VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I asked this question before, but is there a program that will enable me to take an MP4 or FLV file and convert/edit it without re-encoding it? The end result will probably be usually be an AVI file.

Regards…JohnB
    Quote Quote  
  2. There may be programs that allow cuts and the like, and others that smart render at just the edit points. But if you're asking if you can take a video with h/x264 video and change it to another video with XviD/DivX video without reencoding, then the answer is 'no'. If you're talking about just repackaging the original x/h264 video as an AVI, then 'maybe'. But that won't do you any good if you specifically need an AVI with XviD/DivX video.
    I asked this question before...
    And the answer was 'no'? Did you think it had become possible since then?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The question wasn't totally the same and the answer wasn't 'no'. I received input from another member. I was hoping for input from others.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by Johnbil View Post
    The question wasn't totally the same and the answer wasn't 'no'.
    I hadn't looked before but since you mentioned a different answer in the earlier thread, I went to try and find it. I suppose this is it?

forum.videohelp.com/threads/351699-Editor-Software-for-FLV-MP4-files?p=2206610

It looks to me like the answer was 'no'. I was also thinking of AviDemux when suggesting ways to losslessly edit the files.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @manono

That was the topic I was about to link to.

@OP

The wording may have been different but you DID ask the same question before. Also it is against forum rules to create more than one topic for the SAME subject.

But to confirm, there is no magic software to do what you want. Change from a mp4 container to a avi container will inevitably mean re-encoding simply because you are using different codecs.
    Quote Quote  
  6. It's possible.... but chances are the AVI won't be playable using anything but a PC (depending on the video/audio the MP4 contains), which would make the change to AVI fairly pointless unless you need it for a specific reason. ie to re-encode it using a program which can't open MP4 files.

Video To Video converter will remux MP4s as AVIs. When you add an MP4 for converting, choose Direct Stream Copy from the list of conversion presets and select AVI as the output container. Video to Video Converter also has a video editor/commercial remover under the Tools menu. If memory serves me correctly you could edit the MP4, then use the Direct Stream Copy conversion preset to output an AVI.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Hi

Could you suggest me a video converter that handle many formats and able to:
    - copy video and audio streams from/between containers (for example .mts to AVC and AC3 or to MP4 or...)
    - cut videos by time or frame numbers (for example from 0:00:04,12 to 0:10:08,20 or from frame #112 to #1720)
    but these all WITHOUT recompress/re-encode? Just copy the frames or audio without touch them.

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by trob View Post
    - cut videos by time or frame numbers (for example from 0:00:04,12 to 0:10:08,20 or from frame #112 to #1720)
    Thanks
    It can't be done without at least some re-encoding. A "smart cutter" may be able to encode just the video around the cut point (I don't know of any free programs) but other than that, video needs to be edited on a keyframe and they're not always exactly where you want them to be.
    Programs may allow you to specify an exact frame but they may cut on the next keyframe etc.

Try Video To Video Converter for the rest. One of it's conversion presets is Direct Stream Copy and you can specify a different output container. If memory serves me the "editors" under the Tools menu let you apply edits using a preview while the video jumps between keyframes as you navigate. Or it displays the type of frame you're viewing on in the status bar, or something like that.
    Quote Quote