know it. I'm tempted to just toss the easycap in the trash.
    It's not important the problem be solved, only that the blame for the mistake is assigned correctly
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    98% of the EasyCap devices found online are cheap, fake knock-off crap that hardly ever work. If you didn't buy it here:
    http://www.ezcap.tv/
    ....you got screwed.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Why are you selecting PAL60 ? That is a special mode for some devices to capture NTSC tapes on PAL equipment - unless your tapes are NTSC and your equipment is PAL. Do confirm that. Please.

And I doubt if your capture device supports PAL60. Most do not.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Easycap (and other usb "tv cards") excluding the brand names ones like Ati, Avermedia, Blackmagic and others seems ( majority of members thoughts ) that is very bad low quality garbage ( no hard feelings).I noticed on the picture that you posted, that you have svideo ( black cable) and composite video (yellow connector) connected at the same time maybe that is the problem try unplug one and see how it goes.

concerning "digitizing" the VHS there couple of steps.
    1. Connect the VCR to the "equipment" on the PC side
    2. Use the best setting for capturing ( I prefer losless video in vdub 720x576 PCm audio)
    3. Repair video "errors" and use some "cleaning" of noise
    4. Encode the video in some more common play codec DVD-(Mpeg2),Blue ray (Mpeg4), MKV (Mpeg4) and burn it or copy it to flash drive for watching it on modern LCD and Plasma TV.

I think this is basic "setup" for VHS "digitizing".

[QUOTE]Why are you selecting PAL60 ? That is a special mode for some devices to capture NTSC tapes on PAL equipment - unless your tapes are NTSC and your equipment is PAL. Do confirm that. Please.

AFAIK PAL 60 has 480 lines (576 for regular PAL 50) and lower bandwidth than PAL50 for video color and signal carriers.

That may explain the green "bottom" on the picture
    Last edited by mammo1789; 27th Dec 2013 at 10:14.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Did not spot that s-video cable. That may well be the culprit( no s-video over SCART) since we do not know the make/model of your VCR. Not withstanding the PAL60 issue.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, I noticed that too - connecting a cable to both RCA and S-Video asks for trouble with some capture setups. I'm surprised your capture app, or PC, didn't crash. (Can't quite tell though if the S-Video is hooked up or it even exists on the adapter from the photo.)

I haven't used any of the capture apps you're using, but does it ask for a video source? If so, enter either S-Video or composite/RCA, and only hook up ONE of them on the adapter. If you have a choice, use S-Video.

Then again, many capture apps, especially the ones bundled with capture devices, can be quite bad. Can I suggest you try VirtualDub?

From the photo it looks like you're using the EasyCap D60/D60+. This one has been known to have compatibility issues with its USB connectors. I think it uses a Philips chipset, but the connectors are something else.

Yes, you bought a cheap knock off, and inviting issues, and you certainly wouldn't be the only one with problems using such products (just search around this Forum if you don't believe us). Some fakes are Ok, some are horrible, but you would have been better off buying the real deal, as the earlier post mentioned. The ezcap.tv is the only thing with "easy" or "cap" (or similar) that we would recommend here.
    I hate VHS. I always did.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Then again, many capture apps, especially the ones bundled with capture devices, can be quite bad. Can I suggest you try VirtualDub?
    It seems that this card doesn't support vdub ( I didn't try it my self). maybe setup problem for the OP

First off, let me tell you - This is an amazing deal. I have 3 computers, and while this doesn't work with two of them (It gets a scratchy audio noise, I think it's a problem with NVidia chipsets), it works with the third one. The problem most people are having is that it doesn't "display video correctly". After installing it, it should be recognized as a Syntek STK1160. You'll need to change the video from PAL to NTSC (If you live in America or Japan). Go to Control Panel -> Scanners and Cameras -> and right click on "Syntek STK1160" and select "Video Decoder Property". Change it from "PAL_B" (Or whatever it is) to "NTSC_M" (for America) and "NTSC_M_J" for Japan. You'll know the right one when it says "Signal Detected: 1". Enjoy ^_^

It doesn't work right with VirtualDub, but you can use AMCap (Google it) to record your video, and VirtualDub to edit and produce it.

Enjoy your AMAZING deal
    http://www.amazon.com/EasyCAP-DC60-Creator-Capture-High-quality/dp/B002H3BSCM
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, I recommended VirtualDub as an attempt, wasn't sure myself since I don't have the O/P's device, but wouldn't touch any of those fakes. BTW - the real deal ezcap.tv works perfectly with VirtualDub, and lossless YUV 4:2:2 video.

