VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Got a new Canon Point & Shoot camera (model SX280) for Xmas, What is the best software to use to transfer the video & pictures from camera to hardrive on PC so I can burn on a DVD or Bluray disk?
    Quote Quote  
  2. No special software needed to transfer to computer, just a USB cable.

AVStoDVD is a simple, free DVD creation tool. Others can chime in with simple BR software, I use Encore.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Always thought Xmas was 25th December

Your camera may well come with software to transfer images etc. to a PC. Then you need not concern yourself with the folder arrangement on the card inside the camera. That same software should also allow you to delete the card's contents so be careful out there.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks guys, Was just searching on the net and it seems like most people are suggesting that the best way is to take the card out of the camera and use a card reader, But I really don't understand the benefit from doing it that way or using smrpix suggestion.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Taking the card out to access the files is usually faster than using a USB cable and you don't need the USB cable and you don't use up your camera batteries in the transfer.
    Even with a external USB SD card reader, still usually faster than a camera to PC transfer.

I would also have at least two cards, and one spare battery, then you can transfer some of your files and still have you camera available for use.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Taking the card out does give you the speed advantage but IMHO also gives you added risks in card mis-handling.

My mantra is only take the card out when you really need to i.e. when you have to change it.
    Quote Quote  
  7. As stated above, using a card reader or plugging into the camera is a workflow/convenience/handling preference. It makes no difference as far as the actual data. Best of luck.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks again guys, redwudz good idea about the extra batteries which I ordered from Amazon, I think I will be using the USB cable to connect to PC, I'm also going to try a software that a friend recommended it is called OnOne Perfect Photo Suite, Anyone ever hear of this?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by tarzan54 View Post
    OnOne Perfect Photo Suite, Anyone ever hear of this?
    Nope. What can it do that irfanview (free), paint shop pro ($42), or picasa (free) can't? If you're going to spend that kind of money just get Photoshop at $10/mo.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    What's wrong with the Canon software that came with your camera? It's designed for the very conveniences you're looking for. Don't think you can just plug in any piece of software and push a single magic button that reads your mind. Any way you look at it, you're going to have to read a user guide no matter what you get.
    Last edited by sanlyn; 19th Mar 2014 at 10:53.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    smrpix, Sounds like all those programs do about the same thing and since this is new to me I will look into those programs as well since I never used any of those programs, sanlyn, Of course I realize your not going to just plug something in an push a botton if so I wouldn't have had to ask, It's just that the cheap software canon gives you seems like junk, That's why I'm asking what people use an recommend.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have a Cannon Camera. I would not consider their free software as 'junk'. Of course there is better out there but for simply transfering your stuff from the camera it does a good and simple job.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    <<OnOne Perfect Photo Suite, Anyone ever hear of this?>>

Perfect Photo Suite 8 is the perfect companion to Adobe® Lightroom®. As a full-featured photo editor, Perfect Photo Suite picks up where Lightroom leaves off. With powerful tools designed specifically for digital photography, Perfect Photo Suite works seamlessly alongside Lightroom to solve common photo problems and bring out the best in your every photo. Also, a stand alone version exists. It has excellent masking features but, it's expensive.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by pepegot1 View Post
    but, it's expensive.
    Photoshop is expensive. OnOne is overpriced.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    DB83, Yes the software does work fine for that and it is what I said I wanted to do in the original post but I should have been more specific, I also what to be able to touch up my pictures and anything else that needs to be done, pepegot1, After checking OnOne website it sounds like it is the perfect software even better then Adobe, I was alittle confused on Adobe's website they have to many programs which sound like they do the same thing, These are the prices I found on their websites,
    Adobe Photoshop lightroom 5 - $119.99
    Adobe Photoshop CC - $9.99 a month
    Adobe Photoshop Elements 12 - $69.99
    Adobe Photoshop Elements 12 & Premiere Elements 12 - $119.99
    OnOne Perfect Photo Suite Premium Edition - $179.99
    OnOne Perfect Photo Suite Standard Edition - $79.95
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Photoshop Elements would be the one to go for. Learn with that. Go advanced from there.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks DB83, I will go look for a deal on Photoshop Elements and OnOne Perfect Photo Suite .
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    BTW I did not chose Photoshop Elements on price but merely on reputation. I know f_all about OnOne Perfect Photo Suite but this could simply be a re-badged product from another company (and an old version to boot).

IMHO only the photo suite from Corel would get close to the Adobe one.

The other thing when chosing a 'first buy', well it is for me atleast, is that reputable products will have third-party books. I know you do not learn from books but they are useful in getting around the software and finding the things that the manuals gloss over and more besides that no software these days comes with hard-copy manuals.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Tarzan, You seem too sincere to be a troll for OnOne, but really, nobody's heard of it and nobody uses it because there are cheaper and/or better solutions. The current version appears on NO LEGITIMATE SITES.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I forgot about Corel Products, But last night I found Photshop for $60 (Download) from Amazon and the Manual (paperback) for $27 which I ordered both so hopefully I'm all set to learn something new.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well good luck with that. Personally, I do not see the benefit of downloading software especially when, for a few days wait, you get free shipping and the cost for a phsical disk is only 3 bucks more. Add to that a 1 gig download is gonna take some minutes (and you might end burning that to a disk all the same). Upgrades/patches, yes. But not an original purchase.

Just my 2 cents on that.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    smrpix, A friend recommended it but he doesn't live close by or I would have tried it, All I did was google it and then checked their site and yes I'm no troll, not into that and I do like all the other suggestions people give, DB83, Your right, It was a couple dollars more to get the disk and I was planning on burning it to a disk, Now that I think about it I should have gotten the original disk since I have 2 day shipping with Amazon.
    Quote Quote