VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have a Pantron dvd recorder to try to record dvd from my dish network dvr.I put my dvd+r in it and it doesn't format or at least I don't think so. The recorder is new. Does it have to be connected correct to format? Not sure it is connected correct, however I can play dvd and it does that correct.Any help appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If it's a DVD-R disks or DVD+R disks do not need formatting prior to use.
    Last edited by pepegot1; 21st Dec 2013 at 19:05.
    Quote Quote  
  3. It is a dvd+r. Instructions say it will format. I put disk in and the dvd has message I can't read then it shows 00 : 00 : 00 which I assume is a timer counting up. I push record and nothing happens.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Once again, Record once DVD+R & DVD-R do NOT need to be formatted!!

Only DVDRW or DVDRAM need to be formatted the FIRST time used.

Maybe you are using the wrong disc in your DVD Recorder, some only use one format, +R or -R, or maybe it is because you are trying to record from your DVR and there is a copy protection flag stopping your recorder from burning a disc ?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ldj1002 View Post
    I put disk in and the dvd has message I can't read then it shows 00 : 00 : 00
    If you can't read the message, we can't red it either.

Recordings to your DVR are copy-protected. Even they aren't, you won't get HD through a DVR's analog outputs. Many cable/satellite providers disable analog output on some dvr's. Also, with most dvr's, you can't putput analog and HDMI at the same time.
    The recorder is new. Does it have to be connected correct to format? Not sure it is connected correct, however I can play dvd and it does that correct.
    WSe're not sure it's connected correcdtly, either. SOme of us don't have time to guess how you have it connected. Also, not sure of the model of the "new" recorder you have, but next time you might consider buying one that comes with a user guide.
    Last edited by sanlyn; 19th Mar 2014 at 10:10.
    Quote Quote  
  6. OK, I do have a users guide. I believe it was written for someone who already knows about dvd recorders, not a newby. What I can't read-- well the info. doesn't stay there long and the writing isn't good, ie v in av looks like a u. some letters are uppercase and some not. Again if I had any idea what it was saying or if it stayed there longer I could figger it out. Yall say a dvd+r doesn't need formatting. My users manual say I can use dvd+r and it also says to insert disk and it will format. If it doesn't need formatting why does it say that. The diagrams on connecting it only shows from source to the dvd recorder and not on to the TV.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I got it to work, after hours of trying. The dvd+r didn't need formatting like y'all said. Why do instructions say it will format? When I got it to work it was on accident and I couldn't repeat it before another hour of fooling around. The recorder has to be on AV2, what ever that means. On anything else and it won't work
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I got it to work, after hours of trying. The dvd+r didn't need formatting like y'all said. Why do instructions say it will format? When I got it to work it was on accident and I couldn't repeat it before another hour of fooling around. The recorder has to be on AV2, what ever that means. On anything else and it won't work
    I'll tell you why. But first of all, you need to understand that my comments are NOT directed at you. So if you run off all offended and get your panties in a wad over what I say, not my fault. Again, what I say is NOT directed at you.

The guide says that because most consumers are idiots and if they took the time to explain "RW discs need formatting but write once DVD+/-R discs do not", it would just cause more problems than it would fix. So they take the easy step by having the instructions say that the disc will "automatically format" even though it really won't because most users won't know any better any way.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    I got it to work, after hours of trying. The dvd+r didn't need formatting like y'all said. Why do instructions say it will format? When I got it to work it was on accident and I couldn't repeat it before another hour of fooling around. The recorder has to be on AV2, what ever that means. On anything else and it won't work
    I'll tell you why. But first of all, you need to understand that my comments are NOT directed at you. So if you run off all offended and get your panties in a wad over what I say, not my fault. Again, what I say is NOT directed at you.

The guide says that because most consumers are idiots and if they took the time to explain "RW discs need formatting but write once DVD+/-R discs do not", it would just cause more problems than it would fix. So they take the easy step by having the instructions say that the disc will "automatically format" even though it really won't because most users won't know any better any way.
    OH you don't bother me. I know I don't know, that is why I ask. That little formatting deal cost me several hours. I reinserted disk several times, reread several times, used several different disk. Even bought more thinking what I had was no good. OH, I know responders said it didn't need formatting but when I read in the manual that it will be formatted, well you can understand. Up until I got to the point that it actually recorded I wasn't sure. I'm sorry I didn't believe some of you.
    L.D.
    Quote Quote