The video setting of NTSC/PAL could be a problem. For example, even my TBC has problems displaying the correct signal (such as zero chroma) when it's on the wrong setting.
    Quote Quote  
  10. (...) unless your tapes are NTSC and your equipment is PAL
    Most of the VHS have "PAL-SECAM" printed on them so i assume the same goes for the equipment. However, there doesn't seem to be a "PAL-SECAM" output option in any of the applications i've tried so far. Like i said i'm a total greenhorn when it comes to this...

Oh and i'm in europe, using a Schneider DVD-VR 500 recorder (this thing is so obscure i couldn't even find a manual on the net for it ).

Easycap (and other usb "tv cards") excluding the brand names ones like Ati, Avermedia, Blackmagic and others seems ( majority of members thoughts ) that is very bad low quality garbage (...)
    Yes i've read some tutorials and most of them mentioned how there's dozens of companies distributing this thing each under their own name. You'd think a product as wide-spread as this would work flawlessly for everyone, but apparently not.

you have svideo ( black cable) and composite video (yellow connector)
    Actually i just have the Hama SCART plug/adapter connected (it basically looks like this; http://image.made-in-china.com/2f0j00wZqaztyWggoT/Scart-to-3-RCA-Cable-AV-05-.jpg), which i plugged directly into the EasyCap. I don't think i have an S-Video cable, i'm not even sure the recorder supports S-Video in the first place.

I also read that there's some issues when more than one USB device uses the same USB power line or something to that effect;

http://www.engon.de/audio/vhs0_en.htm

quote: "You have to ensure that there are no other USB devices attached to the same extended USB controller that is used for this connector"

So i went and plugged it into a completely different USB port, but still got no video signal regardless.

For clarity here's a pic of the recorder's backside;

I've tried plugging the RCA adapter both into the Euro AV1 and AV2 scart plugs to get video feed, to no avail.
    The jacks to the right say "AERIAL" and "RF OUT/DVD/VHS OUT" if that's of any help.
    Full name of the LogiLink capture card is "VG0001A" by the way.

does it ask for a video source?
    As in a popup asking to plug it in? No not really, only when i unplug the capture card from the USB port it says something like "Device not found", and once i plug it in again, go fast forward on the tape and press "Play" i hear sound from the tape on my laptop speakers again.
    AmCap doesn't seem to work either for me. It says "AV2" in the screenshot below but when i plug it into the blue AV2 scart plug and skim through all the listed output formats (PAL B, PAL D etc) it still won't detect a signal on any of those.

Is there anything else left i could try now? Or should i just buy the original EZCap.tv thing? Would that work "for sure"?

-Best regards and thanks for all your constructive responses so far.
    Last edited by vhsguy827; 27th Dec 2013 at 16:46.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You should have a PAL setting or even PAL B/I. Do NOT select PAL60. Unless the part of Europe you are in is France which used the Secam analogue system and then you would need a Secam vcr and not a PAL one.

But there does appear to be 4 cables - one of which has a black connector - going into the easycap. Where does this cable come from?

There is also another black cable which seems to go no where ????
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by vhsguy827
    Is there anything else left i could try now? Or should i just buy the original EZCap.tv thing? Would that work "for sure"?
    Well for starters, you do have a bum capture stick and no regular in these forums would recommend it over the real deal ezcap.tv capture stick. The one you're using has a different architecture under the hood, and worst of all, has USB connectors that have issues with compatibility. No, a product so wide-spread and (badly) "copied" will more than likely achieve fragmentation, not interoperability.

I don't know what your budget is, and I can't guarantee that the ezcap.tv will work in your situation, since we're not 100% certain yet it is indeed your capture stick (although we feel at ease blaming it first). It could be more than one thing actually.

What I can guarantee however is that the ezcap.tv is a good, reliable product - among the better ones, and certainly better than yours - and can confirm it works fluidly on my end with VirtualDub and lossless YUV 4:2:2 video.

If these family tapes are important enough to you then you should be using a better capture stick regardless.
    Quote Quote  
  13. I am little confused.

1. On the picture I also see 4 wires going in to the PC? (or is it laptop?) DVD recorder? ( that you are mentioning)
    2. From the picture I can see that the VCR is actually a combo drive ( VHS + DVD player not recorder)
    3. Is it possible that the connector ( Scart cable) is SCART IN instead of OUT
    4. Is it possible that it is a driver issue ( did you try more drivers?)

