VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I know that PAL and NTSC don't exist in HD Blurays. However PAL and NTSC framerates still exist in HD Blurays. Do PAL and NTSC HD Blurays work in all countries on any Bluray player - such as any of the examples below?

PAL Framerate: 25fps
    NTSC Framerate: 29.97 fps

If I record 1080i TV I plan to convert to 720p which doubles the framerate as below:

720p PAL: 50 fps
    720p NTSC: 59.94 fps
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by VideoFanatic View Post
    I know that PAL and NTSC don't exist in HD Blurays. However PAL and NTSC framerates still exist in HD Blurays. Do PAL and NTSC HD Blurays work in all countries on any Bluray player - such as any of the examples below?

PAL Framerate: 25fps
    NTSC Framerate: 29.97 fps

If I record 1080i TV I plan to convert to 720p which doubles the framerate as below:

720p PAL: 50 fps
    720p NTSC: 59.94 fps
    If you are in a non-NTSC location, then chances are any Blu-Ray player you buy will play both "PAL" and "NTSC" video.

If you are in N. America I would not bet that there are no N. American Blu-Ray players that refuse to play video with PAL frame rates or PAL resolutions. Then there is the conversion issue to be able to correctly display video with PAL resolution or PAL framerate on a N. American TV. Look at the specs before you buy, but LG has in the past made Blu-Ray players that can play PAL resolution and PAL framerate video as well as convert them for use with a N. American TV even though the players are locked into DVD region 1 and Blu-Ray region A.
    Quote Quote  
  3. What a shame. I remember all the talk about the end of NTSC & PAL because 720p and 1080i will be universal?!

Do you know if all Bluray players in all countries support 720p 59.94 fps?

Also if I have a 720p 50fps video can I simply use ConvertFPS(59.94) with Avisynth to get it to the NTSC framerate?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by VideoFanatic View Post
    Also if I have a 720p 50fps video can I simply use ConvertFPS(59.94) with Avisynth to get it to the NTSC framerate?
    Sure, if you don't mind the resulting blending. And if it's a film you probably don't want it at 59.94fps.
    Quote Quote  
  5. What framerate should I have a for a film then? What are the negative results of using 59.94fps for a film?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by VideoFanatic View Post
    What framerate should I have a for a film then?
    Anything is better than blending to 59.94fps. Have you said what this is for? If for Blu-Ray and a film at 1280x720 then you can keep it at 50fps, or decimate (and maybe slow) it to 24fps. It partly depends on what you have for a source and how film was converted to 50fps. Me, I'd go for 23.976 or 24fps every time
    What are the negative results of using 59.94fps for a film?
    I haven't seen or heard of any film-sourced 720p/59.94fps Blu-Rays. Have you? Aren't they all 1080p/23.976 or 24fps (with a few at 25fps, I suppose)?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by VideoFanatic View Post
    Do you know if all Bluray players in all countries support 720p 59.94 fps?
    Yes, if they conform to the specs (according to Blu-ray Disc Demystified). Players in PAL countries are required to play PAL, NTSC, and film rates while those in NTSC countries are only required to play NTSC and film rates.

Not sure why you want to convert 1080i to 720p, but to each his own I guess.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Thanks that helps. I see from that image that PAL Bluray players are also required to play standard definition NTSC. Is that correct?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks that helps. I see from that image that PAL Bluray players are also required to play standard definition NTSC. Is that correct?
    Yes, but only 720x480 59.94i for authored Blu-Ray discs. Blu-Ray doesn't support the full-range of SD "NTSC" resolutions and frame rates that are permitted by the DVD spec.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Do you mean 720 x 480 interlaced 29.97 fps? I just want to double-check that PAL Bluray players can all play 720 x 480 interlaced 29.97 fps?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Do you mean 720 x 480 interlaced 29.97 fps? I just want to double-check that PAL Bluray players can all play 720 x 480 interlaced 29.97 fps?
    Yes
    Quote Quote