VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Networked HDMI

Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I have a job site where I have over 20 tvs that need to display real time information. I was thinking if there is a device where I can take an HDMI output and have it travel over the existing network to the TVs and converted back. I know it is over 2000 feet between some of the TVs'. If I use the existing network there is already fiber running in between the buildings. I have used HDMI to cat5 extenders before but I can't use the network.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    but I can't use the network
    ? ... what is the issue preventing its use ... if it bogs down and unable to browse web then all the cable needs to be replaced or run a secondary network cable dedicated for the purpose.

2000 feet you'll need to use gigabit network router to act as extender ... that be 3 ... 1 at every 200m of cable length.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by MSE View Post
    I have used HDMI to cat5 extenders before but I can't use the network.
    HDMI to cat5 extends only go up to 800 feet and can't use a network. They are not IP based. I am A+ and N+ certified. All that means is I know networking.

The HDMI to cat5 extenders that I can find do not encapsulate the video for networks it just sends the raw video.

I am looking for something that can use the network and go over fiber.
    Last edited by MSE; 26th Dec 2013 at 09:10.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by MSE View Post
    The HDMI to cat5 extenders that I can find do not encapsulate the video for networks it just sends the raw video.
    http://www.conversionstechnology.com/HDMI-Extender-over-TCP-IP-Sender-and-Receiver-p/h...dom2%20kit.htm
    http://www.amazon.com/In-akustik-009120013-HDMI-TCP-Extender/dp/B007CZACQS/
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Could you put a Roku (or other media streamer) at each of the TV sets and use a PC (with capture card?) as a streaming server???
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    http://www.justaddpower.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&pr...mart&Itemid=45

I found (link above) it is almost prefect but the only problem with it is. That I am going to have many sources and to change inbetween source1 and source2 you have to do it manually. You have to go into the switches and setup and change all of the static routs and vlans. AKA Very not user friendly. I contacted their support and that is what I was instructed to do and I did get a piece of software to help with some of it. The software is for the switches and changing the VLans and such.

I am not going to go with that product because someone who is trying to change the screens has the potential to take down the entire network if they are messing with the VLans like that.

I want something similar but more user friendly.

Edit: I was also told that they do have some installed that go over fiber that is over 6 miles long with no repeaters. (you can't do that with an everyday hdmi to cat5 balun)
    Quote Quote