Full name of the LogiLink capture card is "VG0001A" by the way.
    didn't you read the reviews before buying http://www.amazon.co.uk/LogiLink-USB-Video-Adapter-Audio/dp/B0013BXFLG most of them sad it didn't work on their PC. Also it seems no Windows 7 and Vista support at least that is what they say

If these family tapes are important enough to you then you should be using a better capture stick regardless.
    please be more specif what are you using ( all of the electronic equipment has the make name and the model of it printed on the back or on the side)

Edit
    see these links https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/340263-Windows-7-driver-for-Syntek-STK1160 , http://easycapexpertti.mybisi.com/pages/drivers#1. , http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Syntek+STK1160&sm=3 it might help you with the drivers
    Last edited by mammo1789; 27th Dec 2013 at 22:11.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I'd start by using the yellow/white/red connections from the back of the recorder instead of the SCART adapter cable.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Formerly 'vaporeon800' Brad's Avatar
    Search PM
    ^ It says those are only for DVD output.

Although, since this is a VHS/DVD combo deck, why not just go straight to DVD instead of Easycap? Or is the DVD section playback-only?

"AV2" in AMCap isn't related to "AV2" on the back of your machine. The description at the bottom, "OEM Device", is weird.

Try VirtualDub as was suggested earlier. Regardless of what some Amazon reviewer may think, it does work with the Syntek STK1160 device. If your Easycap is a different variant, perhaps not. Once in the Capture Mode, go to Video -> Capture filter... and choose PAL_B or PAL_I.
    Quote Quote  
  16. On the picture I also see 4 wires going in to the PC? (or is it laptop?) DVD recorder? ( that you are mentioning)
    That's the SCART adapter and the capture card itself, yes.

The "black cable" seems to be the S-Video connection, but like i said before i'm not using that one since i couldn't find an S-Video jack on the backside of the device (and don't have an s-video cable).

2. From the picture I can see that the VCR is actually a combo drive ( VHS + DVD player not recorder)
    Yes

3. Is it possible that the connector ( Scart cable) is SCART IN instead of OUT
    Yesh i double-checked that but it doesn't make a real difference. The sound only works when i put the SCART adapter on "output", and the video doesn't work on either option (In or Out).

4. Is it possible that it is a driver issue ( did you try more drivers?)
    I've tried at least 5 different drivers now i think. The outcome is always the same on both XP and Windows 7; I end up with a black preview picture and the only thing working properly is the sound from the tape (see screenshot below).

Same thing on my dad's PC which i tested this setup on just now; I installed the drivers and software from the CD, plugged the card into the USB port, then Win7 downloaded and successfully installed some drivers for "usbtv007", i started the tape, connected the SCART to the capture card - And am only hearing sound from the tape, with no picture at all.

Once in the Capture Mode, go to Video -> Capture filter... and choose PAL_B or PAL_I.
    I tried this and it didn't work. VirtualDub lists it as "OEM Device (Direct Show)" by the way.

What's also weird is that whilst accessing the "video render" tab in VideoView/AMCap earlier on it actually claimed that frames were being rendered in realtime - But the preview field itself was pitch-black. Makes me think the card is actually broken, but i'm not sure.

I've entertained the idea of contacting Logitech support, but i doubt they have a solution for this either. Especially considering that i'm not the only one having this problem.
    Some people seem to have severe issues with the audio and others with the video feed of this device by the looks of it, me being a part of the unfortunate latter group.

As it stands i'm leaning towards purchasing the EzCap device now and tossing this one into the trash bin like the first reply suggested...
    Last edited by vhsguy827; 28th Dec 2013 at 10:06.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Formerly 'vaporeon800' Brad's Avatar
    Search PM
    I really think this is a driver issue. "OEM Device" is not the name included in the driver INF on their website. Apparently the hardware version called USBTV007 comes up as "OEM Device" for other people too, but not the STK1160 that LogiLink's drivers claim their device to be. But it could be that they are just packaging whatever stock they get from China without regard for whether it matches the original specs.

What does Device Manager say about your current driver version and your device ID?

Click image for larger version

Name:	devmanager.PNG
Views:	9921
Size:	21.5 KB
ID:	22403
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The usual issues with these is drivers but they usually work under XP. The other thing is that usb drivers can be fickle the way they are installed. You must follow the instructions to the letter.

