VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello guys

I am new to Videohelp, thought i could find an answer here.

I have bought a HXR-MC2000E 3 months ago for wedding/etc professional shooting.
    I started using it immediately, and have recorded around 10 weddings till now so last week i started to import them in Premiere pro CS6 for editing.

(please note that i do the recording directly on the internal memory and then moving it to my computers hard drive)

What i noticed is that on long takes of 10+ minutes (normally during the wedding dancing time) when the camera is on the tripod, in Premiere sequence i find those video clips losing sound and frame for 1 second every 10-15 minutes!!!
    Like it has been cut automatically by the camera during shooting, but it disables sound for 1 second and losing 1-3 frames.

I have tried to find some answers everywhere in the web with no luck.

Could that be because the product is defected in some way?
    Could it be because of a buffer issue?
    Could it be a setting that i miss to see?

Please help me out here i am going insane!

Thanks
    Last edited by Neloangelo; 24th Dec 2013 at 06:46.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    that cam has no memory it's a HDV cam that records to tape. are you using something else to record to? if so start reading the manual to see what you've messed up in the settings.

ok so you edited your post to change the type of cam to a model number and type that aren't close to what you first posted.
    Last edited by aedipuss; 24th Dec 2013 at 11:54.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    that cam has no memory it's a HDV cam that records to tape. are you using something else to record to? if so start reading the manual to see what you've messed up in the settings.
    I m very sorry, i have left the cam and the manual in my partner's office for 1 month now, and i seem to confuse the models badly i cant seem to remember exactly.
    My cam is exactly the same as HVR-HD1000U but it has no tape, it has internal memory so it should be a HVR-HD1000 model.

I m sorry for the mistake, lets focus on the problem.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Is the model HXR-MC2000U? If so, it is AVCHD model and the following information applies.

Sounds like you have imported the clips into Premiere individually. You need to copy the ENTIRE card/disk structure into a folder on your hard drive. Then , in Premiere, use the media browser and navigate to the folder. Premiere should understand the card/disk structure and you should be able to import the individual clips as one whole clip. I usually create a bin in Premiere and then copy the whole clip into the bin and then I create a timeline from the whole clip.

Brainiac
    Last edited by Brainiac; 23rd Dec 2013 at 23:24.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Neloangelo View Post
    I m sorry for the mistake, lets focus on the problem.
    Specific camcorders have behaviours peculiar to them so it's important to talk about the exact model. For example, the problem you talk about seem to suggest it's a memory card AVCHD camcorder that records in chunks of 2GB; this is what Brainiac has talked about. HDV camcorders do not have that problem, but you initially said it's an HVR-HD1000U.
    Another important thing is, the "U" at the model # means it's a 60i camcorder intended for NTSC areas, where Sony is concerned. If you shoot and edit your weddings in Greece it should have been "E", which means it's 50i for PAL areas.
    Tablet? No, I don't have a tablet. I have a life.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am so sorry i was confused for no reason.

The cam that i have is HXR-MC2000E.

It does not have to do with premiere or with the way i transfer the files, i just connect the cam through the provided cable to computer and transferthe files to my HDD.
    From there i import them to premiere, but the video clip that should be 40 minutes is already cut in 4 pieces from the cam. And its not just cut, it seems to deactivate sound for 1 second and then cuts video for 1-2 frames.

As i see there is a possibility that the cam shoots in chunks of 2GB? Can this be possible? How do i fix this?
    Is there any other reason that it may do that? Maybe it has something to do that the cam is steady on a tripod during this time?
    Because i noticed that i have some footage of 12-14 minutes where i make the shooting with the cam in my hand and it doesnt do that, while on tripod it does this even on a 10 minute interval.

Any ideas?

Its really annoying and destroying my clips.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The problem you describe is all too familiar to me. I have 2 Sony NX5U cameras and have been down the road you are on.
    Are you transferring just the video files or have you tried copying the entire folder to the hard drive? If you have not copied the folder in it's entirety to your hard drive, I highly suggest you do so. Then look in the media browser. All of the individual clips should be joined (by Premiere) into one file, provided you did NOT turn the camera on and off. Once a file reaches it's maximum filesize, then the camera creates another file. It works that way by design.

By the way, are you transferring the files by using any software supplied by Sony or are you simply using Windows to do the transfer?

Brainiac
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Brainiac View Post
    The problem you describe is all too familiar to me. I have 2 Sony NX5U cameras and have been down the road you are on.
    Are you transferring just the video files or have you tried copying the entire folder to the hard drive? If you have not copied the folder in it's entirety to your hard drive, I highly suggest you do so. Then look in the media browser. All of the individual clips should be joined (by Premiere) into one file, provided you did NOT turn the camera on and off. Once a file reaches it's maximum filesize, then the camera creates another file. It works that way by design.

By the way, are you transferring the files by using any software supplied by Sony or are you simply using Windows to do the transfer?

Brainiac
    The video clips are not in a folder in the camera, they are plain clips numbered by the cam. So i just copy and paste them in my HDD through windows.
    The problem is not happening during transferring because the strangely cut clips are numbered (eg 0023-0024-0025) which should be one big clip as i was shooting continuously.
    It has something to do with the camera itself when shooting big clips, above 10 minutes it cuts them to pieces.
    I want to know if this is normal or if its a defection or if i can even fix this with some setting or something.

You say that when the clip reaches its maximum size then the camera creates a new one and continues? Is this valid?
    Can i do anything about that?

I mean what if i want to shoot a speech or a seminar where i have to shoot for 1-2 hours non-stop?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Neloangelo View Post
    The video clips are not in a folder in the camera, they are plain clips numbered by the cam. So i just copy and paste them in my HDD through windows.
    That camera uses AVCHD. You need to transfer the memory cards entire contents to your system (the entire folder structure from the memory card/hard drive).
    http://cameraworld.skyrock.com/3198026499-Make-Sony-HXR-MC2000E-AVCHD-files-editable-f...ro-on-Mac.html
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OP, do you see any files on the camera's hard drive that are NOT video files, or folders or files that may not be seemingly unrelated to video?

And to answer you question: When the clip reaches its maximum size then the camera creates a new one and continues? Is this valid? Can i do anything about that?

Yes it is valid and is that way by design. You cannot change it.

Brainiac
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Googling your problem brings up the same advice over and over: copy the entire folder structure.

And here is the manual with several other methods: http://cinematicarts.unm.edu/documents/Cage%20Manuals/Sony_HXR-M2000.pdf
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    goodness me, why are you shooting weddings if you still dont know how to use your camera or how to import and edit the camera files.

your camera, like many others, will break up continuous video that goes over a limit of 3.99gb in size, like my panasonic AG-AC90 does.

if i shoot a single scene that goes over 22 minutes in duration, my video is broken up into individual 3.99gb files, and when i import the files to my hdd from the sdxc card (i put the card into my card reader in my pc) i import them into my editing program, and the first job i do is take all the clips that were spanned over 3.99gb and i use the "combine" tool in my editor to join those individual parts together to create a single file with no frame loss or audio issues as you are describing.

you cannot just "join" them otherwise you get that frame/audio issue that you describe.

also, any clips that you shoot that are less than the spanning duration set in your camera, you can simply join them to make a single file.

also, i dislike that camera very much, why did you not buy a camera that can shoot in 1080/60p (progressive) avchd video as well, rather than just 1080/60i avchd ?
    Last edited by glenpinn; 26th Dec 2013 at 01:12.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by glenpinn View Post
    also, i dislike that camera very much, why did you not buy a camera that can shoot in 1080/60p (progressive) avchd video as well, rather than just 1080/60i avchd ?
    I do not dislike the Sony HXR-MC2000, given that it has so-so specs and all that. But attending a wedding once I did ask a camera guy what it was about this exact model he was using and he said it's a bit big and imposing and clients paying for you to shoot their event are suitably between impressed and assuaged. It doesn't hurt that it's not as expensive as others higher up in the Sony prosumer model line, and despite its seeming bulk it's actually light and plasticky bouncy.
    I can also see that outdoor shoots in the sun do not betray its below average noise specs, and used as a B or C camera to wander in and out of a group of people at an event serves the purpose, probably with a better spec'd HDR-AX2000 as the main camera A.
    Tablet? No, I don't have a tablet. I have a life.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i shoot weddings as well, been doing it for a few years now, both back in the dvd format days, and have now resumed this business using 2x panasonic AG-AC90 cameras, which are much better than the sony HXR-MC2000E camera is as far as shooting modes, image stabilization, and its brilliant IAF system (intelligent auto focus)

i dont shoot using tripods, i built my own shoulder mount and hand held camera rigs so i can move about during my shoots, and for roaming video having a good image stabilization and auto focus system onboard the camera is a must, and panasonic is a leader in this field.

big shoulder mount cameras may have been the norm years ago for shooting weddings, but these days the smaller hand held video cams actually offer many more benefits over larger cams, and they are a lot less imposing than big shoulder mount cameras.

some people actually think big cameras shoot better quality video, which isnt the case, but i often get asked why i dont use a bigger camera myself, yet the AC90 is already a decent sized camera for a hand held, and there is no way i would want anything bigger.

i also dont understand why these days anyone would buy a camera that doesnt shoot 50p or 60p video, but again i guess its personal choice, i hate interlaced video, and will always shoot everything in 1080/50p avchd (mts) and i then output (mux) that back to m2ts or mp4 after editing for my clients.
    Quote Quote