What I did not see discussed is the 'video source'. Have you clicked/opened up the options - the two cogs alongside the 'OEM Device' - and see what is there. You should see 'composite'

I would still unplug that black cable and just leave white,red and yellow incase the software really thinks there is a s-video connection.
    Quote Quote  
  19. What does Device Manager say about your current driver version and your device ID?
    It's not even listed as "STK1160" for me, and the ID's don't match those in your screenshot either...

What I did not see discussed is the 'video source'. Have you clicked/opened up the options - the two cogs alongside the 'OEM Device' - and see what is there. You should see 'composite'
    I did that yes, the only thing listed in the related dropdown menu is "OEM Device" and nothing else. And i'm running the honestech application on composite mode of course.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I suppose you have already eliminated the possiblity that the vcr is faulty by connecting it through that scart socket to a tv ?
    Quote Quote  
  21. Formerly 'vaporeon800' Brad's Avatar
    Search PM
    Okay well your USB device ID matches the USBTV007. Here is the driver link that the EasycapExpertti page suggests using. There is no installer; you have to "Update" the driver manually. Of course for all I know you are already using this version. If it still doesn't work, moving on to a better device sounds like the best option to me.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Or even the scart adapter is not quite fitting in the vcr. A little wiggle sometimes does wonders.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Nope still no luck, it says "the drivers for this device are already up to date".

There doesn't seem to be a way to override this message either by the looks of it...

Welp, looks like i should go and try out the "real" EasyCap in the new year.
    Quote Quote  
  24. I see that your VCR seems to have Componenet output, so why do you use a scart adaptor ? Also the scart adaptor is the good one (Scart to component?, there are component to scart which is not the same pins connected).
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by vhsguy827 View Post
    Welp, looks like i should go and try out the "real" EasyCap in the new year.
    I went with the Hauppauge USB Live/2 instead. Works fantastic on XP....I have no experience with it on Win7 or 8.
    http://www.hauppauge.com/site/products/data_usblive2.html
    The WinTV software it came with leaves much to be desired but I doubt WinTV would disappoint a newbie other than
    it's slightly confusing wording.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by cd090580 View Post
    I see that your VCR seems to have Componenet output, so why do you use a scart adaptor ? Also the scart adaptor is the good one (Scart to component?, there are component to scart which is not the same pins connected).
    USB Analog capture devices do NOT have component inputs. The only support composite or s-video.
    Quote Quote  
  27. USB Analog capture devices do NOT have component inputs. The only support composite or s-video.
    If you meant only analog usb ok although http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Description=component%20capture%20cards&Submit=ENE

many hybrid (analog DVB-T even DVB S/S2) PCI/PCie TV cards have component input for analog source including http://www.comprousa.com/en/home.html and http://avertv.avermedia.com/ and you can get component video signal out of SCART to the TV card I tried it in the past http://www.ebay.com.au/bhp/scart-to-rgb#ebayphotohosting

I wonder why the OP didn't go for the TV PCI cards with Philips 713x they are "everywhere" and are cheap as hell. I see them all the time on the gypsy market for 1 Euro or less
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I was replying to the ejit who was infering that the OP could attach component cables to his capture device when it was clear to everyone except him that the unit only accepted composite.

The issue with PCI cards is, probably the same as he has right now, DRIVERS. Should work with XP but not beyond.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Well, the new ezcap stick arrived today...

But unfortunately it still doesn't seem to work properly for me, neither on WinXP nor on Win7;

As you can see here the application properly detected the signal itself (sound also worked during my first try), but the video preview feed itself is still empty. This is the case on both XP and Windows 7.

^ This is how the ezcap is connected while not delivering any video feed.
    I also used the male to male cable seen at the bottom right in this pic to try out all the other jacks on this device in conjunction with the ezcap, but to no avail.

Note that i also followed the instructions on this manufacturer infopic down to the very last letter, and am still not getting any feed.

Does *anyone* here know what i'm doing wrong? Jeez...

Best regards
    Quote Quote  
  30. Also, i'm getting a "Error: cannot run preview graph" when chosing "MPEG2" output in VideoView...

edit: tried to capture an avi in VideoView, and it said it was recording frames of the VHS feed, but when i opened the avi (curiously enough it didn't save it as avi but just as a file without extension), windows media player was only showing a black video screen as well.
    Quote Quote